Dometic fridge failed! Bummer! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2013, 01:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2003 Honda Odyssey
Dometic fridge failed! Bummer!

Hi;
I was just de-winterizing my 1993 Bigfoot 17CB and found my Dometic RM2607 has failed over the winter. Rats!
I've done all the tests and it looks like to Cooling Unit has failed. Apparently, when not in use, the cooling tubes that have condensation on them rust away until they finally rust through, leaking all the magic gasses and such from inside.
Oh well, 20 years is OK I guess.
I've ordered a replacement cooling unit, with shipping to Canada, for an exorbitant sum, especially when the UPS hit me with their Custom Clearing Charges but still lower than the $1395 + 13% HST that the Canadian Dealer wants!
YouTube shows replacements take about 4 hours so I'll see if that's close.
Like I needed another project!
Mike .....>
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Pupeza View Post
Hi;.
Like I needed another project!
Mike .....>
Yeah, especially this time of year. I hope the install goes well. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:00 PM   #3

Dometic RM2607 repaired. Yay!

P.Raz and others,
OK, it's back together, cleaned and working well. Unlike the YouTube excellant videos where they took 4 and 6 hours, I took about 8, over 4 days. The Amish rebuilt cooling unit arrived into my home in Canada in 4 days, clearing customs with the tax and UPS Broker charge of $91. That made the cost of $766 at less than 1/2 of a Canadian Dometic Dealer price.
Part of the extra time was vacuuming, cleaning, and extra care that I claim to have used. It's my story, and I'm retired.
I did take some pictures but the YouTube videos tell it well and there's not much more info.
It was NOT as difficult as I anticipated and my wife was able to help pulling it out and a neighbour helped put it back. All else was a one person job. I took off the doors and shelves and loose trim but that was not essential.
So, I powered it up at 4:00 PM with an ice cube tray of water in the freezer, and am now sipping a Scotch on ice cubes at just after 9:30 PM, powered by AC. Oh yah, the DC and Gas functions also work.
Good work Mike, Have another Scotch.
Guys and Gals, don't be intimidated if your unit fails, It ain't that hard.
Mike .....>
Old 05-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Good for you Mike!

Any chance you could provide a link to these good YouTube videos you used? Might help someone else...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:56 PM   #5

YouTube, like Google, is your friend!

Donna, and others;
Just type 'Dometic cooling unit' in the search box for YouTube.com and a bunch of videos show up. Just watch a few and it will become clear on how to do the job.
Norcold and/or other types/problems can similarly be found.
Typing "how do I fix XXXXX' of almost any problem into Google Search will often also give many hits. Don't be shy in trying this as we know "It's all been done before" by other people, some of whom have documented videos or text onto the Internet.
Learn how to use the right click 'Open Link in New Tab' that allows you to have a bunch of pages lined up at the top of your Browser so you can jump from one to another and be able to compare quickly without wiping out your present page.
I was able to gain confidence to do this job by watching others do it!
We can do it!
Mike .....>

Tags
fridge