Egg vs. R-Pod - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2010, 02:03 AM   #41

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
I could park my Scamp in the bottom of a lake for a month and the real damage would be limited to electrical components.

You couldn't do that with an R-Pod.
Mark G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:46 AM   #42

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
You may have a hard time actually getting it to sink down to the bottom of the lake. :-) They can float pretty well. Someone at our BC Glass Eggs meets has a large boler that floated away during a major flood. The little amount of work they had to do to get that trailer usable again was very suprising.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:48 AM   #43

Trailer: 1999 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I am 6'4" and 215# we are on our second Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe. Before that we had 3 different stick builts. We have learned that the length of the bed is more important than the height of the ceiling. Hours are spent in bed and minutes walking around inside. A bigger trailer does NOT guarantee a bigger bed. When I shower I pull the curtain around so that it covers the toilet and sit on that to rinse my upper parts. Again how long are you going to be in there? I sit on the toilet lid when shaving or brushing my teeth.
Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:07 AM   #44

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Comparison Rpod vs Trillium

We took this shot on our vacation last Feb:
Attached Thumbnails
DCP_0279.jpg  

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:59 AM   #45

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
...My last trailer before my current EggCamper was a 2010 Lance 1880, big and heavy and well built. But, like the bigger 19' Escape, my gas went from 18 mpg to 8 mpg while towing. The dual axles will cost you triple in tolls. Dual pane windows are nice but heavy...
This mileage hit seemed really extreme based on my own experience. I took a look at the Escape forum and there was a thread specifically on 19' mileage estimates with no one reporting anything like this. The estimates ran from 14-15 MPG for a V6 Tacoma to automatic at speeds of 60-65 MPH through 17.7 with most people averaging 17 in a variety of vehicles like RAV4 or Chevy Trailblazers.

There was guy was driving a 17'er and complaining about his 12.5 MPG, but he noted his speed was 70-75 MPH! I think the bottom line is to keep your speed down if you want respectable gas mileage.

We're limited to 55MPH towing in California, where the bridge toll on a fourth axle is a pretty incremental +25%, not triple toll.

Regards,

Matt
Old 11-21-2010, 10:34 AM   #46

Trailer: Eggcamper
Registry
EggCamper Owner

Hi Lisa -
I understand your concerns regarding camper size vs husband size - I'm 6'3" and a big 265#. My wife and I chose the EggCamper for many reasons - one being the bed length and the other the huge bath. To address your concern about the shower - it has a telephone type on the wall behind the toilet, so I can sit on the toilet to shower and have easy access to the shower controls. I can also stand in the shower - it is 6' straight up from the drain to the 'ceiling'. Just 'looking at my feet' makes for a comfortable stance in the shower. As for the 'bath area' it seems twice as large as in many stick-built campers. I have tons of shoulder room and leg room when using the bathroom. Also, we didn't care for the factory 'curtain' so we installed a white, plastic folding door that works great and looks good when we have visitors in.

BTW - when the rear bed is 'put away' (we use an aerobed mattress) out rear dinette area seats 6 and the side dinette seats 2 more - it's a roomy camper considering the outside length. Lots of ceiling room too - even with my height I never come close to hitting my head.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa J View Post
Hi all,
Thanks for all your kind help.
I just read on Art's old posts that the shower in the Egg is less than 6' tall. That would mean my hubby would have to stoop. If that's true, then it's a deal-breaker. His shoulders are wider than the bathroom apparently, from the dimensions that were stated. Maybe I should resolve myself to get a truck after all, and just buy an Escape 5th wheel. I think they are pretty tall, and I like the separate bed for full-timing. Though I don't find the shape as cute.
Lisa

Tags
eggcamper