Door gasket material - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2009, 04:28 PM   #1

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Hey; anybody know what door gasket material is used on a new Casita 13/16?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:04 PM   #2

Registry
Quote:
Hey; anybody know what door gasket material is used on a new Casita 13/16?
C'mon! Somebody has a 13 or 16 Casita with a door and maybe even a photo or two?
Old 07-19-2009, 03:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 1970 Campster
Quote:
C'mon! Somebody has a 13 or 16 Casita with a door and maybe even a photo or two?
You might consider calling Casita in Texas. Lots of other folks have gotten parts directly from them. . . why not try getting the gasket material directly from the source? Just a thought. Here's their phone number: 800-442-9986
Lisa H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:19 PM   #4

Registry
Quote:
You might consider calling Casita in Texas. Lots of other folks have gotten parts directly from them. . . why not try getting the gasket material directly from the source? Just a thought.
I have a Scamp with an acceptable alternative to their stock gasket, I was just wondering what the Casita used and how well it worked. Thanks for the sensible reply. I may call them and ask, but only an owner would likely have an unbiased opinion.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:51 PM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
My 16' Casita SD is not new but a 1994 and the previous owner may have changed it with newer stuff from casita (not sure)but it works very good and is not glued on at all but just slid into the door edge.... I even pulled it away on the outside and the inside to give you a better look. when looking at it from the inside picture do not be fooled by the white cover in the background as i always keep it covered and may confuse you.
Joe

Outside

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010029.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	21881

Outside pulled away for reference

Name:	P1010030.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	21882

Edge of door (outside and inside view ... white background is cover on trailer)

Name:	P1010031.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	21883

Inside.... door open looking out (white background is cover on trailer)

Name:	P1010033.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	21884

Inside.... door open looking out and pulled away for reference and the glue on the rug may be from previous edging (white background is cover on trailer)

Name:	P1010034.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	21885
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:45 PM   #6

Registry
[quote]My 16' Casita SD is not new but a 1994 and the previous owner may have changed it with newer stuff from casita (not sure)but it works very good and is not glued on at all but just slid into the door edge.... I even pulled it away on the outside and the inside to give you a better look. when looking at it from the inside picture do not be fooled by the white cover in the background as i always keep it covered and may confuse you.
Joe

Outside

Attachment 21881

Outside pulled away for reference

Attachment 21882

Edge of door (outside and inside view ... white background is cover on trailer)

Attachment 21883

Inside.... door open looking out (white background is cover on trailer)

Attachment 21884

Inside.... door open looking out and pulled away for reference and the glue on the rug may be from previous edging (white background is cover on trailer)

Attachment 21885

Thanks , we who own Scamps are constantly seeking an improvement to the stock gasket. What you have is the equivalent of a traditional automotive trunk gasket. It is a nice solution.
I used an "Omega" shaped closed cell material with great success but I am about to switch to a "D" shaped closed cell material which is more attractive, and hopefully as effective. I have seen a Scamp or two with a similar gasket to yours , but it appears that your door is designed to better accomodate that approach , whereas I think the Scamp is better suited to the gasket glued to the Jamb. Score one for Casita! And thanks again. I assume your door is leak proof?
Old 07-19-2009, 10:54 PM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
"Knock Wood" on the Leak Proof..... hope it stays that way. Now that you say it it sure is alot like a trunk gasket but i should have put a ruler next to it because the bubble part on the inside is much larger and theres no channel like in a trunk for water to run thru.Hope you find what your lookin for.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:28 AM   #8

Registry
Quote:
"Knock Wood" on the Leak Proof..... hope it stays that way. Now that you say it it sure is alot like a trunk gasket but i should have put a ruler next to it because the bubble part on the inside is much larger and theres no channel like in a trunk for water to run thru.Hope you find what your lookin for.
Joe
I spend a lot of time working on various fiberglass trailers of all sorts, but the only Casitas we see here in the midwest are 17s, I have only seen one 16, and have never seen a 13 Casita in person and we've been to LOTS of gatherings over the years. So my inquiry was intended to to gather information that can be used to improve my knowlege of the genre and use the best ideas to improve each trailer I work on. We already have a very satisfactory[non-stock] seal on my 13 Scamp, and may have even found an improvement [cosmetic at least].
Thanks for your efforts, and the great pics!
Old 07-20-2009, 10:52 AM   #9

Trailer: 2008 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
I have a Scamp with an acceptable alternative to their stock gasket, I was just wondering what the Casita used and how well it worked. Thanks for the sensible reply. I may call them and ask, but only an owner would likely have an unbiased opinion.

Would you mind sharing your Scamp solution? We need a new gasket.
RachelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:57 AM   #10

Trailer: Casita Freedom Deluxe
I recently replaced my door gasket on my 16' Casita with a gasket ordered from Casita factory. I tried going to autoparts store and gettting a gasket there, but it was not long enough to go around the whole door frame. The one from Casita slipped right on without a problem.
rlazenby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:03 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Would you mind sharing your Scamp solution? We need a new gasket.
A friend sent me a piece of material that works and looks great on his 5er.
He added a shim[about 1/8th"] to his hinges to allow for a better fit.
A 50ft roll will do about Four Scamp Doors.

Here it is.....

http://www.tweetys.com/rubberseal34x91650.aspx

I use a Square closed cell foam for the bottom , I would need to measure, but I think it is about 3/4"X3/4" OR 1"X1"
Regards;Floyd
Old 07-22-2009, 10:33 PM   #12

Trailer: 79 Boler 17 ft
Or if all else fails, use the side door rubber from a 1995 chrysler minivan. I put this on my Boler and it is superb. It cost me $2.00 from a pick-a-part auto wrecker. Best seal I ever got....on a boler.

Regards
Kevin.
KevinDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:06 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Or if all else fails, use the side door rubber from a 1995 chrysler minivan. I put this on my Boler and it is superb. It cost me $2.00 from a pick-a-part auto wrecker. Best seal I ever got....on a boler.

Regards
Kevin.
GREAT! I love the use of OEM parts , creatively applied!
Old 07-23-2009, 08:00 PM   #14

Trailer: 2008 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
A friend sent me a piece of material that works and looks great on his 5er.
He added a shim[about 1/8th"] to his hinges to allow for a better fit.
A 50ft roll will do about Four Scamp Doors.

Here it is.....

http://www.tweetys.com/rubberseal34x91650.aspx

I use a Square closed cell foam for the bottom , I would need to measure, but I think it is about 3/4"X3/4" OR 1"X1"
Regards;Floyd
Thanks!
RachelW is offline   Reply With Quote