EggCamper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2008, 07:18 AM   #1

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
Well, we picked up our new EggCamper fri. Apr. the 18th. Jim spent a lot of time with us answering any questions we had (last time I went camping was 35 yrs ago) and going thru his check list. I will list some info that might be helpfull to others (towing with a Dodge Nitro).

1. W/D hitch is not required for the Nitro to tow the EggCamper.
2. Ball mount needs to have a 3 1/2" to 4" drop (buy the shortest tongue length you can find).
3. 2" hitch ball.
4. If you plan to use a sway control, it will be much easier to use one that mounts on the left (the wiring runs in the C frame channel on the right. (I had already bought a right side mount so I will adapt it later).
5. You need a Long coupler lock, not a short one (I had bought a short one in advance, had to stop at nearest store to buy a long one).
6. I bought a CIPA strap on extension mirror for driver's side. good investment really helps.
7. Did not buy mirror for passenger side and don't think one would help much.
8. Nitro gas milage not towing and driving 65-70 was 22 mpg.
9. with egg,gas milage driving secondary roads and going thru some town with stop lights appx 14 mgp.
10. with egg, driving the interstate in the hills and mountains appx. 14.5.
11. with egg, driving the interstate on the flat 15.4 mpg.
12. On anything other than flat, it's best to lock out the O/D. (too much shifting).
(mpg with egg are at 60-63 mph)
13. Things you will need for your first nite camping not supplied by EggCamper: potable water hose, non potable water hose, good sewer hose (sewer hose is supplied, but not very good), egg has a 30 amp cord and a 30 to 20 amp adapt, bring a 30 to 50 adaptor if you think you need it.

FINAL OBSERVATION. THE EGGCAMPER REALLY FEELS LARGE INSIDE. THE REFRIGERATOR WORKED GREAT. PLENTY OF ROOM FOR AN AVERAGE PERSON TO SHOWER. PLENTY OF LIGHTS INSIDE. BIG BED. LOVE IT.

Art
artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:35 AM   #2

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Congrats on your Egg!! May many happy camping days be ahead for you.!!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:35 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi Art,

Congratulations on your Eggcamper! Hope you can take pictures and post them. Happy camping!
John Salomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:10 AM   #4

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500 Deluxe

Art,
Congratulations. I wish I knew you where coming to our Great Lakes State of Michigan. I am less than 5 minutes off of the I-96 highway in Howell, MI. I only live about 1 1/2 hours from where you picked up your Eggcamper. I would have loved to see it and have my wife & son check it out too! They look really KOOL!
Dave in Michigan
"The Trillium King"
Dave Baston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 05:39 PM   #5

More info.

Bought a Rinoflex sewer hose. It does not fit in rear bumper. bought 6" PVC pipe to put sewer line in.

Art
Old 04-29-2008, 09:32 AM   #6

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Art,

We picked up an EggCamper on Monday 4/14 and towed it back to New Hampshire. Jim was very thorough, explaining all of the equipment and answering questions. We're currently fitting it out with creature comforts for a trip to Vermont over the Memorial Day weekend.

We're towing with a Toyota Sienna minivan. We had no trouble maintaining 60-65 mph on the highways, and coming through Vermont, crossed Hogback Moutain with ease.

Enjoy!

Ron
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:34 AM   #7

Registry
Art,

I meant to upload a graphic of the camper atop Hogback.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
SSL20111.JPG  
Old 04-29-2008, 06:30 PM   #8

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
nice to see the egg campers selling a few, The dealer down the street from me has a new one he brought back from up there about 6-9 months ago and it has not sold, it does look spacier that the casita and I guess it is 6" or so wider.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:42 PM   #9

Trailer: 17 ft Burro
Ron that's a good looking Egg you got there.

When I saw your picture it struck an old memory of "hey I've been there" and I called out to my wife Karen "Come Look", "Do you remember that store?"

We honeymooned in Bennington, VT 19 years ago and stopped in that 'road side' attraction the day we hit the road for home. What a small world. Thanks for sharing that pic and reviving a great memory. I hope you enjoy your Egg.

Greg
GregLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Art,

I meant to upload a graphic of the camper atop Hogback.

Ron

Ron,

I really like the triple tail lights (I've only got singles). Was thinking of adding another in time. Did you go all electric also? We were down Eastern Shore Va. this weekend with our dogs, on their first outing, they loved it. Had a thunder storm Sat. night with rain and high winds, we were warm, dry and comfortable, but the tent campers we saw in the morning didn't look real happy. because it was wet outside, I cooked our 1st meal in the camper on the griddle and nuker. simple quick and easy. So far it's everything I had hoped for. I'd like to hear your impressions and EggCamper input (there's not a lot of us out here yet).

Art

(ps. I'd post some pics, but I haven't figured out how to do it yet).
Old 04-30-2008, 04:45 AM   #11

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Art

Art, we'd enjoy seeing them!

Here's a tutorial thread on how to post photos!

We LOVE photos!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:52 AM   #12

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
I got to see an Egg Camper in person for the first time last weekend & noticed immediately that it has lots of head room! My 6' tall husband didn't come close to touching the ceiling. That's a good selling point for the Egg Camper. We also liked the smooth walls--no rat fur, no elephant skin. It seemed so much roomier inside.

Sandra Lair
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:06 AM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Ron,

I really like the triple tail lights (I've only got singles). Was thinking of adding another in time. Did you go all electric also? We were down Eastern Shore Va. this weekend with our dogs, on their first outing, they loved it. Had a thunder storm Sat. night with rain and high winds, we were warm, dry and comfortable, but the tent campers we saw in the morning didn't look real happy. because it was wet outside, I cooked our 1st meal in the camper on the griddle and nuker. simple quick and easy. So far it's everything I had hoped for. I'd like to hear your impressions and EggCamper input (there's not a lot of us out here yet).

Art

Hi Art,
We're heading out for our first trip over the Memorial Day weekend. I'm adding a couple very simple drawers this week. Aside from that we can't think of much that is needed to make the egg camper comfortable.

Yes, we went with the electric model. We expect to be close to power wherever we are, but if we plan to be off the grid, I think we'll just use a small generator to keep things charged. Ours is also the layout with a permanent bed. The small side dinette is perfectly adequate for the times when we'll be dining inside. We expect to do most of the cooking and dining outside. However, coffee first thing in the morning is mandatory. So, the coffeemaker will be set to automatically turn on in the AM.

Ron
Old 05-16-2008, 11:12 AM   #14

Registry
Hi Greg,

Hogback was a test to see how well the EggCamper towed behind my Sienna. It did better than I expected. But, I will add that it was just as it rolled out of the factory. We hadn't added the usual stuff that we'll drag along for a weekend or longer.

We came through Ontario on the way back to NH, and the Canadian customs officer insisted on looking inside, not in search of contraband, but because he seemed really interested in having an EggCamper himself.

Everybody that sees it is impressed by the spacious feel. I really like the way it tows.

Ron
Old 05-17-2008, 05:32 AM   #15

Ron,

I'd like to see how you add the drawers. We have installed a TV and DVD, replaced the dinette cushions (the cushions supplied just seemed too large), added window treatments (like a short valance), bought some rugs etc. We had bought a charcoal grill but didn't like the wait for hot coals, so bought a propane tabletop grill/griddle with burner. I'm sure you'll have a great camping vacation, enjoy.

Art
Old 05-17-2008, 08:16 PM   #16

Please post pictures as your conversation is of great interest to us that dream of owning an EggCamper someday!
Old 05-20-2008, 09:16 AM   #17

Registry
Art,

I've got one drawer done and at least one more planned. With some trepidation, I cut through the side of the rear dinette seat (the side facing the aisle), just above the water tank to locate the first drawer.
It measures 12" square (outside dimensions) by 4" deep. I used 3M 4000 (marine) adhesive sealant to attach mounting blocks for the drawer hardware.

I must admit that the drawer hardware was the least expensive available from Home Depot. The hardware consists of 2 rollers mounted on either side of the lower front drawer opening, and a track above the drawer.

Although the dinette is much wider than the 12", I couldn't make the drawer much wider because I had to leave clearance for the panel that swings up to allow access to storage under the bed. I also underestimated the size of the drawer face by about 1/4 inch. I'm going to make it a bit taller to completely cover the opening and replace it with another after the upcoming weekend.

The next drawer(s) I'm planning will be under the sink area, just forward of the access door. We have a heater mounted on the face near the counter top. I'd like to move the heater down, nearer the floor and put another drawer (maybe two) above it. But, if that looks too ambitious, I may just mount them near the floor.

I'm still working on a good way to secure the drawers while I'm towing the trailer. Right now, I used my belt sander to make a groove in the underside of the drawer sides. The groove comes to rest over the rollers near the front of the opening and seems to hold the drawer in ok. The real test will come this weekend. I'll see if I can post some photos that will explain all this much better than words.

Regards,

Ron

Quote:
Ron,

I'd like to see how you add the drawers. We have installed a TV and DVD, replaced the dinette cushions (the cushions supplied just seemed too large), added window treatments (like a short valance), bought some rugs etc. We had bought a charcoal grill but didn't like the wait for hot coals, so bought a propane tabletop grill/griddle with burner. I'm sure you'll have a great camping vacation, enjoy.

Art
Old 05-20-2008, 04:52 PM   #18

Registry
John, Art,

Here are a couple of shots of the drawer project.

The spot to below the heater has room for a couple of drawers. We figure we'll need one draw just for the assorted junk that collects.

Ron

Quote:
Please post pictures as your conversation is of great interest to us that dream of owning an EggCamper someday!
Attached Thumbnails
SSL20120.JPG   SSL20121.JPG  

Old 05-20-2008, 04:55 PM   #19

Registry

Click image for larger version

Name:	SSL20122.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	13344
John, Art,

Here's one more that didn't upload with the first message.

The spot to below the heater has room for a couple of drawers. We figure we'll need one draw just for the assorted junk that collects.

Ron[/quote]
Old 05-20-2008, 07:30 PM   #20

Nice work Ron! I wonder if one could add Ikea drawers to the EggCamper. The metal full extension drawers.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40107080

Tags
eggcamper