EggCamper Kit buildout - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-11-2008, 08:24 AM   #15

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Orlen, the quality of your craftsmanship is superb. You can build me a trailer any time! Thanks for sharing your progress.

Roger

Old 05-23-2008, 02:01 PM   #16

Name: Ron
Trailer: Eggless for now.
Formerly NH, now full timing
Registry
Quote:
I purchased an EggCamper kit last winter and have been installing the appliances, wiring, plumbing etc. a bit at a time. Several people have asked me to post some pictures and information on my progress so here goes:

First is pictures of the "naked" egg. The bathroom area is just a big open unfinished area. Also there is no headliner.

Attachment 12729

The most worrisome thing for me was cutting holes for the appliances. I measured many times before hauling out the saw. One big help was to put blue masking tape around where I planned to make a cut so the saw foot had something to slide across without scratching the fiberglass.

Attachment 12731

Attachment 12733

Let's see if this post works. If it does then I'll post more.
Orlen,

This is quite a project. I bought an Eggcamper in April, but it was all put together. I can relate to cutting worries. I added a small drawer to the face of the rear dinette seat, and measured several times before cutting, especially since the water tank was right behind the spot where I was cutting.

I'm curious about a hole that looks like you cut it at about counter-top level just behind the door. What's up with that hole? I'm assuming that the opening below is for a 3-way fridge.

Ron

Old 05-23-2008, 04:18 PM   #17

Name: Orlen
Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Colorado
Quote:
I'm curious about a hole that looks like you cut it at about counter-top level just behind the door. What's up with that hole? I'm assuming that the opening below is for a 3-way fridge.

Ron
The top hole is the exhaust vent for the 3-way refrigerator. You have to bring in the outside air at the bottom vent and exhaust it at the top or the heat will build up inside the refrigerator compartment. I also put a block above the upper vent so heat will not rise between the inner and outer wall. I'm building it up in wood for now but later will retrofit the entire compartment in fiberglass.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:04 AM   #18

Colorado
Guess it's time to add some more to the buildout saga.

Ventilation - The MaxxFan

I installed a MaxxFan just aft of the shower stall and to the left of the centerline. One problem I found is that the roof is not thick enough to meet the fan manufacturer's minimum specification, even with the wood framing between the roof and headliner. To alleviate this problem I made a spacer of a vinyl wood substitute called tuf-board. It isn't recommended for load bearing applications but works fine for making spacers. And it won't rot! Below are pictures of the framing in place with and without the trim ring.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ventfan1.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	14127

I also installed a MaxAir louver set on the starboard side window. This gives good cross ventilation without the risk of rain getting into the camper from an open window.

The headliner is Plastex waterproof wall panel by Parkland plastics held in place with velcro. The data sheet says "do not use in structures subjected to extreme temperature changes such as trailers and recreational vehicles" since it expands and contracts with temperature. I don't think this will be a problem in my application though since it is mounted with something that has a little "give" to allow expansion/contraction. We were looking for something that is easy to clean.

Attached Thumbnails
ventfan4.JPG  
Old 06-28-2008, 08:40 AM   #19

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Nice job, Orlen. I used Nevr-Rot to frame in a refrigerator in the Burro 17 I had several years ago. It's really great stuff for these applications.

Click image for larger version

Name:	new_fridge_installed.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	14130

Roger
Old 06-28-2008, 09:28 AM   #20

Trailer: Compact Jr
Very interesting. In the Before picture of your shower floor

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...st&id=16180

What's the small rectangular hole in the shell?

Old 06-29-2008, 12:28 AM   #21

Colorado
Quote:
Very interesting. In the Before picture of your shower floor

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...st&id=16180

What's the small rectangular hole in the shell?
If you are talking about the shiny rectangle near the center of the picture it is a piece of tape holding the wiring for the running lights. That has been removed and all running light wiring is now in black wire loom.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:49 AM   #22

Trailer: Compact Jr
Exclamation

Quote:
If you are talking about the shiny rectangle near the center of the picture it is a piece of tape holding the wiring for the running lights. That has been removed and all running light wiring is now in black wire loom.

Oops.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:19 AM   #23

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Oops.
Don't let it get to you Steve, I wondered what the "hole" was for too.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:05 PM   #24

Trailer: Trillium
Great job and interesting project. Year in the planning?

Don
Old 08-18-2008, 12:14 AM   #25

Colorado
Quote:
Great job and interesting project. Year in the planning?

Don
Don

This project has been decades in the planning. I've always wanted to build my own camper but had put it off and bought something to "tide me over" until I had the time. I've owned a motor home, several pop-up tent type campers, a few stickie camp trailers and a camper conversion on a Bronco.

Over the years I made a list of all the things I would do if I built my own. Once I decided on a molded fiberglass design I started looking for a manufacturer who would sell a shell. Burro used to sell a "kit" but they are out of business so that was a dead end. When I contacted other manufacturers I was told that it would be "difficult" to get a non-standard configuration. I finally had some luck with Jim Palmer at EggCamper. He gave me a quote for a "hollow egg" and after several more conversations I put down a deposit and set a date to pick up my new toy. I picked it up on October 15th of '07 and have been tinkering ever since.

I've taken pictures of many other steps in construction that I need to post along with a narrative but haven't had the time lately. Work keeps getting in the way of the fun of building (and documenting). I've also taken a couple of camping trips to enjoy the not quite finished camper. Of course that gives me more ideas for things to do to improve it.

Will the project ever be finished?

Old 08-02-2014, 05:33 PM   #26

Name: John
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
If we get an egg camper I wanted a larger refrigerator such as the Truckfridge or the larger Norcold. The problem is that looking at the pictures the wheel well may get in the way. The Truckfridge FL130 is 29 " h x 20 " w x 20 " d but I don't know if the depth includes the door or if it's from the mounting flange.

I still like to have room above the fridge for the cooktop which as you know takes about 3.5" but I don't know how tall the counter is. If it's the standard kitchen height of 36" then it should work. It all depends if the TF130 will clear the wheel well.

What's the dimensions of the large closet next to the door? Is it very deep in the shallowest part? It sure would be cool if it was big enough for the FL1130 to fit in.

How tall is the area from the top of the galley to the bottom of the cabinets directly above?

Still trying to find out how tall and wide the area where the A/C goes is. I'm assuming its about 23" deep.

I've got an e-mail in to Jim about a Kit although I'd go with one where none of the cutouts on the front of the galley are done so I can finish that off my self and there is enough room to add some additional wiring.

I'm thinking about adding Solar with SmartBattries. I can get 4 times the amp hours for the same weight as AGM batteries.

BTW, what AC/DC distribution panel does Jim use?

Tags
eggcamper