Eggcamper - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2009, 02:56 PM   #21

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Donna, your truly a genius, I rooted around for 20 minutes looking for that archive, thanks
Old 07-07-2009, 03:09 PM   #22

Trailer: Trillium 4500 and 17 ft Eggcamper
Quote:
vi, for your bathroom/shower, do you just use a curtain as shown at the eggcamper website? i didn't know if a conventional door was offered or not. Also, I have never seen under the eggcamper but if you look under your trailer are their holding tanks mounted under (or inside the seating area) , and is it a smooth bottom like a casita? OR is there a wood bottom like a scamp? Thanks in advance. I have always wondered.
Sharon, I understand that the shower curtain was utilized in the manufacture of this Egg to ensure the light weight. We just use the pretty white and tan shower curtain with the liner. The first EggCamper that we saw (and I fell in love with) had a mod at the factory as they were willing to accept the additional weight in order to have the glass shower door. There are 2 fans in the roof, one near the bathroom to help control any unpleasantness, if you know what I mean! The closet door (that has been discussed) swings in to ensure privacy while dressing. All the blinds close nicely, but the window in the door leaves a bit to be desired in the area of privacy.
Now about the tanks, the gray water tank is under the door, which disallows a mounted step and we use a 'Wallyworld' step stool, as it is a fairly high step to enter. The black water is under the shower/toilet. The clean water is under the table, which accounts for the raised area where your feet would go while sitting at the table. That makes the clean water tank higher than the black and gray water tanks, I am happy to say. While the bottom looks like a pressed wood, the entire floor, both top and bottom are heavily coated with fiberglass and is very sound. The positioning of the floor and tanks do indeed, make for a flat bottom. Remember, ours is a 2006 model and some changes might have been made in the current model. Hope this helps. Vi
Vi Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:07 PM   #23

Trailer: Aliner
Hi, Vi,

Ken's the one who asked about the tanks and the shower door, but I sure appreciate the information, too!

I haven't gotten a response from Jim about the rear window. Maybe I will write or call him again when I'm closer to actually ordering.
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:16 PM   #24

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007
Quote:
Hi, Vi,

Ken's the one who asked about the tanks and the shower door, but I sure appreciate the information, too!

I haven't gotten a response from Jim about the rear window. Maybe I will write or call him again when I'm closer to actually ordering.
Sharon, although I visit here daily I rarely post, but I am an Eggcamper owner. I drove from Texas to get mine at the factory over a year ago. Again, from Texas, so I could have gotten something closer. I have had Burros X2 and a Scamp also. I do not miss the rear window at all.
The other side windows are large. As your question to a rear window. Notice in photos that there are what appear to be large protrusions on both side of rear of camper inside at the back. This allows for the pancake style lights on the rear to recess into the body of the camper. I like the large lights on the rear. Placing a window back there might be tricky due to those lights recessions to the inside of camper. I do not think they would do a mod like that, but I am not speaking for the company.

At any one time they are working on about 10 of these on the assembly line. I toured the place as I made my purchase. At that time I took the eggcamper kit and finished it the way I wanted. If I had it to do over again, I would have bought the lower end version and then put what else I wanted in it, as I did a lot of work on it, instead of being out on the road using it. I do not think he is offering the kit version right now. I am sure he would leave doors off if you requested. The big closet door I mounted to open from the left to the right while standing at the counter. It is handy to stand in doorway from outside and load stuff into one that opens from right to left, but I wanted mine to open left to right.

The fridge that is recommended for the camper at the factory is just right for it. If you get one bigger, you can easily get into the wheel well area under the sink and have issues with the install, so I realized the recommended was the way to go. It operates on 12 volt only and works very well.

The camper is very roomy. I keep shower curtain in mine for now. a shower door from Lowes can easily be installed in the camper if you want one some day. I use mine mostly myself and the curtain approach lessens the weight factor too.
I think you would really like the eggcamper.
I only have one issue with it. It sits lower to the ground than most others made right now. It has plenty of clearence on the highway, but I do wish it set a little higher up off the ground, but on hard pavement and highway it has plenty of ground/air clearence. Off the beaten path a high center drag on a back road might create an issue and I do not do that off road stuff. More head room than any FG travel trailer I have seen. I am 6'2" tall. I have about 6 or 8 inches of head room. Bed is big. Gelcoat interior is great. Ask me more, glad to answer your questions..
Weldon

weldon freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:21 PM   #25

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
I "toured" an Eggcamper last year and liked it, but really missed the rear window. We usually camp by lakes and rivers and we love the view of the water through the back window. I would really miss that. I emailed Jim to find out if a rear window was a possibility and he said no, they will not be offering this as an option.
Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:05 AM   #26

Weldon, I really appreciate your post. It sounds like the Eggcamper is a real gem, but also helped me decide that the Eggcamper is probably not for me.

Like Sandra, we choose our camping locations for the majestic, peaceful, breathtaking views. And a big rear window is too high on my list of must-haves to compromise on. And we also go on some hair-raising, unpaved, steep, bumpy roads sometimes, so definitely need a high-lift axle.

I think I am back to dreaming of an Escape, but unless a used one should come available when we are ready to buy, I will probably end up getting a Liberty Deluxe and hoping I can learn to live with the carpet on the walls.

Thanks to all of you who expressed your thoughts on the Eggcamper. It was invaluable information to me.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:39 PM   #27

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have passed on ithem too. In my part of the country the campground views are out the back.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:17 PM   #28

I would like to add that I got a very nice email from Jim Palmer that included several PDF brochures and an options price list.

I am more impressed than ever with the Eggcamper and with Jim Palmer.

For anyone who is considering a fiberglass egg, I am convinced that you could probably not find a more carefully crafted product at a surprisingly good price.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:19 PM   #29

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
I haven't been able to tour an Eggcamper yet, but for me the lack of a rear window wouldn't be a problem. I like the fact that it's a little wider than a Casita or Scamp. I also like the fact that the walls are all fiberglass.

I have seen that he offers an all-electric version and that's definitely something I would NOT want. We do quite a lot of off-the-grid camping and also cold-weather camping. We depend on our furnace and gas water heater a lot.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:23 PM   #30

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
We have the Casita and many times if the campsite is wide enough I back in and turn the trailer 90 degrees so the dinette is in the back and the awning runs parallel to the road in front. That might help some of you folks who want the rear veiw but don't have rear windows
Old 07-09-2009, 03:14 PM   #31

Trailer: Trillium 4500 and 17 ft Eggcamper
Quote:
We have the Casita and many times if the campsite is wide enough I back in and turn the trailer 90 degrees so the dinette is in the back and the awning runs parallel to the road in front. That might help some of you folks who want the rear veiw but don't have rear windows

We have corresponded with Jim Palmer and if he is busy, we may have to wait a few days but he always responds with good, down-to-earth answers. We have never missed the back window, but each Egg owner has his or her likes and dislikes. The overall light, openess and windows make another opening unnecessary. About the height from the ground, we have not had ours bottom out at all. We still have to figure out an awning set-up. We have the total electric and have gotten a generator, but have not hooked it up yet. Over all, we have not regretted our EggCamper purchase! Vi & John
Vi Turner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper