dye "rat fur"? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #21

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Louise, there shouldn't be any issue with condensation since the ratfur is insulation and its still there in fact adding that 1/4" wainscotting is adding more insulation! Im giving it serious thought, not yet since my ParkLiner is practically brand new, but eventually since the wood will look better in my opinion, and allow me to tack up picture frames so it looks more homey!

And since as much as a friend of mine teases me that Im always looking to move up to bigger and more grand, honestly unless ParkLiner came out with an 18 foot (or so) with a wider bathroom and added a closet right on the axle so it wouldn't make the tongue any heavier for my weekend camping I think Im ok!

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:15 AM   #22

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Ive got their walkingfoot sewing machine! Ive probably paid it off in saveings makeing my own sailbags and covers and upholstery covers!
Love my sewing machine's walking foot! So many different fabrics sew so much easier and cleanly with it! Its something that anyone who does home decorating or sews with nylon or stretch materials or quilting should consider. As you say not cheap - varies greatly by sewing machine brand but I seem to recall mine was about $170 but the time it has saved me and reduction in hair pulling and projects/material that I haven't messed up (or at least not to badly) due to the lack of one, has more than covered its upfront cost.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:21 AM   #23

New Jersey
Registry
Mine with accesories was closer to $1k, but its a real solid workhorse, sews through shoe leather, several layers of canvas... was well worth the price and its about 9 years old now and still look sliek brand new!

deryk
Old 01-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #24

Registry
Quote:
Mine with accesories was closer to $1k,
LOL yup I bet. Can relate the cost of the machine & the other needed part the walking foot itself attach to was one of those " I am worth it " purchases.... pretty sure my first car cost less and hard for a none sewer to understand the need for
Old 01-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #25

New Jersey
Registry
While I lived on the boat I stored it in my parents house and I remember once my mom grabbed the handle on top of the case thinking she would move it and it didn't budge... it weight a ton (44lbs plus the plywood case lol)but its all metal, no plastic... built to be used all day long, not just an occasional project like most home sewing machines
Old 01-18-2013, 12:17 PM   #26

Registry
Quote:
Louise, there shouldn't be any issue with condensation since the ratfur is insulation and its still there in fact adding that 1/4" wainscotting is adding more insulation! Im giving it serious thought, not yet since my ParkLiner is practically brand new, but eventually since the wood will look better in my opinion, and allow me to tack up picture frames so it looks more homey!
The rat fur in the Scamp is actually is pretty good at not absorbing or retaining moisture on its surface. Its on parts of the walls and roof of my 21 year old trailers bathroom which has had a lot of showers take place in it and there are no stains - still looks new as hard as that may be for some to believe On wet days here on the wet coast condensation build up inside the trailer without really good ventilation can be a problem inside the trailer on pretty well any smooth surface, which rat fur isn't.

There are a couple of options for hanging things on the rat fur that I have used that help to make the trailer wall space usable & to make it more like home.

One is called a cubical hook and can be found at office supply stores (Donna? clued me into those a number of years ago) but getting harder to find - I use them for hanging keys and small flash lights etc by the door. The other that works well in situations where its behind the item - such as a picture is a drape hook. With the foil bubble layer thats behind the rat fur they both stay in place well.
Attached Thumbnails
4136-4139-Drapery-Pin-Hook.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #27

New Jersey
Registry
Thanks Carol! Thats a great idea! Never enough flat spaces to put things down on so hanging up keys saves the little counterspaces I have!

deryk
Old 01-18-2013, 06:47 PM   #28

Name: Louise
Trailer: 1985 UHaul
Michigan
Ooh! Love those hooks!
havingfunnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:48 PM   #29

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Cube Clips. I also use them to hold Reflectix against the windows for insulation and room darkening.
Attached Thumbnails
CubeHolder06.jpg  
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:16 PM   #30

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Just shake up a can of Coke before you open it.

...and Francesca, you have color choices too! Fago RedPop, Grape Soda, Cola, Root Beer, and Mountain Dew

As far as ratfir, my girlfriend has it in her camper and she's put up things with hooks/pins like you show, and she's also simply used hot glue on some items. We've had 5 ladies in her little 13footer, gabbing away for hours and no condensation problems. (we did run out of wine, however....)
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:05 AM   #31

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I find the 'marine grade liner' of the Scamp to be a particularly satisfactory material. Our trailer is now 22 years old and it still looks great. Amazing for any material.

Nothing seems to 'grow' on it even in the bathroom where I'll occasionally find a little mold on the fiberglass. As to the color, I think Scamp has used a light tan and a light blue, ours is tan. I like the light/bright color. It goes well with the wood and white.

There are many valuable mods to make to a Scamp or any trailer, changing the liner is not on my list.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #32

Registry
[QUOTE=Pam Garlow;357271
As far as ratfir, my girlfriend has it in her camper and she's put up things with hooks/pins like you show, and she's also simply used hot glue on some items. [/QUOTE]

Velcro can be used but I dont recommend it if the item is to be taken on and off the wall often as it will pull the fibers of the rat fur and make it look even more like rat fur!
Old 01-22-2013, 01:39 PM   #33

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
Sounds like the best bet might be to send the grandkids in with magic markers.... just be ready for a RAINBOW interior!
LOL i just spewed coffee all over my moniter,,,lol i can see mine doing just that.

actually i think as its a synthetic it would not take dye easily....however,,,, they make automotive upolstery paint. it will change the color of fabric, vinyl ,or leather. comes in a spray can i think. but wow have a fan in there or at least don't drive after breathing that stuff for that long
Old 01-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #34

Michigan
cubical hooks???? i thought you glampers would be collecting those beautiful old hat pins and broaches for that use.

we collect pins and badges on our travels and i am displaying them on the "royal road rodent fur" above my sink.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #35

Registry
[QUOTE=john warren;357829 actually i think as its a synthetic it would not take dye easily....however,,,, they make automotive upolstery paint. it will change the color of fabric, vinyl ,or leather. [/QUOTE]

That sounds interesting John but I suspect that Francesca has put forward the cheapest way to do it - just buy a set of kids water soluble -non permanent colouring pens from the dollar store. Almost guaranteed not to come off of anything I had a friends child decide it would be cool to use them on the back of their bedroom door to do a little graffiti - scrubbing the door with ever thing under the kitchen sink would not take it off. In the end it took two coats of a heavy Kilz primer to cover it and stop it from bleeding through.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:55 PM   #36

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
cubical hooks???? i thought you glampers would be collecting those beautiful old hat pins and broaches for that use.
Hat pins are strictly for self defense among us Delicate Flowers of Womanhood

Francesca

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:59 PM   #37

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
That sounds interesting John but I suspect that Francesca has put forward the cheapest way to do it - just buy a set of kids water soluble -non permanent colouring pens from the dollar store. Almost guaranteed not to come off of anything I had a friends child decide it would be cool to use them on the back of their bedroom door to do a little graffiti - scrubbing the door with ever thing under the kitchen sink would not take it off. In the end it took two coats of a heavy Kilz primer to cover it and stop it from bleeding through.
well if its cheap you want,,,,i'll run my cocker spaniel threw the mud and turn him loose in there. just pick the color of mud you like.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:48 PM   #38

Name: Ellie
Trailer: In the market
New Mexico
covering rat fur

I would go to Lowe's or Home Depot and purchase some canvas drop cloths (they are heavy, cheap and look really cool) and actually "tie" them off to the walls to create a quilted look. Use the rat fur as an anchor and get an upholstery needle and some heavy thread. OR just glue the canvas to the rat fur. I'd use glue that could be applied with a paint brush. However, you'd have to work in sections and figure out how to anchor it while it dried. Might be kind of tough.
ellieinNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:40 AM   #39

Name: Louise
Trailer: 1985 UHaul
Michigan
The canvas sounds really interesting. I hadn't thought of that. Those drop cloths handle almost like painter's canvas, which brings many possibilities to mind . . .

Thanks! Great idea!
havingfunnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:38 PM   #40

Name: Ellie
Trailer: In the market
New Mexico
Yes. I even use the drop cloths for drapes in my house. They look good.
ellieinNM is offline   Reply With Quote