Dometic fridge - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-26-2014, 10:07 PM   #1

Name: Peg
Trailer: Scamp
Wyoming
Dometic fridge

I recently put in a fridge in my 1995 13' Scamp..it's great when it works but too often it will just go off while I'm parked. It is really difficult to get started but I'm used to that, going off in the middle of a trip is a drag. I usually dry camp but recently plugged in and the refrigerator didn't seem to work.
I always check my propane and turn the correct switches on.
Anyone else having trouble with their refrigerators?

Old 08-26-2014, 10:42 PM   #2

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I had that same problem. I did EVERYTHING listed within this forum to try to correct it, and it never did solve the problems. I replaced it with a NOVAKOOL 12volt only refrigerator with a 100 watt solar panel to keep the battery topped off. We camped for months on end without any problems after that, and it kept everything cold no matter what the outside temperature was or how much the wind was blowing.
Lots of Luck
Dave & Paula

Old 08-27-2014, 04:01 AM   #3

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Peg I had similar sounding problem with mine in the spring and I wasn't getting a good healthy flame... had spider webs clogging the jet. Norcold 3way fridge in my ParkLiner

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:05 AM   #4

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
After following Deryk's suggestions, if it still has problems, give us a little more help with the model number and age of that Dometic refrigerator. Also tell us about the install and vents etc.

I just removed a Dometic Model 23 that was 40 years old and it still worked fine on both 120VAC and LP and the slightly larger Dometic RM2193 I installed stays ON, on LP gas, 24/7 for days at a time, including travel time.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:08 AM   #5
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegski View Post
I recently put in a fridge in my 1995 13' Scamp..it's great when it works but too often it will just go off while I'm parked. It is really difficult to get started but I'm used to that, going off in the middle of a trip is a drag. I usually dry camp but recently plugged in and the refrigerator didn't seem to work.
Used? Might need cleaning. Used or new- All LP fridges have a safety valve that is held open by a thermocouple that is in the flame. If the thermocouple is not adjusted right or is faulty, the valve will close and the flame will go out. Raz
Old 08-27-2014, 10:08 AM   #6

Name: Michael
Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2011 Toyota Sienna
Ontario
Dometic fridges sometimes have bad grounds.

Some Dometics (My RM2607 from 1993) would cut out like that for no 'apparent' reason. After investigating, I replaced the main circuit board with a Dinosaur Micro P-711 replacement for about $110. The reason for the Dometic failures are usually the grounding of the heavy thermocouple wire from the sensor detecting that the flame is on. For some reason, Dometic connected only one end of the thermocouple to the actual board and depended on a frame ground for the return path. That thermocouple only develops voltages in the millivolt ranges, that is: around 25 - 50 thousandths of 1 Volt. So any minor resistance or bad connection will kill the voltage, shutting off the gas. The other 'problem' that Dometic did, was not retry igniting the flame after it goes out. You have to shut off and restart the fridge with the buttons.
The Dinosaur replacement boards 'solve' these issues and it has been flawless for the last 4 years.
I have no affiliation with Dinosaur Electronics, but am just a satisfied user/customer, tickled pink with how their board solved my problems.
Mike
Old 08-27-2014, 10:46 AM   #7

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegski View Post
What the model number of fridge do you have & its age? that would help a lot in making a suggestion as to what the issue may be.

The original Dometic fridge in my 92 has never gone out once light on propane. It has run for days on end without issue. I do have problems lighting it for the first time if it has not been used for more than a few months. Once its been light once it normally lights fairly easily the next time I use it - sometimes I do need to heat up the tubes a little bit (about 40 secs) with a lighter first though.

If it was my fridge and it was always hard to light or going out I would first look at cleaning the tubing, as suggested all it takes is a spender web to create problems. If that was not the problem I would then have the propane pressure checked to make sure it was set correctly & there are no issues with the regulator.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge