Deep Cycle Battery - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2016, 09:08 AM   #1

Name: Richard
Trailer: Bigfoot 19'
British Columbia
Deep Cycle Battery

Looking to buy a group 27 deep Cycle Battery. Best bang for the buck who's got it?

Interstate, Costco, Canadian tire, Wallmart?

Getting the new trailer out just after the long weekend. Just confirmed the fridge works
evenweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:26 AM   #2

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Batttery

Quote:
Originally Posted by evenweight View Post
Looking to buy a group 27 deep Cycle Battery. Best bang for the buck who's got it?

Getting the new trailer out just after the long weekend. Just confirmed the fridge works
: we got 4 1/2 years out of our old ones which is pretty good in my books but they were bought south of the border, so we bought two at Canuck tire and they cost us $215 each but that was after the $25 off from sale price then we got $20 for each battery when we brought them back. My wife and a friend in Standard, AB installed them taking about 1 1/2 hours figuring out all the extra wires we had added over the years for this and that. Were now in Regina, SK heading for Estavan area for a few days arrive there on Friday sometime, well be spending time in Oungre, Estavan, & Cantal SK. Remember fridge monitor, lights, water pump, plugs in bathroom forward all run on Battery when on the inverter, Tow car battery is charged by house batteries at same time when driving down the road.
So those batteries do a lot of work.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:47 AM   #3

Name: Larry
Trailer: Escape
Oregon
I would steer clear of Interstate batteries I have had trouble with them as have several people I know. Purchased my Casita new in May of 2014 and the Interstate battery that came with it lasted 3 months got it replaced after a hassle with local dealers who did not want to do a warrenty. I just got back from a 2 week trip and that battery wasn't holding a charge so I tested it and it has two week cells. I recomend Trogen deep cell batteries I know a number of people who have excellent luck with them, just remember when is comes to batteries you get what you pay for.
larryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:14 AM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Interstate battery lasted 5 years. No matter what you purchase there is always the chance you might get a bad item. Purchase from a reputable dealer like Walmart or Costco. Got my new on this year at Costco during a sale.

When you purchase from a nationwide dealer you can get service anywhere. You do not have to take it back to the store you bought it from.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:44 AM   #5

Name: Larry
Trailer: Escape
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Interstate battery lasted 5 years. No matter what you purchase there is always the chance you might get a bad item. Purchase from a reputable dealer like Walmart or Costco. Got my new on this year at Costco during a sale.

When you purchase from a nationwide dealer you can get service anywhere. You do not have to take it back to the store you bought it from.
I took it to two different RV dealers and one retail dealer and none of them would adjust warrenty because I did not buy it from them, I had to drive 25 miles to the Intertate Distrbutor to get it adjusted. Two bad batteries on a row is is not chance it's poor product.

I have been involved in the parts and service end of heavy truck and equipment including large rv's for over 45 years and the batteries with least problems were Deca brand or Trogen the rest were always a crap shoot.
larryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:28 PM   #6

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Batteries

Yep one is right to buy batteries from Walmart, Costco, Canadian tire in Canada there are the 3 above stores mentioned but in the USA on the East side there is not Canadian tires, now Costco's so you are screwed out there and if there are they are far and few between, seems Costco likes west coast much more.
Canadian tire is only a Canuck thing.
But Walmart is almost every where in Canada and if not a Walmart then it is called Sam's Club.
We bought at Canuck tire as it is every where in Canada but we do travel in the USA so we would be out of luck there on a return.
I would think Walmart as the best place to go and where we bought there was a Canuck tire but no Walmart??? go figure.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:01 PM   #7

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
don't matter....

LOL....have to laugh at this discussion....have a look at where I live !!!!!
and then I bought my two GCs at........... COSTCO....4 miles away !!!!

BTW if I had two battery failures in the same year I'd be looking for a cause....heck, I did that at my first failure....and that's when I ditched the converter...happy motoring
Attached Thumbnails
home.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:09 PM   #8

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Interstate, Costco, Die Hard and some, maybe not all Auto Zone and WalMart batteries are made by the same company, Johnson Control. Repeated frequent battery failures are most likely caused by an issue with the charging system.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:17 PM   #9

Now is when this thread will get interesting.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:20 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Make sure that Walmart battery is a true deep cycle battery and not a combo deep cycle/starting battery designed for boating.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:50 PM   #11

Other than lights what heavy load will you run off the battery?
Old 07-28-2016, 02:07 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Deep cycle batteries???

True deep cycle batteries are difficult find. You'll find a lot hybrid batteries sold as deep cycle batteries. I have found 2 major brands of true deep cycle batteries, Trojan and Interstate. My preference is Trojan. I bough a true deep cycle Trojan battery for a batteries only shop. Big box stores don't carry true deep cycle batteries.
The battery I bought is a group 24 and the battery has a 100 amp hour capacity. It wasn't as cheap as a big box store hybrid.
However my true deep cycle group 24 battery has about the same capacity as a group 27 marine battery.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:08 PM   #13

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Make sure that Walmart battery is a true deep cycle battery and not a combo deep cycle/starting battery designed for boating.
Be careful on this one. I'm glad you specified the starting aspect. There are generally two types of marine batteries, one is a starting battery. The other battery is intended for long term draws and frequent recharging, as is required for trolling motors, etc. This second type certainly acceptable as a trailer battery.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:01 PM   #14

Name: Troy
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
I run two Trojan T-105 Deep Cycle 6 Volt batteries. I had them on my previous huge 30' Toy Hauler trailer and just kept them when upgraded to the Boler. Way more power than I need (lights & water pump), but why not. I run them in series, which gives me 225 Amp Hours. (As opposed to running in parallel, which gives a guy 450 amp hours @ 6 volt instead of 12 volt).

Bought them at Battery World here in Calgary. Think it was $110 or so each...
Attached Thumbnails
20160628_213442_resized.jpg  
tchadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 03:44 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchadwick View Post
I run two Trojan T-105 Deep Cycle 6 Volt batteries. I had them on my previous huge 30' Toy Hauler trailer and just kept them when upgraded to the Boler. Way more power than I need (lights & water pump), but why not. I run them in series, which gives me 225 Amp Hours. (As opposed to running in parallel, which gives a guy 450 amp hours @ 6 volt instead of 12 volt).

Bought them at Battery World here in Calgary. Think it was $110 or so each...
There's a trade off using 6 volt batteries. One the surface is sounds pretty good. However, I see some problems. The cost is higher than that of a single battery. The weight of the two batteries is 124lbs vs 48lbs for a single battery. Because there is 4 more connections at the batteries there's 4 more fail points from corrosion. Check your needs before you determine the the extra amp hours is worth it.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:08 PM   #16

Name: Troy
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
There's a trade off using 6 volt batteries. One the surface is sounds pretty good. However, I see some problems. The cost is higher than that of a single battery. The weight of the two batteries is 124lbs vs 48lbs for a single battery. Because there is 4 more connections at the batteries there's 4 more fail points from corrosion. Check your needs before you determine the the extra amp hours is worth it.
Yep definitely. I think it's a crazy set up for most of our trailers. I only have it because my previous trailer had inboard generator, electric bed in my toy garage, fuel pump, slide out, TV, sound system, etc!

Sent from my SM-G903W using Fiberglass RV mobile app
tchadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:37 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Name: Jeremy
Trailer: Compact Jr and Teardrop Trailer
Washington
I have 2 Walmart Group 27 Deep Cycle batteries. One in my teardrop and one in my Compact Jr. I am on my 2nd one in my teardrop. The first one I had lasted 7-8 years. When my first one died I looked around and I found they were still the best bang for your buck. I was going to by a Costco battery because when the were Kirkland brand they had a really good warranty. Now they sell Interstate and the warranty is the same as everyone else.
rainjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:19 PM   #18

Trailer: 78 Trillium 13 ft / 2003 F150
Deep Cycle

Hi All,

I considered two T105 Trojans for my Trillium but decided
that 120/130 lbs. on the tongue was a bit much. Instead
a Trojan SC225 Group 30H type was chosen. About 130 AH
providing plenty of power weighing about 66 lbs....

The cheap batteries from Walmart, etc, tend to go south quickly.
With meticulous maintenance my Trojan is on year 7. Present
cost is about $200... well worth it for the service it has
provided. I feel it is better to get a "real" deep cycle battery.

http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/dat...ata_Sheets.pdf

Happy Camping,
Larry H
Larry C Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:48 PM   #19

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We finally went with a Trojan batt for our 17 Ft SD, and I highly recommend it, much better quality battery than the run of mill rv/marine batts generally bought, its a true deep cycle and the available voltage has been well worth the switch.
David L. C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:58 PM   #20

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 16 Ft layout 6
Wisconsin
Deep cycle battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by evenweight View Post

I have an Interstate group 31 battery that in 7 years old and still going strong. I had it my boat for a year and then the Scamp trailer. You may want to look at Consumers report for their best battery. Most batteries are made by Johnson controls as was mentioned before. But there is a difference depending on which customer is requesting their battery be made to. Plate thickness and other items can be adjusted to make the battery more robust.
Jim in De Pere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery