EggCamper Kit buildout - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2008, 05:10 PM   #1

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
I purchased an EggCamper kit last winter and have been installing the appliances, wiring, plumbing etc. a bit at a time. Several people have asked me to post some pictures and information on my progress so here goes:

First is pictures of the "naked" egg. The bathroom area is just a big open unfinished area. Also there is no headliner.

Click image for larger version

Name:	nakedshowerstall.JPG
Views:	381
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	12729

The most worrisome thing for me was cutting holes for the appliances. I measured many times before hauling out the saw. One big help was to put blue masking tape around where I planned to make a cut so the saw foot had something to slide across without scratching the fiberglass.

Name:	galleytopcutouts.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	12731

Name:	refrigventcutouts.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	12733

Let's see if this post works. If it does then I'll post more.
Attached Thumbnails
nakedbackwall.JPG   galleyfrontcutouts.JPG  

Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
orlen..
if this is a 07 Egg Camper why the renovations? thats fairly new?
anyways what your doing looks like alot of work on a good note.. it looks to be coming along fine and your doing a great job!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 06:51 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
orlen..
if this is a 07 Egg Camper why the renovations? thats fairly new?
anyways what your doing looks like alot of work on a good note.. it looks to be coming along fine and your doing a great job!
Christi. Orlen bought a KIT... not a completed trailer. Burro, once upon a time, sold kits too. Allowed the owner to save money by building their own trailer.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 06:54 AM   #4

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
I llooked at these. Please keep the pictures coming.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:22 PM   #5

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Looking good, Orlen!

I like what I've seen of the Egg Camper, too. It looks like an almost ideal egg trailer: All the bones of a good trailer and you get to fit it out exactly the way you want it!

And, yea, I bet looking at that clean, white, unblemished fiberglass with a saw in your hand would make you nervous. I know it'd make me nervous!

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:46 PM   #6

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007
Quote:
Looking good, Orlen!

I like what I've seen of the Egg Camper, too. It looks like an almost ideal egg trailer: All the bones of a good trailer and you get to fit it out exactly the way you want it!

And, yea, I bet looking at that clean, white, unblemished fiberglass with a saw in your hand would make you nervous. I know it'd make me nervous!

--Peter
Orlen is going all out on this project. I have the kit also, and I am working on mine too, but mine has a little different floor plan slightly. Until it is ready, the trusty little Burro is still up and going.
weldon freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:46 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Orlen,

I can't wait to see the end result! Keep up the good work and please keep the pics coming.
John Salomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:47 AM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Orlen is going all out on this project. I have the kit also, and I am working on mine too, but mine has a little different floor plan slightly. Until it is ready, the trusty little Burro is still up and going.
I sure hope someone with an EggCamper makes it to Bandon or some other Gathering I attend. They look like the perfect kit project and I'd love to see one in person.

--Peter
Old 04-20-2008, 01:53 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
That's why I like to buy used trailers! Worst case I just tell myself that the hole I just cut in the wrong place was done by the previous owner
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 05:11 PM   #10

Next step - install wiring. I'm installing both 120VAC and 12VDC systems and planning ahead for the inevitable future modifications. All the wiring is in color coded plastic flex conduit with the AC wiring in blue flex and the DC in orange split loom. Running lights are in black split loom. The factory imbedded a piece of blue flex under the door sill but just left a trough under the sill for 12V wiring so I snaked a piece of orange loom through the trough.

The load center is mounted inside the closet by the entryway. That way I didn't have to cut another hole through the interior paneling. The low voltage enters the hull where the right side frame member goes under the body. I brought the AC power in on the left side at the same location. That saved me from cutting another hole in the side of the hull and puts the shore power cord at the front of the trailer near the generator.

I found some very good wire for the 12V system a few years ago at a salvage sale at the Rocky Flats Bomb Trigger plant when they were "going out of business". It is silver plated stranded wire with teflon insulation over kapton insulation. No, it doesn't glow in the dark!

This picture is a shot down through the opening for the sink. You can see the blue & orange conduit as well as the blue & red water lines for the sink and the wast water plumbing for the sink. The wire is not pulled in yet in this picture.

Name:	electrical1.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	12778

Next step was to frame up the appliance compartments so I can put something in those gigantic holes I cut in the panels.

Name:	frameuprefrigandfurnace.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	12779

Finally I installed the appliances and started connecting the propane lines and wiring up the power.

Name:	installrefrigandfurnace.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	12780

Next post will be installing the shower and fresh water plumbing. Oh yeah - I get to cut another hole in the hull for the water heater. Fire up the Sawzall and let the fiberglass fly!

Old 04-21-2008, 08:01 PM   #11

Name: Phil
Trailer: 17ft 98 Casita FD
Texas
please keep the pics of the progress coming.. on average whats the cost of the egg camper kit?
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:08 AM   #12

Registry
[quote]I found some very good wire for the 12V system a few years ago at a salvage sale at the Rocky Flats Bomb Trigger plant when they were "going out of business". It is silver plated stranded wire with teflon insulation over kapton insulation. No, it doesn't glow in the dark!

Attachment 12778

Not worried about glow in the dark. Worried about parking next to you at a Gathering.

Chief, don't cut the RED wire. Remember, BLUE wire first! BLUE wire!

Looking real nice, by the way!

--Peter
Old 04-22-2008, 11:34 AM   #13

Quote:
on average whats the cost of the egg camper kit?
When I bought mine the cost of the kit version was $9,900 plus the inevitable tax/registration. I think the currently advertised price on the EggCamper web site is still $9,900 but I would call Jim to see if that price is still valid. When I picked it up at the factory I bought a shower floor/black water tank assembly, fresh water tank and gray water tank. I figured that would ensure that those parts would fit and would save me time overall since I wouldn't have to search for compatible parts. I already had a refrigerator, stove, furnace and water pump on hand. Everything else is available at any big box hardware store.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:46 PM   #14

Well, guess it's time for another update in the EggCamper buildout saga.

I now have the bathroom area installed. I tried to hide all the waste water and vent plumbing inside the walls and cabinets so I didn't have any ugly pipes in sight. The first two pictures are of the shower drain plumbing which is hidden inside the starboard side front closet. and inside the wall. I tried to plan for any future repairs by putting unions where the plumbing connected to the gray water tank. That way if I ever have to drop the tank for repairs I don't have to cut any pipes to do it. I couldn't find any ABS unions at any of the local hardware stores so I made my own by cutting down some ABS p-traps. There are also several rubber couplings in the drains so things can flex without breaking.

Name:	showerdrainplumbing1.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	13141
[attachment=16183:showerdr...lumbing2.
JPG]

I built a support framework to hold the shower floor and black water tank assembly. I like to be standing on solid ground when I take a shower so I built it of 5/8" plywood. I used a hole to saw to "swiss cheese" the support area under the shower floor to save a little weight without compromising structural integrity. The pictures below are of the support framework and the shower floor / black water tank assembly in place.

Name:	showerfloorsupport.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	13139

Vents for the gray water drains run inside the support post next to the galley sink and in the closet by the shower drain plumbing. I used a one-way valve to vent the shower drain and ran the outside vent directly above the galley sink. The factory black water tank vent line just goes up the corner of the shower stall and straight through the roof. I didn't want to do that because it would place the vent in close proximity to the Maxxfan. My solution was to run the vent pipe through the portside wall of the shower about a foot above the tank top connection, then run up the portside closet wall to the ceiling then aft about six feet inside the front edge of the cabinets, then through the roof. This puts the vent at about the same point (fore to aft) as the gray water vent on the starboard side and keeps it away from the roof vent.

The fresh water system is plumbed in with Pex tubing and crimp fittings. I tried to tuck all the tubing in along the front edge inside the cabinets. I also ran the wiring looms in the same areas so I can get to them for repairs in the future.

Well, I better get back to work.
Attached Thumbnails
showerfloor1.JPG   showerdrainplumbing2.JPG  

Old 05-11-2008, 07:24 AM   #15

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Orlen, the quality of your craftsmanship is superb. You can build me a trailer any time! Thanks for sharing your progress.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 01:01 PM   #16

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Quote:
I purchased an EggCamper kit last winter and have been installing the appliances, wiring, plumbing etc. a bit at a time. Several people have asked me to post some pictures and information on my progress so here goes:

First is pictures of the "naked" egg. The bathroom area is just a big open unfinished area. Also there is no headliner.

Attachment 12729

The most worrisome thing for me was cutting holes for the appliances. I measured many times before hauling out the saw. One big help was to put blue masking tape around where I planned to make a cut so the saw foot had something to slide across without scratching the fiberglass.

Attachment 12731

Attachment 12733

Let's see if this post works. If it does then I'll post more.
Orlen,

This is quite a project. I bought an Eggcamper in April, but it was all put together. I can relate to cutting worries. I added a small drawer to the face of the rear dinette seat, and measured several times before cutting, especially since the water tank was right behind the spot where I was cutting.

I'm curious about a hole that looks like you cut it at about counter-top level just behind the door. What's up with that hole? I'm assuming that the opening below is for a 3-way fridge.

Ron
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 03:18 PM   #17

Quote:
I'm curious about a hole that looks like you cut it at about counter-top level just behind the door. What's up with that hole? I'm assuming that the opening below is for a 3-way fridge.

Ron
The top hole is the exhaust vent for the 3-way refrigerator. You have to bring in the outside air at the bottom vent and exhaust it at the top or the heat will build up inside the refrigerator compartment. I also put a block above the upper vent so heat will not rise between the inner and outer wall. I'm building it up in wood for now but later will retrofit the entire compartment in fiberglass.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:04 AM   #18

Guess it's time to add some more to the buildout saga.

Ventilation - The MaxxFan

I installed a MaxxFan just aft of the shower stall and to the left of the centerline. One problem I found is that the roof is not thick enough to meet the fan manufacturer's minimum specification, even with the wood framing between the roof and headliner. To alleviate this problem I made a spacer of a vinyl wood substitute called tuf-board. It isn't recommended for load bearing applications but works fine for making spacers. And it won't rot! Below are pictures of the framing in place with and without the trim ring.

Name:	ventfan1.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	14127

I also installed a MaxAir louver set on the starboard side window. This gives good cross ventilation without the risk of rain getting into the camper from an open window.

The headliner is Plastex waterproof wall panel by Parkland plastics held in place with velcro. The data sheet says "do not use in structures subjected to extreme temperature changes such as trailers and recreational vehicles" since it expands and contracts with temperature. I don't think this will be a problem in my application though since it is mounted with something that has a little "give" to allow expansion/contraction. We were looking for something that is easy to clean.

Attached Thumbnails
ventfan4.JPG  
Old 06-28-2008, 07:40 AM   #19

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Nice job, Orlen. I used Nevr-Rot to frame in a refrigerator in the Burro 17 I had several years ago. It's really great stuff for these applications.

Name:	new_fridge_installed.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	14130

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:28 AM   #20

Trailer: Compact Jr
Very interesting. In the Before picture of your shower floor

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...st&id=16180

What's the small rectangular hole in the shell?

Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper