EggCamper Rib Seal? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2019, 02:49 PM   #1

Name: Dustin
Trailer: LOOKING
Michigan
EggCamper Rib Seal?

Hello anyone with an EggCamper.......the one from Michigan :-)

I have a small leak happening and I think the culprit may be the top rib seal of the EggCamper. I don't know if that is even the right term for it. It is the seal that goes straight down the middle of the out side of the camper.

The leak is showing in the top row of cupboards along the windows. The main identifier is the rusting of the screws for the electrical box inside the cupboards.

We had a big rain this week in Michigan and we noticed no leaks except for a small puddle around the electrical box. With some investigating its either the fan or the "rib seal".

I am wondering two things....whats it called and can I replace it? Maybe 3 things....should I just use some caulk/tape or other to seal the edge of it?

Anyone have any knowledge of this topic?

Will post pics soon....

db
photodusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:04 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
More likely the vent/fan ceiling opening. The seam is fiberglassed together and lapped over on the inside with more fg, I'm pretty sure.

Vents can be pulled and resealed readily enough, but do not use silicone caulk! Use butyl tape. Silicone will fail, and then it is a bear getting anything to seal against the residue.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:53 PM   #3

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
The seam is raised where the two halves meet, are sealed together, then capped, and it would be strange for rain to run uphill unless forced by wind, so I too, am guessing it's the fan vent opening. We have a 2010 EggCamper, and our main electric panel is just inside the entry door, under the entry closet's false floor. The only wiring in our overhead cabinets is the paired strands for the lights mounted under the overhead cabinets and for the vent fan. If you decide to remove the vent fan to find the leak, and it's still the original noisy little fan, consider replacing it with a quieter and more efficient MaxxFan or Fantastic Fan. Others have and not run into any problems with fit that I'm aware of. Best of luck....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:39 AM   #4

Michigan
Thanks to both of you. I will check out the fan :-) Was recently looking into a MaxxFan so this might be a good time to get one.

WarEagle....we have an outlet under the cabinets. The outlet box is what I was referring too. Its installed in the cabinets and that is what has the rusty screws and had a small puddle of water surrounding it. Ours is a 2008 EggCamper. Perhaps Jim did away with this on your model? Truth be told we don't use it :-)

Thanks again, I'll report back with an update.

db
Old 07-04-2019, 08:55 AM   #5

Oklahoma
I just wanted to add, usually a seam's cap is decorative in purpose, not really functional. The only trailer brand I've ever heard of having an issue with leaking at the seam was some of the old Trilliums.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:06 AM   #6

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
We have the outlet placed under the cabinet (above sink area) and the J-box for that outlet is in the cabinet, covered by a piece of carpet (original....installed by Jim Palmer). We replaced our original fan with the MaxxFan (we wrote about that on this forum, with pics). While we had that area open, replacing the fan, we could see the seam is very well reinforced and bonded together preventing any leakage. We suspect your leak is coming from the seal around the base of the fan where the mounting flange is attached to the fiberglass shell. We used butyl tape to seal the MaxxFan - have never had any problem with leaks there or anywhere else. Hope this helps a little!
2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 02:42 PM   #7

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letitia View Post
We have the outlet placed under the cabinet (above sink area) and the J-box for that outlet is in the cabinet, covered by a piece of carpet (original....installed by Jim Palmer). We replaced our original fan with the MaxxFan (we wrote about that on this forum, with pics). While we had that area open, replacing the fan, we could see the seam is very well reinforced and bonded together preventing any leakage. We suspect your leak is coming from the seal around the base of the fan where the mounting flange is attached to the fiberglass shell. We used butyl tape to seal the MaxxFan - have never had any problem with leaks there or anywhere else. Hope this helps a little!
Thanks for this info :-) I did follow your post on the install too :-)

Currently doing a "test" with some waterproof cord around the outside of the fan up top. Expecting rain soon so I will see if a puddle emerges.

db
Old 07-05-2019, 01:48 PM   #8

Oklahoma
Either wait for rain, or make your own rain (garden hose).

Tags
eggcamper