Dirt Cheap Battery Monitor - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2007, 07:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 94 Casita Spirit Deluxe
I looked at a range of possible ways to monitor my battery output, and most of them I found costly. Someone used one of the multimeters to monitor a solar panel, so I thought, why not? Harbor Freight is a half mile away from my house, and they sell their little multimeters for about $3.00 on sale.

I joined some leads left over from a more expensive meter that died to the test leads on the Harbor Freight model so I could reach from the battery to outside the bench seat. Then I crimped on ring terminals sized to fit over the battery posts. (In my 1994 SD, the battery is in a box under the rear seat, dinette side.) I had the seat off for other repairs, so I just ran the wiring under the fiberglass bench. I put Velcro fasteners on the back of the meter and the bench (in case I want to change the position later) and was ready to go.

The cheap little meter has a back light, on/off switch and will shut itself off if I forget to do so. It is awkward to get down and read it, but it's not something I have to do very often. Works for me!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Meterfull.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	6972
Attached Thumbnails
Meter2backlight.JPG   MeterBacklight.jpg  

AZCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:00 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Good idea.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:52 PM   #3

Trailer: 84 Burro 13 ft
Thank you for the idea Charlie. I stopped in at Harbor Freight today and picked up the same one you posted in your picture. I'm good to go.
Rusty01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery