Electric at campgrounds - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #15

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
a 150 watt curling iron (we're camping???) = 1.25 amps etc.

LOL, your point is ? Bob, after camping almost 40 plus years with my curling iron, makeup (my Mom packed for me before that) in tow I finally fit in.............. Love that glamping has become the hit thing! Kinda like that country song, I was country before country was cool...... Well I have been glamping for years and years. I even own a butane curling iron for dry camping...... Wish I could find a butane flat iron, I would be a happy glamper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Bob, Robin is a certified member of the Glamping fraternity, so yes a curling iron, is a camping necessity

Old 01-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #16

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
LOL, your point is ? Bob, after camping almost 40 plus years with my curling iron, makeup (my Mom packed for me before that) in tow I finally fit in.............. Love that glamping has become the hit thing! Kinda like that country song, I was country before country was cool...... Well I have been glamping for years and years. I even own a butane curling iron for dry camping...... Wish I could find a butane flat iron, I would be a happy glamper!
You Go Girl ! oh and keep looking I have seen a butane flat iron somewhere ,but unlike some people( Donna D is wonderful at it ) I can not remember where.

Just a thought have you checked dive sights? Our DD use to scuba dive and she got her butane curling iron from a dive shop vender at a trade show one year. Of course that was at least 10 years ago,but who knows

Old 01-18-2013, 09:38 PM   #17

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
Louise, I carry an adapter that will let me plug a 15amp cord into a 30 amp receptacle. I've gone to a few parks that had 30's and 15's BUT the 15 amp plug was not working. The adapter allowed me to plug my 15amp cord into the 30amp receptacle. They cost a few bucks but can save you a big headache!
Old 01-19-2013, 01:55 AM   #18

[QUOTE=Lynn Musgrave;357041][QUOTE=

looking I have seen a butane flat iron somewhere ,but unlike some people( Donna D is wonderful at it ) I can not remember where.
Just a thought have you checked dive sights?
[/QUOTE]

I understand Lynn! Many times I post a question about a old topic, pic etc, knowing Donna D will be the first to answer it. She has a wonderful memory!

No and CO isn't the diving capitol of the world, but I do know many who do dive. I will put them on the hunt! Thanks for the tip....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
Louise, I carry an adapter that will let me plug a 15amp cord into a 30 amp receptacle. I've gone to a few parks that had 30's and 15's BUT the 15 amp plug was not working. The adapter allowed me to plug my 15amp cord into the 30amp receptacle. They cost a few bucks but can save you a big headache!

Now that will happen more often than just about any other scenario mentioned. If your trailer is a 15 amp, like Pam you should carry a adapter.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #19

Name: Louise
Trailer: 1985 UHaul
Michigan
Ah-ha! They do make an adapter for that! Yay! Thanks, Pam.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #20

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Wish I could find a butane flat iron, I would be a happy glamper!
Conair TC701 Butane Flat Iron

Glamp on Girl!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post

Carol, You rock! Thanks!
Old 01-22-2013, 01:51 PM   #22

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by havingfunnow View Post
Ah-ha! I needed the photos!

Just to be clear -- I don't have a trailer yet. I do have camping gear, and I can manage ok without electricity -- but if I'm going to be out for a few weeks, I would like to be able to plug in a standard extension cord and run my computer for a few hours.

I'm hoping this will be the Year of the Egg -- fingers crossed!
where are you in michigan? and have you checked out a scamp in person?
if you get one,,and i urge you to do it sooner then later as you will kick yourself over all the great times your missing,,,,please make sure to come to algonac in september to play with us....we behave well,,,pretty well anyway.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #23

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:

go to the antique stores and you may find flatirons,,,and even curling irons for heating on the fire or stove.....every thin new is old again.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:42 PM   #24

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Our first few years we carried an iron. Now we have adopted the wrinkled look.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:40 PM   #25

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
where are you in michigan? and have you checked out a scamp in person?
if you get one,,and i urge you to do it sooner then later as you will kick yourself over all the great times your missing,,,,please make sure to come to algonac in september to play with us....we behave well,,,pretty well anyway.
John, Louise has visited my UHaul, and she's also toured my girlfriend's Scamp (that cutie little flowered Scamp that was at Algonac). .....so I think that she's well on her way to the FG lifestyle !!
Old 01-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #26

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Our first few years we carried an iron. Now we have adopted the wrinkled look.
Agree with you on that ,but sometimes some of us would like to get the wrinkles( curly waves) out of our hair.

Oh wait some of us Young folks......(so not young lady here ) still have Hair

Ok sorry the devil made me say it....I'll just go to my room now.

Happy Camping and you know I did understand what you were saying I just had to have a little fun with you
Old 01-23-2013, 10:54 PM   #27

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by havingfunnow View Post

Just to be clear -- I don't have a trailer yet. I do have camping gear, and I can manage ok without electricity -- but if I'm going to be out for a few weeks, I would like to be able to plug in a standard extension cord and run my computer for a few hours.
As usual, we're overcomplicating this whole thing...guess what?

There's a reason that nearly all good-sized tents come with flaps marked "power port" now, and that reason is that tent campers use the heck out of electric sites! Get yourself a decent outdoor cord of at least 12 weight (in case you want to run a heater, too!) and have at it. State Parks in my area always have 15 amp adjacent to anything bigger that might be on the post.

And while you're still "no-trailer" camping:
Do NOT attempt to use just a plain adapter and extension cord to turn 30 or 50 amp to 15 amp.
Without the intervening circuit breaker you'll do this to yourself:

Have fun!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:34 PM   #28

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Actually there is little reason whatsoever to worry about using an adapter to plug a standard extnsion cord into a 30 or 50 amp outlet UNLESS you happen to have a dead short in the cord somewhere. To alleviate any paranoia (?) just use a plug strip, with a built in 15 amp breaker, at the cords outlet end, to protect from that .001% possibility.