Door on *wrong* side of trailer -- fix possible? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2015, 10:11 PM   #21

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Interesting thought LP but the easiest thing that comes to my mind is just use it like it is. Think about this.....as much as eggs get looked at with curb side doors, how much more would you get with a street side door?
Kind of like a right hand drive car gets looks.
Well, this is certainly true. OTOH, thinking of that member here whose door was almost torn off the hinges by a "looker" who was coming back out, maybe we don't want to encourage *more*...!
Old 08-28-2015, 11:13 PM   #22

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
Well, this is certainly true. OTOH, thinking of that member here whose door was almost torn off the hinges by a "looker" who was coming back out, maybe we don't want to encourage *more*...!
You are correct but that door was stick built and had some major rot going on too. Like I told them, it was probably a blessing in disguise for a fix.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:23 PM   #23

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
... that door was stick built and had some major rot going on too. Like I told them, it was probably a blessing in disguise for a fix.
Oh.
Well, then. As Emily Litella used to say:

Old 08-29-2015, 01:24 AM   #24

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 04:22 AM   #25

Name: Kenny
Trailer: 16' Standard
Ohio
Registry
Camp sites

RV sites are set up as to allow a little privacy with the doors being on the curb side. You wouldn't consider moving your electrical plug or black water to the other side just because you can!
Kenny in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 06:22 AM   #26

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'm with Dave here. I think you should use it as is. Just for the charm of it. Just because you can. Yes it would be inconvenient in every way… utilities on the wrong… err, right side… picnic table and fire grate behind the trailer… lookers unable to find their way out...

But I wouldn't stop there, nope. You absolutely must locate a vintage right-hand-drive Jaguar to pull it with. Think how much fun you could have at toll booths!

Name:   Jaguar.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  10.7 KB
Of course, the Jaguar would solve all the problems about campground hook-ups. You'd probably never get there.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:23 AM   #27

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
I say do it and prove the naysayers wrong! Just post plenty of pictures for us to enjoy! lol
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:54 AM   #28

Name: Marijke
Trailer: Biod X2
Alberta
Registry
In Europe, the doors already are curbside :-) the frames don't have hight differences, level the entire length. I suppose, Ellpea, on my little trailer you could put the shell back on reversed. And on just about any travel trailer built on the continent.
The british may have the doors on the wrong side because they drive on the wrong side and have the steering on the wrong side ( being an island they developed different ;-) and you are right, these are fun musings
marijke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:42 AM   #29

CA
Jaguar right-hand tow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I'm with Dave here. I think you should use it as is. Just for the charm of it. Just because you can. Yes it would be inconvenient in every way… utilities on the wrong… err, right side… picnic table and fire grate behind the trailer… lookers unable to find their way out...

But I wouldn't stop there, nope. You absolutely must locate a vintage right-hand-drive Jaguar to pull it with. Think how much fun you could have at toll booths!
Attachment 88197
Of course, the Jaguar would solve all the problems about campground hook-ups. You'd probably never get there.
Jon, this is the most sensible suggestion I've seen all day. Why NOT have the picnic table and fire grate on the *wrong* side of the trailer? Who says it's *wrong*? Who are the wrong *police*?

And how did you know I was Jonesing for a vintage Jaguar? It might not get there, but OMG the STYLE factor would more than make up for it. I would have to add an alligator purse and white gloves to my camping kit, just for standing alongside the road waiting for a tow.

(Or, could just do a Claudette...)

Old 08-29-2015, 11:57 AM   #30

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
My favorite: The Inspector Morse Mark 2 Jaguar
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:58 AM   #31

Name: Marijke
Trailer: Biod X2
Alberta
Registry
Ellpea and if a belt goes you can use the stocking to fix LOL.
marijke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 01:42 PM   #32

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Pull into a drive through camping space in the opposite direction and the door will be on the right side.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 04:04 PM   #33

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm certainly not part of the "wrong police," but if you step outside your trailer right on the "stinky slinky," you may regret having the door on the wrong side.

So.... boondock! Perfect solution....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 04:40 PM   #34

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
"Wrong" side

Donna, the slinky is on the opposite side of the door. Reversing the body would also reverse the slinky.

Aliner has the door hinged on the front:

Campers - Aliner

The Chalet has the door hinged at the rear:

Chalet XL 1920 : Chalet RV

Whilst looking at them I remember the front hinged door bumped the roof which sticks out from the side. As long as you have a good latch, the hinging shouldn't make a difference.

Some cars had doors hinged at the rear. We called those "suicide doors."

Actually, the 'step' in the floor is to keep the body aligned with the frame. Underneath you would see that the step encloses the axle on two sides, top and front. It might be easier to leave the body on the frame and cut a new door. Australian trailers would have the same wrong door problem. The Outback seemed to also. I see they redid their website. They used to have a curbside shot of their trailer reversed so it looked like the door was on the street side.

I remember riding in the front passenger seat of an English Audi with right hand drive in Portugal. It was a strange feeling to be in the driver's seat and not driving.

BTW If you are thinking of buying a Canadian made trailer, now is the time. The Outback listed at $14,900 CAD is only $11,286 US.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:26 PM   #35

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by minke View Post
I loved the Inspector Morse series, and was sad when there were no more. Loved his Jaguar too -- interesting how some Brits use their private vehicles for work!
Old 08-29-2015, 11:28 PM   #36

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by marijke View Post
Ellpea and if a belt goes you can use the stocking to fix LOL.
Marijke, good plan!
Old 08-30-2015, 05:22 AM   #37

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
Donna, the slinky is on the opposite side of the door. Reversing the body would also reverse the slinky.
I should have mentioned in my post, I was commenting on Jon in AZs post:

Quote:
I'm with Dave here. I think you should use it as is. Just for the charm of it. Just because you can. Yes it would be inconvenient in every way… utilities on the wrong… err, right side…
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:40 AM   #38

Name: Al
Trailer: Trillium
California
Why not lift the body from the frame and weld a new tongue to that end of the trailer and replace the old tongue with a bumper? Clearance issues aside, it should work.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:44 AM   #39

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm certainly not part of the "wrong police," but if you step outside your trailer right on the "stinky slinky," you may regret having the door on the wrong side.

So.... boondock! Perfect solution....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I should have mentioned in my post, I was commenting on Jon in AZs post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I'm with Dave here. I think you should use it as is. Just for the charm of it. Just because you can. Yes, it would be inconvenient in every way… utilities on the wrong… err, right side… picnic table and fire grate behind the trailer… lookers unable to find their way out...

But I wouldn't stop there, nope. You absolutely must locate a vintage right-hand-drive Jaguar to pull it with. Think how much fun you could have at toll booths!… Of course, the Jaguar would solve all the problems about campground hook-ups. You'd probably never get there.
LOL… if anyone takes my tongue-in-cheek advice seriously- all of it, that is- they will be doing a lot of boondocking- on the side of the highway!

I'm not sure how to take this thread, since the original question is a pure flight of fancy, but as some seem inclined to take it seriously, here is my serious answer: use a UK trailer as it was built. Yes, it will involve some inconveniences in NA, and the stinky slinky is one (my solution there would be to leave it unconnected until you need to dump, unless you can do as Darwin suggests). Flipping it on the frame, cutting off the tongue and attaching it to the other end, cutting a new door on the other side,…??? Anything is possible, and you can find it all on the internet… generally with the word "redneck" in there somewhere.

Who would buy a vintage right-hand Jaguar and hack it up to move the steering wheel to the other side for convenience' sake?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:39 AM   #40

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
"Who would buy a vintage right-hand Jaguar and hack it up to move the steering wheel to the other side for convenience' sake? "

It would give a vintage Jaguar owner yet another excuse for why their vintage Jaguar is in the shop again. LOL

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote