Division of Motor Vehicles - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2002, 10:24 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Division of Motor Vehicles

Ok, so I'm standing in the license renewal line, at the Illinois Division of Motor Vehicles, waiting to pay my US$30 renewal fee for my little bitty fiberglass trailer

A long line. A slow moving line. To speed things along, I'd already writting out my $30 check at home and brought it with me.

Why, oh, why is this moving so slow. Bored, I decided to actually look at the form the state sent me with my renewal.

Model: Casita Liberty Deluxe
Axles: 2
Weight: 8,000 pounds (3630 kg)

Whoa, momma! I must have purchased a bigger trailer and didn't remember! Talk about forgetful!

Naw, I didn't. The form was wrong. The 17 foot Casita is on a single 3,500 pound (1588 kg). What's this double axle, 8,000 lb noise?

Ok, when I finally worked my way to the front of the line, I mentioned the fact that the form was wrong ... and since I didn't have any proof, I figured I'd probably get sent to another line.

"My trailer's a single axle rig, on a 3,500 pound axle. The form is wrong!"

"No problem, we'll just change it." the lady said, typing a few things into the computer. "That will be $18."

"I already made out the check for $30 and didn't bring my checkbook," I said.

"No problem, you can just cross out the 30, write 18 and initial the change," the lady said. (I think I was falling in love with her.

"Is that legal?" I asked.

"No problem."

As I walked out, I turned around and made sure I hadn't entered the twilight zone or something.

But, I'm telling you, it pays to check those annual renewal forms, if your state or provincial requires annual license renewals.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 10:45 AM   #2

Trailer Weights

Hummm....:chin I knew the older ones were lighter, my certificate of title reads 1600lbs. Let's see...now what did you add on there, Charles, besides an extra axle? Don't know about other states, but since your TT went on a diet and lost an axle as well as more than half its weight, I would have thought it would have been cheaper.:chin

Thanks for a heads up...I'll be sure and check my license renewal when it comes in!

Old 11-19-2002, 11:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Orginally posted by Suz

Hummm....:chin I knew the older ones were lighter, my certificate of title reads 1600lbs. Let's see...now what did you add on there, Charles, besides an extra axle? ...
A tree, he added a tree, Suz. :yep

Old 11-19-2002, 11:58 AM   #4

Morgan

Morgan ... it was a tree until I backed into it.

Now I prefer to call it firewood, ok?

And how did you know I carried the wood on top of the trailer?

Here in Illinois, if you hit a deer with a vehicle, you get to keep the deer.

And yes, I hit a deer with Pam's car several years ago ... and we put the deer in the freezer.

So, why shouldn't the same hold true for a tree you hit?

The way I see it, you get to keep it.

Old 11-19-2002, 01:07 PM   #5

title weight

Suz:

The earlier trailers (Scamp, Casita) were titled on the 'weight before options'. :o

Options included, cabinets:hiding , grey/black tanks, propane tank, stabilizer jacks etc. etc., things that almost all of us have.

But I'd bet an '89 16' Spirit Deluxe, with all options, will actually weigh closer to 2,500 than 1,600lbs.:E :E

Old 11-19-2002, 01:19 PM   #6

hit it and it ours

I'm coming for a visit charles, I've always wanted a convertable, so I'll come hit one ( I'll use my Tom's pickup and hit it backing up where he will never notice the dent.) then take it home. won't fit the freezer, but I'll make do.

Old 11-19-2002, 01:22 PM   #7

Weight

>>But I'd bet an '89 16' Spirit Deluxe, with all options, will actually weigh closer to 2,500 than 1,600lbs

I agree that it weighs more than the 1600. Was kinda just making a point as to the difference between my title weight and his renewal slip rate. As soon as I can find a place to weigh it and someone to walk me through it (I know the basics, but need to be shown on site), I'll get the overall and tongue. I have no awning and have no grey water tank. My black water tank is itty bitty. Therefore, I would be surpirsed if it hit the 2500 you're talking about when empty. It might be when fully loaded with food, clothes, etc. I'm anxious to find out.

Old 11-19-2002, 03:03 PM   #8

I had a dickens of a time getting my trailer registered in Florida. When I bought it used in Vermont, I did NOT get a title because the "paper" weight was 950lbs and Vermont doesn't require titles on trailers (that's a key word, take note) weighing less than 1,000 lbs. Sensing an administrative problem, I collected some paperwork from the dealer citing the language and laws of VT that pertained. Hindsight says I should have gotten or arranged for a copy of the previous owner's VT registration and tag (aka license plate for you NoEast Yankees).

When I got to Florida and they asked for a title, I confidently informed them of VTs trailer title policy. And they said that was really good to know, but that was apples and we are dealing with oranges here (quite literally if you stop to consider the fruit crops in these two states) -- Florida defines a trailer as something to put cargo in (aka utility trailer) or on (aka boat trailer), whereas I was trying to register an RV, and once again where was the title?

It took a while, but I finally got it done.

BTW, one of the marks of a Full-Timer is what I call TWT (not Traveling Wave Tube for you microwave buffs, but Traveling WITH Titles). If you need or want to change vehicles on the road, it's not much help to have documents in safe deposit somewhere where they are safely out of your reach....

Pete and Rats, in the Rollin' RatHaus which weighs more like 1,700 reality pounds, nearly double the paper pounds.

Old 12-14-2002, 05:08 PM   #9

WHAT! NO TITLE!

Here is something to remember when buying a trailer in a state that does not require a title. When you buy it be sure to get the "Certificate of Orgin" from the owner. This certificate is your title & issued by the manufacturer.
I registered my little utility trailer in Florida. The trailer weighed 350 pounds empty & motor vehicle said I do not need a title for this size & type of trailer. She said I can give you a title if that will make you happy but it will cost you another 100 dollars for paper work. So I just registered it & she gave me my certicicate of origin back & said to hand g onto it for future transfer etc.
PS. A cargo trailer is one that is enclosed. A utility trailer is one that is open. MANZI

Tags
license, registration, title, vin