dye "rat fur"? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #1

Name: Louise
Trailer: 1985 UHaul
Michigan
dye "rat fur"?

Is it possible to dye "rat fur" without damaging its condensation and insulation properties?

I have an irrational prejudice against fuzzy gray interiors . . . but a fuzzy blue interior . . . well, that would be different!
havingfunnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #2

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
I've seen it done on the 'fuzzy' wall coverings they sometimes put in high traffic areas of some churches and commercial buildings. Although that stuff is much stiffer than the rat fur. What they did was use a power sprayer with a super fine nozzle and basically 'misted' it on. You might contact a commercial painter for recommendations.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I thought Scamp was selling the rat fur in a light blue for awhile - dont they still? I suspect it would be impossible to dye the fur using any fabric type dye due to the rat furs properties it would not likely absorb it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #4

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Not to put too fine a point on it, but does anyone believe that stuff is waterproof, let alone stain proof?

Even if it was, I think it could be dyed/painted...people paint ensolite all the time, and it's some kind of rubber!

Paint over an appropriate primer might be your best bet- The problem with trying a wet "dye" or thin stain might be evenness of coverage as it may not absorb at the same rate all over the surface.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:45 PM   #5

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Might just look better to carefully remove it then use it as a pattern and replace it with whatever you want. Painting it is gonna make it hard....i doubt it will take dye its synthetic material

Deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Francesca have you ever tried to do a cold die on polyester, acrylic or nylon? How did that work out for you?

The rat fur may not be 100% stain proof, where there is a will there is a way but it is very very stain resistant.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #7

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Normally I would say, Oh cool go for it!

But I think Carol may be right, in that the type of fibers that make up rat fur might not absorb the color.

Or might absorb un-even as well. But heck, never hurts to try it! Is there a place, say inside a cabinet where you could try a sample spot?

If I did it, I would sponge it on, unless of course you have a way to spray it on. Do let us know how your sample, test run goes!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I wouldn't even attempt it, unless you wanted to try it inside a cabinet/cupboard. I'm not particularly enamored with the tan walls, but figure that's what curtains, throw pillows, upholstery and throw rugs are for, to get the eye off the walls.

Rat fur is closer to a velour fabric than vinyl/rubber wallpaper. So those that are talking about PAINT, all I can think is you've never seen the inside of a Scamp with rat fur... which is actually a maine-grade headliner material. And, if you still can't visualize it... the next time you're in your tug... check out the headliner. Is it a sorta fuzzy short nap fabric? That's what rat fur looks/feels like.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #9

Registry
As Donna points out, we're all familiar with "rat fur" since it's what's used for most headliners these days. In my case, there's a spot over the back seat where one of the grandkids did a little artwork with some so-called washable markers and I can assure you that not only are those markers NOT washable, the color is just as bright as ever it was!

I don't propose dye for obvious reasons, but any surface that is well-bonded beneath can be painted provided the right preparation/primer/paint is used.

I think rat fur so treated would maintain a solid coat much longer than ensolite, a non-permeable material will. And as we all know, lots of people paint ensolite.

Francesca
Old 01-16-2013, 08:59 PM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Sounds like the best bet might be to send the grandkids in with magic markers.... just be ready for a RAINBOW interior!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:22 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I think paint would make the rat fur stiff and hard and it's not supposed to be. Rat fur is soft and since it's glued over Reflectix, the paint is liable to flake off. I don't think it would take a dye either, since it repeals water and mold.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:29 PM   #12

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I think that Louise wants to make the grey walls lighter also. It seems that it would be very difficult to 'dye' a darker color lighter? Something more opaque such as paint would be needed, but I agree with Donna that the ratfur would become unpleasantly stiff an picky.
Might be best to just avoid ratfur and look for smooth-walled trailers or those with ensolite.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:09 AM   #13

Michigan
I don't actually have a trailer yet, Robin, so I can't report, alas. I'm looking this year, so I'm thinking of all kinds of choices. It sounds like there are lots of possibilities, but nobody has tried it.

Hmmmm . . . we'll see what's on the market in 2013.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #14

New Jersey
Registry
Ive thought of covering the ratfur in my ParkLiner with te thin wainscotting like they sell at HD or Lowes... a friend suggested doing it in cedar and the caravan will always have a nice smell to it when ever you open the door, specially after bein away from it for a few weeks! But Im a guy, and only so much into glam lol

deryk
Old 01-17-2013, 10:20 AM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by havingfunnow View Post
I don't actually have a trailer yet, Robin, so I can't report, alas. I'm looking this year, so I'm thinking of all kinds of choices. It sounds like there are lots of possibilities, but nobody has tried it.
Hmmm...research project beckoning...

Maybe it's time for me to recolor my Kia's headliner. I could do it in a sort of patchwork trying the different methods...maybe mark it off into quadrants and begin by having the Grandkids finish the "mural" they already started!

Good luck in your search, Louise!

Francesca
Old 01-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Maybe it's time for me to recolor my Kia's headliner..............
Francesca
Just shake up a can of Coke before you open it.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:30 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Just shake up a can of Coke before you open it.
Now that you mention it: there's another quadrant already thus "started". I wonder if four is going to be enough....

Is "octant" a word?

Francesca
Old 01-18-2013, 09:07 AM   #18
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
This is a fun site to poke around. Especially the "Fabric" section. Raz

Sailrite.com | Home
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:33 AM   #19

New Jersey
Registry
Ive got their walkingfoot sewing machine! Ive probably paid it off in saveings makeing my own sailbags and covers and upholstery covers! They have alot of neat hardware, but for fabric I would check ebay. I have gotten sunbrella canvas much cheaper off of ebay then what they are offering.

deryk
Old 01-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #20

Michigan
Grandchildren art! Yes!

Deryk, does your friend know anyone who covered the ratfur with wood? Were there problems with condensation? That would be really beautiful . . .

By the way, I am so jealous of your walking-foot sewing machine. Decades ago I made rain flies for my tents and raincoats for my horses, but only from ripstop nylon, because my machine couldn't handle heavy fabrics. How grand to be able to work on whatever you want!