Eco door problems - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Eco
Montana
Eco door problems

I am new to this area but I need help on how to fix the door of a 73? eco camper. It appears in decent shape but the bottom part of the door is arched about two inches from the base of the camper the door has water so must have flexed form freezing. What materials are in these doors and how can I flex it back?
jwehrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi John, welcome to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here.

I'm not familiar with the innerds of an Eco door. But, some Boler owners have had reasonable success by drilling some drain holes in the inside of the door at the bottom and letting the water drain out. It sounds like perhaps water has leaked around the window and allowed that water to run inside the door?

If I were you, and I'm not, I'd try to drain the door first.. completely and get it dryed out and then see what further repairs may be necessary. We can give you all kinds of help if it gets that far, but it's possible once completely dry it MAY pull back into shape. Then you'd need to get the water intrusion areas sealed up.

Let us know how it goes.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Trailer: We have had all the brands at least once.
I have a 75 ECO the door is just like our 73 Boler door same curve at bottom.
Chuck
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:32 PM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
A 73 ECO was most likely made using the molds for a 72 Boler American which came from Winnipeg. The ECO was made in Aurora Nebraska, which was 1 of 3 plants that made the boler American. The door may not drain after being drilled like the later model bolers made in Canada.

The bowed door is most likely due to the frame, floor or body bulge. Look at where the body attaches to the trailer at the hinge side of the door. That is the typical weak spot.

If that is the case, supporting the hinge side of the body with wood, like that in the screen door mod, may be the preferable fix. Find the cause then search for the solutions here in the forums.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:03 PM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: Eco
Montana
THanks for your reply. I just bought the trailer today and am excited to get started on it. The door is indeed full of water and shows some warping (about two inches at the bottom). I will look for bowing at the body. What is the easiest way to clear that water and recontour the door? On the same note, is there an easy way to reseal the windows?I will send pictures later.
jwehrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:23 AM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
One way of determining whether the problem is the door or the body is to look at both on the "latch" side of the door/body. If you have a closet wall in that location and it is still firmly attached to the body, there will be minimal body bow on that side of the door opening. Especially so, if you can see that the body is still firmly attached to the frame from the underside.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco