EggCamper - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-17-2008, 06:32 AM   #15

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
Ron,

I'd like to see how you add the drawers. We have installed a TV and DVD, replaced the dinette cushions (the cushions supplied just seemed too large), added window treatments (like a short valance), bought some rugs etc. We had bought a charcoal grill but didn't like the wait for hot coals, so bought a propane tabletop grill/griddle with burner. I'm sure you'll have a great camping vacation, enjoy.

Art

Old 05-17-2008, 09:16 PM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Please post pictures as your conversation is of great interest to us that dream of owning an EggCamper someday!

Old 05-20-2008, 10:16 AM   #17

Name: Ron
Trailer: Eggless for now.
Formerly NH, now full timing
Registry
Art,

I've got one drawer done and at least one more planned. With some trepidation, I cut through the side of the rear dinette seat (the side facing the aisle), just above the water tank to locate the first drawer.
It measures 12" square (outside dimensions) by 4" deep. I used 3M 4000 (marine) adhesive sealant to attach mounting blocks for the drawer hardware.

I must admit that the drawer hardware was the least expensive available from Home Depot. The hardware consists of 2 rollers mounted on either side of the lower front drawer opening, and a track above the drawer.

Although the dinette is much wider than the 12", I couldn't make the drawer much wider because I had to leave clearance for the panel that swings up to allow access to storage under the bed. I also underestimated the size of the drawer face by about 1/4 inch. I'm going to make it a bit taller to completely cover the opening and replace it with another after the upcoming weekend.

The next drawer(s) I'm planning will be under the sink area, just forward of the access door. We have a heater mounted on the face near the counter top. I'd like to move the heater down, nearer the floor and put another drawer (maybe two) above it. But, if that looks too ambitious, I may just mount them near the floor.

I'm still working on a good way to secure the drawers while I'm towing the trailer. Right now, I used my belt sander to make a groove in the underside of the drawer sides. The groove comes to rest over the rollers near the front of the opening and seems to hold the drawer in ok. The real test will come this weekend. I'll see if I can post some photos that will explain all this much better than words.

Regards,

Ron

Quote:
Ron,

I'd like to see how you add the drawers. We have installed a TV and DVD, replaced the dinette cushions (the cushions supplied just seemed too large), added window treatments (like a short valance), bought some rugs etc. We had bought a charcoal grill but didn't like the wait for hot coals, so bought a propane tabletop grill/griddle with burner. I'm sure you'll have a great camping vacation, enjoy.

Art
Old 05-20-2008, 05:52 PM   #18

Registry
John, Art,

Here are a couple of shots of the drawer project.

The spot to below the heater has room for a couple of drawers. We figure we'll need one draw just for the assorted junk that collects.

Ron

Quote:
Please post pictures as your conversation is of great interest to us that dream of owning an EggCamper someday!
Attached Thumbnails
SSL20120.JPG   SSL20121.JPG  

Old 05-20-2008, 05:55 PM   #19

Registry

Click image for larger version

Name:	SSL20122.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	13344
John, Art,

Here's one more that didn't upload with the first message.

The spot to below the heater has room for a couple of drawers. We figure we'll need one draw just for the assorted junk that collects.

Ron[/quote]
Old 05-20-2008, 08:30 PM   #20

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Nice work Ron! I wonder if one could add Ikea drawers to the EggCamper. The metal full extension drawers.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40107080
Old 05-21-2008, 07:11 AM   #21

Registry
Quote:
Nice work Ron! I wonder if one could add Ikea drawers to the EggCamper. The metal full extension drawers.
John,

It looks like the shortest ikea is 15 inches. The cheapo drawer hardware had the advantage that I could cut the top channel to just about any length. For the EggCamper, I need to make each drawer to a custom size. For the one that I've done so far, I couldn't go beyond 12 inches due to the wheel well.
If I can move the heater successfully, I may be able to go deeper on the right side.

Ron
Old 05-30-2008, 06:05 AM   #22

Quote:
Hi Art,
We're heading out for our first trip over the Memorial Day weekend. I'm adding a couple very simple drawers this week. Aside from that we can't think of much that is needed to make the egg camper comfortable.

Yes, we went with the electric model. We expect to be close to power wherever we are, but if we plan to be off the grid, I think we'll just use a small generator to keep things charged. Ours is also the layout with a permanent bed. The small side dinette is perfectly adequate for the times when we'll be dining inside. We expect to do most of the cooking and dining outside. However, coffee first thing in the morning is mandatory. So, the coffeemaker will be set to automatically turn on in the AM.

Ron
Ron,

I'm curious as to how your first outing went. How did all your equipment work? Changes you are thinking of making? ETC. We went to NC for the weekend and had a good time. Thinking of changing access cover under bed (but will probably never get to it). I like your drawer mod (should be very handy). Did you have a lot of people checkinge out your Eggcamper?

Art
Old 05-30-2008, 11:47 AM   #23

Registry
Quote:
Ron,

I'm curious as to how your first outing went. How did all your equipment work? Changes you are thinking of making? ETC. We went to NC for the weekend and had a good time. Thinking of changing access cover under bed (but will probably never get to it). I like your drawer mod (should be very handy). Did you have a lot of people checkinge out your Eggcamper?

Art
Hi art,

We had great weather, although chilly in the evenings. We put the little heater to good use, and it worked great. Everything worked and we were really comfortable all weekend. The only thing that we're thinking of changing is the blinds on the windows. We're thinking of curtains of some type instead, more as a preference than any problems with the blinds.

And, yes, we seemed to attract a lot of interest, both at the campground and on the road. People are amazed at the interior space for something that appears very compact from the outside.

What are you thinking about for the under-bed access?

Ron
Old 05-30-2008, 03:07 PM   #24

Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Registry
One of the reasons I make my own drawers for our trailer is I can design them so they have high sides and a drawer bottom or panel that comes right over the sides, preventing stuff from jumping out while we're towing. The low sides of the Ikea drawers don't allow for that.

Quote:
Old 05-30-2008, 05:28 PM   #25

Quote:
Hi art,

We had great weather, although chilly in the evenings. We put the little heater to good use, and it worked great. Everything worked and we were really comfortable all weekend. The only thing that we're thinking of changing is the blinds on the windows. We're thinking of curtains of some type instead, more as a preference than any problems with the blinds.

And, yes, we seemed to attract a lot of interest, both at the campground and on the road. People are amazed at the interior space for something that appears very compact from the outside.

What are you thinking about for the under-bed access?

Ron
Ron,

We put a feather matress on top of the existing matress, making it a little heavy (especially with 2 dogs laying on it) so I was thinking that rather than having the L shaped fiberglass swing up, it may be better to add wood to the top (like the back half), cut the top off the L, and have the front clip on somehow. What do you think?

Art
Old 06-06-2008, 03:06 PM   #26

Registry
Quote:
Ron,

We put a feather matress on top of the existing matress, making it a little heavy (especially with 2 dogs laying on it) so I was thinking that rather than having the L shaped fiberglass swing up, it may be better to add wood to the top (like the back half), cut the top off the L, and have the front clip on somehow. What do you think?

Art

Art,
With weight a concern, a plywood top might be lighter than the fiberglass tip-up. We have a roll-out plastic box under, but I suspect that something could be fashioned to create some more permanent (custom-fit) drawers without increasing the weight.

Ron
Old 06-15-2008, 06:51 AM   #27

More Eggcamper info,

Went to a Virginia campground last weekend, 97 Sat. and 98 Sun. The A/C worked well (only thing I noticed was the person farthest back in the bed doesn't get any breeze from the A/C). The awning was really nice to have on these hot days. Also the 1.7 cu ft refrigerator is terrific, cools down in 1/2 hr (empty). Put precooled food in and you're set to go. Just so you have an idea of how much this tiny refrige will hold this is what we loaded it with before the trip: 16 cans soda, 2 small cans juice, 1/2 gal juice, 6 eggs, 1/2 lb bacon, 1/4 lb butter, 1/2 head of lettuce, 2 steaks, bottle of steak sauce, 1 lb sandwich meat, mustard, and a gallon freezer bag 1/2 full of ice. (refrige was totally full) And everything stayed good and cold. AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Minor problems I have had since buying the Eggcamper. 1. noticed floor was wet at rear of camper after a very heavy rain, calked center rear overhead outside running light. Problem fixed. 2. Refrige stopped working while driving home on one trip (noticed power light not on). Problem was a plug-in connection was loose, had to use chanellocks to squeeze connection tight enough to lock. Problem fixed.

I could not find any buyer input on the Eggcamper when I was checking out f/g campers, so my hope is that these posts will be of help to others looking for info.

Art
Old 06-15-2008, 03:01 PM   #28

Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
I could not find any buyer input on the Eggcamper when I was checking out f/g campers, so my hope is that these posts will be of help to others looking for info.
One thing I'd really like to know is what your EggCamper weighs in at loaded and ready to go.

Tags
eggcamper