Do you really use your sink or stove? Should we remove? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2009, 09:10 AM   #1

Trailer: Boler
So we are thinking about removing our sink.... Right now, it is not hooked up, and I'm not sure I want to mess with a water tank, a gray water tank, and hauling water just for a sink. I usually am happy just washing dishes outside when I camp. Is there any really good reason for me to NOT remove the sink and fiberglass the hole? I'm thinking counter space would be better than a sink and I'd rather have the extra storage under the benches than tanks there.

On the same note, I'm also thinking of removing the gas stove and fiberglassing in the hole. I'm not sure our old one even works any more and it is not hooked up. We replaced the refrigerator last year with an electric dorm fridge. We figure we will always be camping with electricity (I'm that kind of girl and need my AC in the HOT summer) or if we don't we can always bring a cooler. So I'm thinking, why bother with a propane stove? I can either cook outside on my camp stove, or cook with my little electric 2 burner stove I have (either outside or inside on my nice big counter top).

Anyway, tell me why you think I'm right or wrong! Should I worry about what future owners might want in it, or just what is important / not important to us? We would keep all parts removed so they could be put back in at a later date if we change our minds.
Stacy Crotser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:47 AM   #2

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
We use the sink quite a bit and wouldn't remove it. I'd think not having the sink would effect resale if you ever needed to sell.
We're definitely looking at removing our stove. After 2.5 years we just don't use it and the space could be much better utilized. If we wanted to cook inside, which is doubtful, you can just set the camp stove on the countertop. I don't think having or not having a stove in a 13 is a big issue with resale, I've seen them both ways, but the sink could be an issue.
Of course, it's all personal and if ur not going to ever hook up the sink or use it, then it might be more valuable to you to have the addl counter space.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:18 AM   #3

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I use the stove but not the sink. I keep things in the sink when I travel so they don't go flying but never run water in it. I do cook inside on the gas stove when I don't have electric, though. Is it possible to find a one-burner gas stove? I'd do fine with just one burner as I've never yet used two at once.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:25 AM   #4

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
I keep things in the sink also when I travel so they don't go flying. Never used the sink yet, used the stove 1 time in 2 years. We cook and cleanup outside.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:45 AM   #5

Trailer: 73 Boler (modified)
Quote:
So we are thinking about removing our sink.... Right now, it is not hooked up, and I'm not sure I want to mess with a water tank, a gray water tank, and hauling water just for a sink. I usually am happy just washing dishes outside when I camp. Is there any really good reason for me to NOT remove the sink and fiberglass the hole? I'm thinking counter space would be better than a sink and I'd rather have the extra storage under the benches than tanks there.

On the same note, I'm also thinking of removing the gas stove and fiberglassing in the hole. I'm not sure our old one even works any more and it is not hooked up. We replaced the refrigerator last year with an electric dorm fridge. We figure we will always be camping with electricity (I'm that kind of girl and need my AC in the HOT summer) or if we don't we can always bring a cooler. So I'm thinking, why bother with a propane stove? I can either cook outside on my camp stove, or cook with my little electric 2 burner stove I have (either outside or inside on my nice big counter top).

Anyway, tell me why you think I'm right or wrong! Should I worry about what future owners might want in it, or just what is important / not important to us? We would keep all parts removed so they could be put back in at a later date if we change our minds.
Hi stacy. Our boler was modified when we got it, and we love the setup. here's what we got.

We have no stove. don't really want to cook inside the tiny space. we do all our cooking outside, an awning really helps facilitate this in inclement weather. we also have a camp kitchen setup from canadian tire. http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_...D=1243960699713

our sink is there, but we have no water tanks. there is the original pump faucet, and that has an intake hose which runs outside via a hatch. we use a blue water jug with a small hole in a spare cap, and stick the line in. pump away. there is also another tap, single knob. this is our curbside connection for when we are staying places with hookups. connect a hose into a fitting on the outside of the trailer, and turn on the tap. now we don't have a greywater tank...on the outside of the trailer there is a fitting next to the freshwater inlet, that a short piece of garden hose threads to, and this is the drain. we actually use a 5 gallon pail that used to be a french fry oil bucket. the lid of the bucket has a spout for pouring, and we just stick the hose in the pail. easy to empty, in an rv park, you dump it in the sanidump. in the woods...well we use biodegradable soap.

last but not least, don't plan your modifications with future owners in mind. this is your trailer, do things for YOU, not someone who's going to want to change things and make it their own down the road anyway.
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:36 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft 1990
Stacy,

I agree that you should use your trailer as you want and not worry about others. However, I should say that I use both the sink and the stove regularly. I'm in a mountainous state and windy, rainy and cool weather are the norm. Being able to use the stove and sink inside turns camping from a pain to a joy when conditions are lousy.

My sink has a small wooden insert that converts it to counter space when not being used for water. Likewise, I have a wooden "cap" that fits over my stove and converts that to counter space also. These give me the best of both worlds -- counter space when I want it and functioning utilities when I want those.

John
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:37 AM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
I think the comment about potential resale value of keeping the sink is a good one.

We use the sink for storage and keep a board over top of the sink to act as counter space. I use the sink for those things you need frequently, but don’t want sitting out – like medications, toothbrush and toothpaste, bug spray, sun screen, pens (for the crossword puzzles) - anything small. The board just lifts off when we need access, so it’s real handy.

We use our stove for morning coffee. And only very occasionally otherwise. If it is really rainy and wet and cold, it is nice to have the option. That said, we also have a fantastic fan and use it to vent the odors.

Dianne
Dianne Dohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:05 PM   #8

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

We normally boondock.... The sink is used to hold theings as we travel, cups, clock, ashtrays, potholders, etc--- the things that are immediately used as we travel. The we put a 5 gall drain bucket outside for the waste water that is generated. The original built-in stovetop was gone when we got the trailer. I put a sheet of Stainless (removable) over the cutout and on top of that is a Century brand proane stove that is piped in to the propane system. If we want/need to cook outside, I unhook the stove and put a throway bottle on it outside. But, since we use the trailer in the fall/winter for a hunting camp we have to be able to cook inside. Besides, it's easier to make coffee the first thing in the morning. But, it all comes down to what works the best for you is what is the best........ Larry

Oops- had to come back and edit... In the space where the original stovetop used to be recessed, I put in a humungous silverware drawer and a full width (and full depth) cutting board. Then, since I can lift the SS sheet over the hole, we store the extra paper products that one is always running out of, paper towels and T.P. in the space behind the icebox (otherwise that would be dead, unused space. Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:36 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Once I was going to remove all the propane out of my trailer, I'm always hooked up. Prefer to use electric appliances (coffee pot, crock pot, microwave, toaster oven) or cook outside over a camp fire. Rarely have I used the stove. The Scamp furnace is noisy.... the cube heater is quiet and very efficient. THEN we had a horrible snow storm. I've long since given away most of my tent camping equipment... I own a trailer! Fortunately, I haven't had to "move" into my trailer, but with all the propane appliances I know I could... and be quite comfortable. I know others have had to use their trailers as a home-away-from home, due to inclement weather, fires or hurricanes.... are you one that may need the trailer for that availability?

I use my sink a lot. Washing the face and brushing the teeth before bed, etc. Dumping the tanks isn't bad and I always have a couple of gallons in jugs for drinking water anyway.

But in the end, it's your choice. It's what makes our trailers uniquely our own.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:00 PM   #10

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I've camped all my life and finally got an RV, my Scamp 8 years ago. When I ordered it I knew that I didn't want to cook or wash dishes outside on a regular basis so I got everything that enables me to be self contained. I've carried a camp stove for years and rarely use it unless it's just too hot to cook inside. The sink is used for a variety of jobs, an actual sink for dishes, a lav. sink for teeth/face etc, a place to put things while traveling and then a cutting board with a cover over the top of it.

It's up to you how you'd really like your trailer setup. Resale could be an issue on the other hand, maybe not. These little trailers are so popular there is bound to be an interested party no matter how the trailer is configured.

I made the dinette into a permanent bed and saved the dinette cushions for resale. Then I thought "hey there in my way let's get rid of them someone will purchase my trailer however it's setup". So I sold the dinette cushions.

Don't worry about it, it's your trailer.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:30 PM   #11

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I mostly cook and wash outside, But do wash a few things inside just to keep up. Only thing I have ever cooked was a can of soup (once), Ive boiled water for hot choc and tea, but other than that we don't use the stove. But I like the idea that if it's raining out side I can at least cook a quick meal if need be. As for the sink, It's a great place to wash hands, granted we have the sink in the bathroom but the kitchen sink is more within reach. As others have said, do as you see fit. I personally wouldn't care about re-sale, cause for me it's not about the money. But that being said, if you even think you will be selling in the next few years then I would consider replacing the sink, stove and fridge otherwise make it your own and enjoy it. Now when we had the Class A, C Class etc I always cooked and washed inside (more room). The egg is a different type of camping for us. Please post pic's of your new counter top if you get rid of it all. Would love to see it. Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 03:00 PM   #12

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
If you want to remove the sink and stove go ahead, it's your camper do what you want, But I would store that stuff in the attic so when I sold it later on I would have it available for the new owner.
Otherwise it could affect the resale value.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 03:25 PM   #13

Trailer: Boler
Quote:
If you want to remove the sink and stove go ahead, it's your camper do what you want, But I would store that stuff in the attic so when I sold it later on I would have it available for the new owner.
Otherwise it could affect the resale value.
Oh for sure! If we remove them, we will keep them!
Stacy Crotser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:51 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

We have a 12 gallon fresh water tank which we have yet to use. We use the hose to the hook-up. Our sink can put water in our huge pot (12" dia x 7" high). Then we heat the water on the stove - propane heats amazingly fast. We close the drain, put a little dish detergent in the sink, and then add some of the hot water. We wash the dishes in the sink and rinse them in the pot. We use the rinse water to rinse out the sink which drains through an outside fitting and via a short length of old automatic washer hose, with one end fitting cut off, into a covered 5 gal pail. I have yet to fill the pail. I just empty it into the nearest toilet on a daily basis, just like our porta potti. Works well for us!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:35 PM   #15

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
My wife loves to cook and we are definitely not restaurant people. She also dislikes paper or plastic plates. So the stove and sink are absolutely necessary.

Only two of the burners in our old Scamp worked when we bought it. The top was rusty and the aluminum burners corroded. I cleaned it up and painted the top with high temp enamel, but that lasted only about a week of boondocking.

I found and built in a yacht quality rv sized stove. It is a joy to use, however a top quality counter top camping stove would work just as well.

For washing we use three equally sized stainless mixing bowls -- one for washing dishes, one for rinsing dishes and the third for hand washing and sponge bathing. These fit into and are used with a built-in sink made from the lid of a burned-out stainless steel fry pan.

Were I to do this again, I saw a nice oil change apparatus for about ten bucks at wally mart that would be a combination sink and drain tank and would just set on the counter top. Don't know why I didn't see this possibility before but it would be perfect for out traveling style. It would free up space in the cabinet. This is such a good idea, I may re-do ours.

So, you see, there are a multitude of options. One of them is perfect for your camping style!
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:18 PM   #16

Trailer: Boler 1984
We too have a Boler and the sink does get used. Mainly for wash up and teeth cleaning before settling down for the night, but also when cooking indoors when travelling or in really bad weather. I just purchased a new hand pump to replace the exizting one that doesn't work too well and a 12v water pump so that we can have presurized water when we use the battery. Ours drains to a 5 gal sealed can outside. Some of the older Bolers drained directly onto the ground behind the wheel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	outlets__1_.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	20746
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:14 PM   #17

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
We use the sink a lot--washing dishes & utensils, washing hands, brushing teeth, etc. I love the convenience. In fact, we replaced our original 4 1/2" deep sink with an 8 1/2" deep bar sink I found on Ebay to make it easier to wash larger items. We also installed a bar faucet. Works great for us!
The cooktop was another story. After a couple of camping trips, we decided not to use it any more because it heated up the camper so much. We removed the cooktop & bought a combination microwave/toaster oven for quick indoor cooking. We do most of our cooking outdoors though.
Everyone's needs are different, so modify your camper to suit your specific needs. Good luck!
Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:01 PM   #18

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

When I bought the gutted-out shell that was my Compact Jr. I felt I was moving up from tent camping, but not too far up. While I did replace the kitchen base cabinet, I did not install either a sink or stove. I DID install a 10 gallon fresh water tank under the bench and a manual pump faucet on the counter top, BUT I used a plastic dishpan on the counter and the pump faucet was tall enough to pump into the dishpan. Most of the time, the dishpan was stored in the cabinet under the counter. We used bottled water for drinking and making coffee, in the electric countertop drip-u-lator.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:07 AM   #19

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi Stacy! Here's our 2 cents worth ... we use both the sink and the cooktop in our Scamp13. We cook outside in good weather or for 'odiferous' stuff we don't want hanging around in the 'rat fur'. However, we have been grateful for the cooktop many times during storms ... or the time a bear came to breakfast last Sept! We moved inside in a hurry! A large cutting board over the sink provides added counter space when needed (and hides the dirty dishes ) .

We use our sink in most of the above-mentioned ways. I usually wash dishes in two dishpans (whether inside or out) because the sink is so small. Our Scamp is pretty basic. We have the fresh water tank but neither grey nor black holding tanks. The grey water from our sink collects in a small 'blue boy' type container which is easily emptied at the dump station as needed. We tried the 'bucket with a lid" thing, but some CGs frowned on that. As we have mentioned in other posts, we dry-camp, sometimes for long periods, and these arrangements work fine for us.

As others have said, making the most of your Egg-speriences is what's important - set it up to suit your camping style and hit the road. We wish you safe journeys and many happy memories. L 'n D
Old 06-03-2009, 06:51 AM   #20

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500 Deluxe
Hi Stacy,
We have 2 rooms with 2 sinks in our 1978 Trillium 4500 Deluxe. We use both for rinsing food, washing our hands, washing our face, and brushing our teeth. When traveling we too use as a additional storage for the last minutes items before heading out. We cook outside too, but my wife enjoys the large 3 burner stove top. I may cook the bacon outside and she prepares the eggs, french toast on the inside. Plus we love the aroma of "Hickory-Smoked Maple Bacon passing through our site and others too.

Dave
"The Trillium King"
Dave Baston is offline   Reply With Quote