Eggshell clean and shine time - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-08-2014, 10:55 AM   #15

Name: Donna
Trailer: Scamp
Missouri
Thanks Ron (and everyone for advice)

I assume you might have to remove the floor polish coatings too if you had to touch up paint?

We do have one little tiny boo-boo in the SCAMP decal graphic we might patch before shining. Doesn't seem worthy of replacement for sure.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:15 AM   #16

Name: Drew
Trailer: Trillium Outback - 2004
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
3M Marine Restore and Wax will take off all the gunk and leave it nice and shiny.
Where would you normally find that in Canada? Thanks.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:19 AM   #17

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Our local Canadian Tire sells many of the 3M fiberglass cleaning and waxing products - found in the boat section. Any marine supply store as well will have it - although I appreciate you might be a little short on those in Alberta ;-) I have even seen some of the 3M products in the boat section at Walmart as well.

BTW I am pretty sure the automotive parts shop Lordco had some 3M fiberglass products as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:22 AM   #18

Name: Drew
Trailer: Trillium Outback - 2004
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Our local Canadian Tire sells most of the 3M fiberglass cleaning and waxing products - found in the boat section. Any marine supply store as well will have it - although I appreciate you might be a little short on those in Alberta ;-) I have even seen some of the 3M products in the boat section at Walmart as well.
Thanks! Looks like a few of our local Canadian Tire stores carry it.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:34 AM   #19

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by multi-task View Post
Thanks! Looks like a few of our local Canadian Tire stores carry it.
They have a Clean and Wax consumer product - looks like the same bottle as Restore and Wax but its not - the Clean and Wax is very light duty and may not take off all the gunk you described. If you have a trailer with heavier caulking on it they also offer a fairly light consumer grade straight compound as well.
One of the small bottles of any of those products sell for about $16 & should do the whole trailer.

If you end up using the straight compound product they have another product called Finesse It II which will really make it pop!

All of it works best if you have a good power polisher and wool bonnets - just like the car guys use

Of course once you have it all shiny and new looking again you will need to put a good wax on it. I did the Restore & Wax using a buffer six years ago on my trailer - the fiberglass was pretty caulking as the trailer had sat out in the sun in Idaho for 16 years. Since then I haven't had to do the whole trailer again just a good waxing every spring & if I have time I *might* do it again in the fall before leaving it out for the winter. I do keep a bottle of the Restore and Wax on hand for getting rid on some of the tough black streaks and road grim that needs a little extra help to get off though.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote