Differences - Scamp and Casita - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-02-2007, 06:43 AM   #29

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

Pete-There are also load range D tires in 5.30 X 12. I have them on my pop-up but can't remember the rating. The guy in the shop[ thought that I was nuts for having him order them until I told him that bigger would not fit.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:51 AM   #30

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Generally, at least it used to be, 12" wheels and tires had fewer choices for load ratings and styles. But for a real light trailer, they may be efficient.

The larger the wheel and tire, generally you can haul a heavier load due to the heavier thicker 6 and 8 ply tires available, design of the wheel itself, and air pressure. It's true Casita has 14" wheels. 15" wheels fit right on to the new high lift Casitas as well. In fact others here on the forum have already made that switch. Yes, Casitas do have a 3-way reefer.

Lack of bearing grease and not checking tire pressure is the downfall of the system no matter what size you are running. I may be paranoid but I always carry extra bearings, grease, and a good spare tire/wheel. And of course the tools it takes to change both out. Some areas are so remote, I could repair (hopefully) the problem before help ever could arrive. It will be great when satellite telephones become common and inexpensive.

Old 03-02-2007, 10:09 AM   #31

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
I know most members of FGRV "camp" with hookups or near the toilets so this may not matter to you. However, if you plan to do any boondocking, consider the tank sizes of the Scamp and Casita.

Scamp uses the same size tanks in all three trailer sizes: 12 gallon fresh water, 9 gallon black water and 26 gallon gray water.

My casita has 25 gallons fresh water, 17 gallons black water and 25 gallons gray water. I don't know the sizes of the tanks in the 13' and 16' Casita.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:33 AM   #32

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
I know most members of FGRV "camp" with hookups or near the toilets so this may not matter to you. However, if you plan to do any boondocking, consider the tank sizes of the Scamp and Casita.

Scamp uses the same size tanks in all three trailer sizes: 12 gallon fresh water, 9 gallon black water and 26 gallon gray water.

My casita has 25 gallons fresh water, 17 gallons black water and 25 gallons gray water. I don't know the sizes of the tanks in the 13' and 16' Casita.

Or you could go the other way, as I did and remove all water tanks from the trailer except for a gallon or so fresh water and a small jerry can under the sink for grey.

Our fresh water stash is carried in the back of the pickup where the added weight is more of an advantage.

Also it is kinda' like paying cash for everything. You use less when you can see exactly how much you have left and know what you have to go through to get more.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:26 PM   #33

Trailer: Boler and Casita
Hi Carl,
Didn't know if you would be interested, I have a 16' Casita for sale. It's nice and if you would like more info. email me at tommy@kinsch.com. Price is $4500
Tommy
Old 04-22-2007, 01:18 PM   #34

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Washington
Registry
Scamp 13 deluxe bed size vs. Casita Patriot 13 deluxe bed size:

Does anyone know what the different sizes are? Scamp claims their 13 deluxe bed is larger than their 13 standard bed.

I'd like to hear from Scamp and Casita 13 deluxe owners on bed size specs.

Much thanks,
Fran
(no trailer yet)
Old 04-22-2007, 05:51 PM   #35

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Scamp claims their 13 deluxe bed is larger than their 13 standard bed.
It's a true story. The bed in my 16' Deluxe measures 52 1/2 X 78. someone with a standard will have to give you their measurements. As an FYI...I don't THINK the bed sizes change between the 13' and the 16'
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:55 PM   #36

Trailer: Trillium
Quote:
Or you could go the other way, as I did and remove all water tanks from the trailer except for a gallon or so fresh water and a small jerry can under the sink for grey.

Our fresh water stash is carried in the back of the pickup where the added weight is more of an advantage.

Also it is kinda' like paying cash for everything. You use less when you can see exactly how much you have left and know what you have to go through to get more.
Tommy

You still have the camper?

Don
Old 04-22-2007, 09:06 PM   #37

Name: Adrian
Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico
Speaking only from experience with a Scamp, when we went in to clean and ready our Scamp for our first outing two weeks ago we noticed even after spending the fall and winter under the carport in often windy and dusty New Mexico there was no dust inside of the Scamp. The outside was very dust covered but none inside. They are very air tight.
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 11:54 AM   #38

Name: David
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ)
Colorado
Quote:
Speaking only from experience with a Scamp, when we went in to clean and ready our Scamp for our first outing two weeks ago we noticed even after spending the fall and winter under the carport in often windy and dusty New Mexico there was no dust inside of the Scamp. The outside was very dust covered but none inside. They are very air tight.

I have owned a 15-year old Scamp and a new Casita, so it is difficult to make a truly fair comparison. One thing that has not been mentioned on this thread is the flat entry door available on the 17' Casita. In the case of my two former trailers the flat door was very air tight but the aircraft style door on the Scamp was not. I made a lot of trips on dirt roads with very fine dust. The Scamp door did allow dust to enter inside while traveling, though it was never an issue when parked. I expect that a newer Scamp would have had a tighter fitting door. The curved doors have a great look, but they can be aggravating when they get out of shape. Casita uses these doors, too, except on the 17'. I think there are some old threads on this forum about sealing these kind of doors.

Tags
casita, scamp