Door on *wrong* side of trailer -- fix possible? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2015, 02:15 PM   #1

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Door on *wrong* side of trailer -- fix possible?

This is purely hypothetical, but I am curious.

Say we had a European FGRV in the US, and wanted to do a frame up restoration (the the shell removed).

If the door really needed to be on the curb side, would it work to turn the body front to back when putting it back on the frame? Providing the shape was fairly Boler-like, so similar or identical in front and back?
Old 08-28-2015, 02:44 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Probably a lot harder then it would seem at first.

A Trillium and Boler both have a step up to the dinette, which is also in the frame.

A Willerby is built on what looks like a corrugated fiberglass base that the frame is recessed into. What little frame they have.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 02:56 PM   #3

CA
At some point a few of these trailers need a complete new frame. At that time, wouldn't a reverse be possible?

(I realize the door would be hinged on the wrong side.)
Old 08-28-2015, 03:22 PM   #4

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
At some point a few of these trailers need a complete new frame. At that time, wouldn't a reverse be possible?

(I realize the door would be hinged on the wrong side.)
Sorry, but it begs asking. With all the current problems and dilemmas you already have going on with this thing, do you really want to take on something like this to further add to your problems? And having the door open the wrong way isn't Kosher either.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 03:28 PM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
It would be different from trailer to trailer.

In my previous example of Trilliums and Bolers, The back is higher so it is less likely to drag on the ground. Putting the step up on the front would require the back to be lower. Not ideal.

The Willerby is much worse. Below the floor the fibreglass is wavy, but in a pattern. That pattern forms a channel for the frame. There is no channel for a tongue at the rear. I am no expert on this design, but I suspect you would have to cut at floor level and spin it 180°, then re-fibreglass the two together. This assumes that the shape is symmetrical front to back, which it probably is not.

But like I said, I am no expert.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 03:32 PM   #6

CA
*HYPOTHETICAL*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Sorry, but it begs asking. With all the current problems and dilemmas you already have going on with this thing, do you really want to take on something like this to further add to your problems? And having the door open the wrong way isn't Kosher either.
Casita Greg,

Thank you for your concern.

This was a hypothetical question, because I was just CURIOUS. My trailer is perfect, and the door is on the curbside where it belongs.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:34 PM   #7

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
It would be different from trailer to trailer.

In my previous example of Trilliums and Bolers, The back is higher so it is less likely to drag on the ground. Putting the step up on the front would require the back to be lower. Not ideal.

The Willerby is much worse. Below the floor the fibreglass is wavy, but in a pattern. That pattern forms a channel for the frame. There is no channel for a tongue at the rear. I am no expert on this design, but I suspect you would have to cut at floor level and spin it 180°, then re-fibreglass the two together. This assumes that the shape is symmetrical front to back, which it probably is not.

But like I said, I am no expert.
That DOES sound more complicated than it needs to be. But I am remembering that fellow on this forum who cut his trailer in half and added 4 feet to the middle(!), so wondered if this reversal was another possible mod.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:36 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
The door on our previous Scamp popped ope while driving on several occasions. The direction of travel and the wind held the door shut . If the door was reversed as you suggest
then we would have lost the door, damaged the trailer body and possibly caused an accident,
There are reasons things are built the way they are and aesthetic being only one of them.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 03:50 PM   #9

CA
LOL.

Maybe the thing to do is turn the door upside down.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:11 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hummm, maybe instead of hacking into the trailer to move the door... if you're getting a new frame, put the entire trailer on the frame backwards? If it's the right shape, would it really matter which was the front? It would make the interior backwards too, but that may be perfectly acceptable...

Airstreams are known for their backward doors.
Attached Thumbnails
airstream-flying-cloud-exterior.jpg  
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:14 PM   #11

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
.............................the door is on the curbside where it belongs.
Owners of Little Joe, Lite House, Hunter and Lil Snoozy trailers might beg to differ.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:38 PM   #12

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Hummm, maybe instead of hacking into the trailer to move the door... if you're getting a new frame, put the entire trailer on the frame backwards? If it's the right shape, would it really matter which was the front? It would make the interior backwards too, but that may be perfectly acceptable...

Airstreams are known for their backward doors.
Donna, I agree. Some of these seem identical in shape (front and back), and does the backwards interior really make a difference? Possibly only in terms of weight, but if we're building a new frame anyway...

I think my Kencraft had a backward door also, but would have to look at old photos to be sure.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:46 PM   #13

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
I really want to believe that travel trailers are actually engineered and not based on some tradition or vision. There is no reason that things can't be changed or improved, but I'd also want to believe that that is re-engineering.

Engineering results can be anywhere in the spectrum from failed crap the to the truly elegant. I try to make believe that the crap end doesn't exist. Tooth fairy anyone??

I've seen some sailboats that in no way resembled the design they were based on and were wonderful boats. I've seen others that I wouldn't want to sink because I wouldn't want to offend the muck on the bottom.

If I grok you right LP, you are thinking about how to make things better. That is always a worthwhile exercise.
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:52 PM   #14

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by minke View Post

If I grok you right LP, you are thinking about how to make things better. That is always a worthwhile exercise.
Minke, you've got me grokked. I lay awake nights thinking how to make *things* better. When my kids (grown) have any kind of problem, they always ask me first, and I grind my teeth until I come up with a solution or a workaround.

Thank you for understanding instead of criticizing; I enjoy this kind of discussion.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:57 PM   #15

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
Owners of Little Joe, Lite House, Hunter and Lil Snoozy trailers might beg to differ.
Clif, are you telling me that these people have trailers with doors on the WRONG side?
Old 08-28-2015, 07:12 PM   #16

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
If it is fiberglass you could change it how you like. Since this is just curiosity then yes it can be done, how easily - no more problem than replacing the frame and floor on a Scamp.
The door could fairly easily be hinged from the other side, just fill the holes and drill new ones.
The frame can be modified and as a matter of fact if the step down from the dance floor is behind the axle it would be considerably stronger than the cut down section on the Scamp.
If you have the time and money then I would say have fun.
There is plenty of work in just replacing the floor and filling in the cutouts not needed etc.
I have plenty of work and money in rebuilding my 1986 Scamp with replacing the floor extending the frame, moving the bath adding twin beds etc.
Turning around the shell would be just one more thing.
One small change begets many more to compensate.
Why not?
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:18 PM   #17

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Remove it from the frame and put it backwards and reattach.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:44 PM   #18

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Clif, are you telling me that these people have trailers with doors on the WRONG side?
No, these trailers have the door on the right END!
Old 08-28-2015, 09:57 PM   #19

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
No, these trailers have the door on the right END!
Now, that's just wrong. I think they should flip around and have their door on the other end. You know, just to be different. That might mess up the aerodynamics on the Snoozy, though.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:01 PM   #20

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Interesting thought LP but the easiest thing that comes to my mind is just use it like it is. Think about this.....as much as eggs get looked at with curb side doors, how much more would you get with a street side door?
Kind of like a right hand drive car gets looks.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote