Does Scamp ship to Canada? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #1

Name: Don
Trailer: 1978 Boler 13'
British Columbia
Does Scamp ship to Canada?

Might be interested in buying some parts from Scamp, wondering if anyone can confirm whether they ship to Canada? Thanks.
desy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:21 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Yes Don, they do. Just be very careful. If they ship postal, it canl be EXPENSIVE. Chuck ships to Canada too: Fiberglass |Travel|Trailers |RV and you might want to check: Fibreglass RV Parts, Repairs, and Service by Paul Neumeister
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:39 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
When shipping items from the US to Canada try to have them shipped by US Postal Service. This will be by far the cheapest and I have always received the item in good shape, no damage. At the most you will be charged shipping (which is far cheaper than any courier), GST/PST and sometimes a $5 per package customs fee.

All the carrier companies like UPS, Fed EX, etc will have much higher shipping fees plus brokerage fees, importing fee and the list of fees goes on.

Just last week I was forced to have a shipment sent to me by UPS, on a $140 item that weighed 40 pounds I was charged $190 shipping plus a $50 importation charge when it was delivered.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:45 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
When shipping items from the US to Canada try to have them shipped by US Postal Service.

I bought a couple of door hinge repair kits for my Boler from Scamp several years ago. I ordered by phone and they promptly mailed them (that is, shipped by USPS/Canada Post) at a trivial cost with no problems.

I have no recent or other experience with Scamp, and I note that (understandably) they do not guarantee fit for - or accept returns from - owners of trailers other than Scamps. The hinge kits (I only needed the ball and only used the ball and spring) fit the Boler properly.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:25 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I have purchased from Scamp but the problem is they have one and only one way of shipping and the shipping costs are often a lot higher than purchasing from other US on line stores. Most of what they sell can be purchased from other locations (even local) but if it is something only they have such as doors and cushion covers etc then if you have a friend who lives close to the border in the US I would have Scamp ship the items to them instead.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

I bought a couple of door hinge repair kits for my Boler from Scamp several years ago. I ordered by phone and they promptly mailed them (that is, shipped by USPS/Canada Post) at a trivial cost with no problems.

I have no recent or other experience with Scamp, and I note that (understandably) they do not guarantee fit for - or accept returns from - owners of trailers other than Scamps. The hinge kits (I only needed the ball and only used the ball and spring) fit the Boler properly.
Good points Brian, I also bought their hinges for my Boler, they work great but you need to drill new holes as these hinges are located different, have a different offset and use 3 screws (bolts) on the body side of the hinge.

Back to shipping I did the same, a phone call and shipped quickly and inexpensively by US Postal/Canada Post
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:47 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Just make sure shipping is by USPS and not those brown guys. I got a bill for $50 for customs clearance two weeks after receiving the package via UPS. Have never had an issue as long as I specify USPS/Canada Post.
Also, etrailer.com has a warehouse in Ontario. When I order from them I ask that they ship it from there if possible.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:17 PM   #8

Aaaak, I realize my post sounds backwards. The point is CALL, don't order off the website. Someone here on FiberglassRV ordered small decals that could have gone into an envelope... instead they were charged $14 (?) postage...
Old 02-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #9

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
To reiterate what some have said. only use USPS. NOT UPS or Fedex.
Their fees may be hidden and they will only ad them upon arrival, with hold your package and return it if not paid in 48hrs. My experience anyway.
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:54 PM   #10

British Columbia
Thanks for the responses. What I'm looking at right now are some small items, so thought maybe I'd do okay on the shipping because of the size. Another potential option might be to have stuff shipped to a friend's mailbox that he maintains over the border (we're in Vancouver).

Going to tack a few additional questions onto this post if that's okay:

1. Has anyone used the Scamp gravel shield hardware on a Boler gravel shield, and how did that work out? (the hardware is one of the items I'm thinking about ordering).

2. Does anyone know of a source for the appropriate pop rivets and plastic washers and snap caps for a Boler that's either in the Lower Mainland or handy to order from (gravel shield hardware too, for that matter)?

I'm looking at replacing a lot of the pop rivets, and assuming that I can find the appropriate rivets pretty easily (standard hardware items, I assume?), but less sure about the plastic washers and snap caps. Over time a lot of the rivets on our trailer have rusted, along with the metal brackets that the rivets hold in place, so wanting to replace them and make sure they're watertight with caps and everything.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:55 PM   #11

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by desy View Post

2. Does anyone know of a source for the appropriate pop rivets and plastic washers and snap caps for a Boler that's either in the Lower Mainland or handy to order from (gravel shield hardware too, for that matter)?
There's nothing special about the rivets. Any hardware store can supply them, and probably at a much lower price than you can get them for online from any "specialty" site.

And while we're on the subject:
It's the rivets themselves that provide any waterproofing, but they must be properly installed. Don't waste your money buying "caps" for that purpose. Those are strictly cosmetic and, again, any hardware store can supply you with those that will fit the size of the rivets they sell.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:22 PM   #12

British Columbia
Thanks for the input, Francesca. You're saying that there's no extra waterproofing to be gained by adding the caps and washers? If so, I won't bother with them. I'm not at all familiar with riveting, so thought maybe the caps and washers were an improvement that came about sometime after my Boler was made.

As I mentioned in my OP, most of the rivets and the metal brackets they hold have rusted pretty badly over time, and I'm looking at having to replace some of the interior furniture because the wood has rotted around the rusted brackets. I thought adding caps and washers might help make it more waterproof this time around, since the head of the rivet would be fully enclosed in plastic so not exposed to any water, and therefore not susceptible to rust?
Old 02-13-2013, 10:27 PM   #13

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBirder View Post
... only use USPS. NOT UPS or Fedex.
Their fees may be hidden and they will only ad them upon arrival, with hold your package and return it if not paid in 48hrs.
True!

Many U.S. suppliers will quote a shipping cost, with a fine print footnote saying that anything might be added by the shipping company, and deny knowledge of the excessive "brokerage fee" that every "courier" company (but not the post office) will add as ransom. Buyer beware.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:08 PM   #14

Trailer: 1977 TM14 Surfside / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Don, Escape Trailers are located in Chilliwack. They do repairs on all types of fiberglass trailers. If you phone and talk to Tammy or Reece, they can tell you where they get their supplies from. They are very easy to talk to and don't mind answering questions. Marina
Marinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:10 AM   #15

Name: Drew
Trailer: Trillium
Alberta
Registry
Trillium is also in Calgary, the owner Joe is a nice guy, he's helped me with a number of things over the last couple of years. I've never needed anything shipped as I can just walk in, but he's often given me advice over the phone or by email. They do a lot of restores along with the new trailers.

Compact lightweight fiberglass Outback travel trailers Calgary | Trillium Trailers
Old 02-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #16

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by multi-task View Post
Trillium is also in Calgary, the owner Joe is a nice guy, he's helped me with a number of things over the last couple of years. I've never needed anything shipped as I can just walk in, but he's often given me advice over the phone or by email. They do a lot of restores along with the new trailers.

Compact lightweight fiberglass Outback travel trailers Calgary | Trillium Trailers
I'll second this re. Joe Thoen's helpfulness-

Way back in ought-six when I decided to put a pulldown awning on my Trillium, he went to great lengths to supply me with the tube/arms/hardware. Though awnings are ordinarily of course sold with the fabric, Miss Cheapskate here wanted to install that herself, thus saving a Bundle. Joe was most accommodating, supplying me with what I wanted at a fair price.

And he probably still remembers as do I the hoo-haw that he had to go through when U.S. Customs wouldn't let the tube across the border, sending it back and making him jump through some kind of homeland security hoops before he could ship it again.

I guess they must have thought it was a rocket launcher or something......

I hope he at least wound up breaking even on the deal!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:15 PM   #17

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by desy View Post
Don, you will have no problem buying the rivets at Rona or Home Hardware or Home Depot. They also have the caps and washers should you decide to add them. You can pick up a Rivet Gun for not a lot of money from a place like KMS Tools in Coquitlam (by Ikea) - the one I got from them came with a lot of different sized rivets with it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #18

British Columbia
Thanks very much for all the feedback folks, and helpful suggestions. Might be better to start a new thread with one of my earlier questions, but want to throw it out here again before I do:

Anyone familiar with using the Scamp gravel shield hardware for the front gravel shield on a Boler? Not seeing this particular part listed on any of the other parts suppliers suggested, and would really like to replace the hardware on our Boler before it rusts away completely and we lose the gravel shield.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:50 PM   #19

I purchased an "after market" gravel shield for my... at that time.. 20+ year old Scamp. I bought exactly what was described. The very best is to order THAT part when ordered new. That being said, the gravel guard that I bought is nothing more than a FLAT piece of fiberglass that "shapes" to the front window when under tow... due to wind pressure on the trailer.

I got what I paid for. And it works. Not perfect, but works. I wouldn't purchase Scamp's mild steel stuff again (it rusts), but a marine fix (stainless), which DELAYS rust problems (and costs a bunch more). YMMV

Tags
scamp