EBay Cover, Shelter Logic Garage and Sun - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2013, 05:58 AM   #1

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
EBay Cover, Shelter Logic Garage and Sun

Hello FGRV Members,
I have no option this year but to park my Scamp outside near the garage. I couldn't find a storage unit close by or reasonably priced enough to store it for the winter.
I have two questions and one of them will be a stupid one, but here goes. When the EBay cover (elitemotor) is on the trailer, does it still get subjected to the sun bleaching/damage that people talk about when your trailer is stored outside? I live in NY. Trailer has factory structure and wires for A/C, but no A/C. So I'm assuming, other than brushing trailer off in winter with a snow broom to rid it of accumulation, I'll be OK.
The second question I have is does anybody have experience with those Shelter Logic SUV/Truck Garages? I know I'll have to brush it off in winter for snow, it runs around $500, has to be put up on relatively level ground. It's the only one they sell that I see that is tall enough for a Scamp. Maybe there's rounded tops that cost more money, but at that point, I'd probably have a wooden carport built.
Anyway, enough of my blather. I appreciate your response, and the variety of perspectives that I find here. Have a great Tuesday!

Sincerely,
CampyTime
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:05 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Here in NY at least you won't have long hot sunny days for the winter months. Is your Scamp new, or an older one that most likely has spent it's life outside anyway. I cleaned our 30 year old Uhaul with the Barkeepers Friend and then used Maguires Marine wax on it, and it looks good. With or without a shelter you'll want to clear the snow off the trailer or shelter.. I have a couple soft bristle push brooms I use, the long handle makes reaching the top easier. Our winter storage solution; taking the trailer south so we can sit on the beach.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
RE: Shelter Logic Garages

We HAD 3 of the 10x20 foot ShelterLogic Canopies that we WERE using to cover our small RV fleet, including, at one time or another, a 13' SCAMP and a 13' Lil'Bigfoot.

I say HAD because, after almost two years of use, a few design weaknesses allowed two of them to be carried away in a wind storm last month.

Here are the problems we found, I am sure these are common to other similar structures:

1. The tube construction joints may not be interlocked. We put self tapping screws through every tube and fitting connecting point.

2. The 20' long edges can flap and self destruct. We tied the edges down to the vertical pipes to reduce flapping.

3. Suggestions for tiedowns were somewhat lacking. We cut 24" sections of 2x8 and attached each leg base fittings to one of these and added cinderblocks to hold the 2x8's in place.

BUT

4. The leg base fitting proved inadequate and, although the fittings stayed attached to the 2x8's and the leg tubing, and the cinder blocks stayed in place, the fittings themselves failed allowing two of the canopies to take sail, basically destroying both canopies.

The fix for the latter problem would be to tie the upper sections of the frame to ground anchors, what we have done with the remaining canopy.

As far as snow load, I would be very careful with that possibility. The instructions that came with ours stated that they were not designed to support any snow accumulation.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:13 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Info on shelter logic here post number 8
Carport Hay Storage: Enclose the Sides or Not?
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #5

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Wow Bob, thank you for the lengthy reply on shelter logic. After reading what you wrote, these were the things I sort of assumed might be issues, and I'm thankful for your honesty and information. I think I'll keep my money (future money that is) and save to build a small carport some year soon.

Mary and Bob...wish I could join ya in Florida, but I'm still a working slug! You two must be retired? Congrats if so...it's a long time we work to get to that stage. My Scamp is a 2012, so the fiberglass is still new, just a couple of gelcoat cracks here and there which from all I've read here on FGRV, seem to be a normal part of flexing. After reading your reply to me, I went out tonight and bought a soft bristle push broom. That, coupled with my Truck/SUV snow broom, out to take care of the snow. At 5 foot 1, I might need a ladder too though...tee hee.

Well, covering her outside is the best I have this year, so I hope that elitemotor cover gives me a couple of seasons at least. By then the trailer will be paid off and I can look into something else. Cheers for all of your help!
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:38 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Several miles from us in a small village is a Scamp 13. Occasionally I would be in that area and see it parked in the yard. In the winter they wrap it with the cheap blue tarps. That may not be a good idea though, I cover our daughters popup camper with a blue tarp, and then put it in my barn, and have noticed some blue residue on it. A cover designed for the trailer may be the best option. But will a cover hold in moisture, there's another topic for debate. And what about mice, another debatable topic that was a recent thread. My answer on that is poison under the trailer, and a product called "Fresh Cab" inside (from Amazon). Maybe you'll have a winter with little snow, as apparently it was last winter in our area, just south of Albany. We were sitting on the beach last winter too, and only had to pay for having our driveway plowed 3 times. Both of us retired 3 years now, heading for the coast of GA soon.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote