Eeeeeeeeeee pressure wash caution - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2015, 07:34 AM   #1

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Eeeeeeeeeee pressure wash caution

A few weeks back after our last trip I ttok our Scamp to a self serve catr wash.

looks "New Brand" as we used to say in Belize.

While we beginning to re-pack and outfit for our next trip in 2 days my wife discovered a wet carpeted area under the fridge. Apparently the pressure spray from washing blew into the vents by the fridge area and leaked down inside the Scamp.

So now I will put a fan on it to dry it out so we do not get mildew or mold under there. Very small door space at floor level and since it is carpeted not an option to "mop up".

Just a note to other to be more careful than I was when washing our toys.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:39 AM   #2

Name: Zac & Cathy
Trailer: Burro & 2006 21ft. BigFoot
California
Registry
Thanks for taking the time to let us know
Cathy
Avey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:46 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Any of the vent panels for the refrigerator and the water heater will let water in when sprayed with even the smallest hose, much less a high pressure car-wash hose.

On those parts of the rig, always back away and wash/rinse from well above the louvers, at last at a 45 degree down angle.

Ditto for roof vents, you can force water under the lid, lifting it off the seal and wa-la, you have that inside shower you always wanted.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:45 AM   #4

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
And avoid the "tire wash" setting. Stuff is very effective at removing wax job from camper shell. Unless you figure stripping the wax as part of your plan.

Maybe you can pick up some desiccant bead packs can help absorb moisture in close spaces. You may find them as bulk packs at sporting good stores, they are used in gun safes to prevent condensation.

Or run a dehumidifier in the camper. Dry air will such the moisture out. Eventually it will all dry. Thanks for sharing, probably will prevent some people having the same issue.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:09 AM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
A wet-dry shop vac can sometimes be used to suck out some water from carpet, if it's badly soaked. Hopefully you didn't get it that wet, though.
Mike Magee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:48 PM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
On this RV fridge manual, page ten, section 2-A, it says in bold type:
NOTE: AVOID SPRAYING WATER THROUGH THE
REFRIGERATOR VENTS WHEN WASHING THE RV

Yes, real men DO read the instructions!
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:21 PM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Ha... Instructions are intended for use AFTER you can't make it work and/or cause damage.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:24 PM   #8

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Exactly.. I didn't read the manual until after I read batdude's post!
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 03:24 PM   #9

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I got water under fridge on the first melt of snow and ice off camper. Ice i guess from condensation got up under there and seeped into vents. I think while it is stored in winter, I will, if safe, tape on some plastic. Also put some kind of fine screen in spring on all vents b/c of bees, got some of them in the insulation of fridge, I just got out of there last week. Always something. Carl PS will get a roof broom this year to keep the higher snow off and somewhat clear of snow.
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote