Didn't "store" battery - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2009, 10:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Hello! Just have a quick questions for the battery experts before we head from Florida to North Carolina Tues. Morning. We puchased our trailer new in Oct 2008 and took our first/only trip mar 2009. Since then the trailer has been stored in our garage with the battery in it's box on the tongue. We did remove the fuse from the battery per dealer instructions but I'm wondering if the battery still would have discharged? I do plan on getting some sort of battery monitor/maintenance thing but as of today I dont have anything of the sort. Tomorrow we are opening it up to load it and get it ready but I'm wondering if I need to plug the trailer into the house (using an adapter to my garage outlet) to charge the battery for the trip and would this be complete in 24 hrs time.

Thanks for educating me,
Melissa
Old 11-22-2009, 10:35 PM   #2

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Hello

Your battery will have likely suffered from self-discharge. 12 hours plugged into shore power with the converter working should bring it to full charge.

When you have the time, go to www.batteryfaq.org and read all about lead-acid batteries.

Have a great trip!

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:50 AM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
I agree, plug into your home/garage and your battery will be fully charged in 10-12 hours!
Old 11-23-2009, 11:39 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Just don't forget to put the fuse back in first.

The simple things are easy to forget.

Bill K
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:02 PM   #5

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul
Never let a battery go below 80% it will not last as long if you do. Letting it go completely dead is murder on a battery and the longer it stays that way the worse it is. Merely recharging it does not get it done.

Ideally, it shouild be kept inside in a reasonably warm place and be trickle charged BRIEFLY for an hour or so every couple of weeks. Keeping it topped off with distilled water is also a wise move.

Sure it's a pain in the arse, bur so is buying batteries.
Judith Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:11 PM   #6

Trailer: 1974 Hunter I
Registry
Quote:
Hello! Just have a quick questions for the battery experts before we head from Florida to North Carolina Tues. Morning. We puchased our trailer new in Oct 2008 and took our first/only trip mar 2009. Since then the trailer has been stored in our garage with the battery in it's box on the tongue. We did remove the fuse from the battery per dealer instructions but I'm wondering if the battery still would have discharged? I do plan on getting some sort of battery monitor/maintenance thing but as of today I dont have anything of the sort. Tomorrow we are opening it up to load it and get it ready but I'm wondering if I need to plug the trailer into the house (using an adapter to my garage outlet) to charge the battery for the trip and would this be complete in 24 hrs time.

Thanks for educating me,
Melissa
As Judith mentions, before recharging, check the fluid level in each cell, and bring each to the fill line with distilled water. In this situation it would probably also be a good idea to buy a hydrometer (inexpensive) and check the specific gravity of each cell. Without going into specifics (so to speak), all of the readings should be very close to each other.
Don H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:59 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Thanks for all the advice and the website to learn about the upkeep of our battery. I didnt realize it would discharge even if it's not connected. I did look at it today and it's a Deep Cell Marine battery so I dont know if that matters or not. We're gonna head out tonight instead of tomorrow to split up the 600 mile trip. Easier on the kids and us too, lol.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving Everybody!

Melissa
Old 11-23-2009, 05:13 PM   #8

Trailer: 1999 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Florida
A battery that sits in a discharged condition will build up sulfation on the plates. If it is bad enough, the battery will be junk. Batteries will discharge without being connected to anything. If the top deck of the battery is dirty, current will track across it from one terminal to the other running the battery down. If the battery is discharged and freezes, it will damage it.

Test it before you write it off.
Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery