Emergency flasher - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-08-2005, 12:34 PM   #1

Trailer: 16 Scamp, 17 Casita, 21Bigfoot now
Registry
Saw this and thought it looked like a good idea.

Emergency Flasher

Old 12-08-2005, 02:47 PM   #2

Name: Darrel
Trailer: 73 13 ft Hunter Compact II
Nevada
Chris, This could definately work. I have two observations. First I assume you unplug the flasher unit to disingage the flashing lights when you are ready to go. Otherwise you would have feedback through the wiring when you hooked back up to the tow.

Second is that I personally have developed a philosophy to not use flashers on a stranded vehicle unless I stay with it and need additional safety measures. Most vehicle light lenses are reflective and are adaquate for signaling approaching vehicles at night. I have passed numerous parked vehicles with the flashers so dim you could barely see them. Now the stranded vehicle has another repair problem. if you are gone for an extended time the battery will be drained and cause additional problems when getting the vehicle going again. I would much prefer using a separate emergency signal light. There are numerous very bright small battery powered led emergency lights or triangles like truckers use which would be better if you have to leave the vehicle at night. This is just my opinion.

Thank you for the Idea.
Darrel

Old 12-08-2005, 05:24 PM   #3

Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
Thats a great idea. Could be very helpfull
Old 12-08-2005, 05:28 PM   #4

Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Add a jumper between the red, brown, green wires, and second wire to the black wire, and your brake lights will flash very brightly also at some increase in battery drain.

I'll go out on a limb here, and say that all of these lights will draw about 5 amps when they are lighted. Since they are on about half of the time, your 70 amp hour battery should last about 28 hours before being fully depleted.

I've also thought that it would be good to have the emergency flashers activate automatically when the break-away switch is activated. The circuit would be a bit more complex than what is described above, but it isn't all that complicated.

-- Dan Meyer
Old 12-08-2005, 07:37 PM   #5

Trailer: 77 Scamp 13 ft
I think thats a great idea but somtimes its just better to get off the road as far as possable. I know the flashing lights would give some people advanced warning but i swear half the folks on the road are clueless to say it nicely. And prity flashing lights just might atract them

Here is a link to a vidio that explains my point http://www.compfused.com/directlink/1061/ You know the trooper has a bunch of lights flashing and its even daylight...

Check this site out... some neet stuff
Old 12-08-2005, 07:56 PM   #6

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I think in a perfect world a person wouldn't need flashers to identify a parked trailer. But, stuff happens. This appears to be a relatively inexpensive and easy to make solution for that one time the trailer is parked (and not far enough off on the shoulder of the highway to suit me), on a windy road, in the pouring down rain and with lenses that have road rash on them. If the trailer battery ended up running completely down, I'm thinking I'd rather replace that, than fix the busted fiberglass because someone didn't identify a parked trailer soon enough to avoid a collision.

But, it's not a mandatory piece of equipment and the nice part about being a free thinking person, we each get to decide what works best for us.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 08:44 PM   #7

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
An alternative.

You can carry a large size 12v light that flashes which has 20' of wire. This wire has alligator clips that attach to your battery. Just clip in on the battery if you need it. No need to splice to any wiring. When finished, just stow it away with your other emergency equipment.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:15 PM   #8

Trailer: 77 Scamp 13 ft
Ive been thinking more about this and it makes perfect sence to have flashers on while your trailer is pulled over on the side of the road. UNHOOK.... NOT ME!

I guess what doesnt make sence to me is what kind of problem would cause you to unhook your trailer and leave it so close to the highway that some flashing lights would help?

If your that close put up a fiew triangles and maybe some flares?

Oah... You dont have a couple flares or a triangle to set!

A row of triangles or a couple flares set up properly does wonders!

A burning flare is a sure sign of somthing wrong on a highway.... A bunch of blinking lights is nothing more than a bunch of blinking lights.

If your woried about your fiberglass getting smashed. Even if your pulled 5 feet off the highway.

PUT OUT A FLARE.
PUT OUT A COUPLE TRIANGLES.

don't leave your trailer in the highway.... dont unhook your trailer in the highway.... and if you must unhook your trailer in a highway.... put out some flares

dont wory about how many flashing lights you have....
Old 12-08-2005, 11:15 PM   #9

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Burning flares are not always allowed on some hiways. I know if I saw one in my nieghborhood that didn't have a Hiway patrol car near it, I would stop and schmoosh it out immediately.

It was actually a flare that started one of the 3 big fires down here in 2003.

I don't know about other folks, but if I see flashers, I also assume there are people near the vehicle. That natural assumtion may be enough to keep folks from stopping specifically to loot your rig.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:53 PM   #10

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

I had thought of doing some kind of hook-up of this sort; but just for my amusement while at a campsite. I never thought that it might have a useful purpose. What I was contemplating would have been a little specific to my Fiber Stream trailer. It has back-up lights, and the Bathroom window is in the back. I wanted to rig up a switch in the bathroom to turn on the back-up lights so I could see out the bathroom window in the middle of the night if I hear a noise out there.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:09 AM   #11

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
off topic but another view point

I have never left my trailer unhooked along the highway and if I did my first concern would be if my trailer was there when I came back. My second would be if there was anything left in it .

I have added DOT approved reflective tape from Wally World to the rear. A couple of full sized pieces on the bumper and a couple of small pieces on the belly band under the rear window. They work well for added visibility with or without lights.

Nick
Old 12-10-2005, 10:52 AM   #12

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Reflective tape....great idea!

The idea of leaving my egg all by itself is scary for the very reasons you mentioned Nick. I have spent time thinking about "what if ...." Being a single woman who travels most often by herself, my solutions are a bit more limited than perhaps for a couple. I can think of a several reasons the trailer would have to be parked along side a road and left all by itself and those reasons have to do with the trailer no longer safe to move, or shouldn't be moved. Broken frame, damaged coupler, burnt wheel bearing.... If I found myself in an area that my cell phone won't dial out, I may HAVE to leave the trailer to go get help. I carry a Gorrilla lock (I know there are better ones, but this is the one I have), that I would install after I unhitched. Depending on circumstances, etc. I may even feel compelled to remove one tire/wheel. Now there's a better chance no one can just hookup and tow it off. Not a whole lot I could do about the stuff inside, except take the irreplaceable stuff with me.

This topic reminds me of being in the ocean on a boat and the boat catches fire....absolutely scary. I know this may happen someday and I like to think I've thought about the best possible solutions to a bad situation.
Attached Images

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 01:49 PM   #13

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Donna

You might try a couple of locking cables used for securing mototcycles and such. One on each side looped through the wheel and around the frame. I think I have seen similar cables in Home Depot. They could also serve to tie a generator down and they coil up nicely.

If you have to leave it you could always try an NRA sticker on the door glass (to be removed prior to trips to over the northern border) and a radio playing inside with a light on.

Nick

(You do carry a spare wheel bearing pregreased a seal and required tools?)
Old 12-14-2005, 01:33 PM   #14

Trailer: 1994 20 ft Bigfoot 5th Wheel / Toyota Tacoma SR5
We purchased a couple of flashing LED bicycle lights for this very reason. They clip onto the bumper and put out a pretty bright light. I think we paid under $5.00 each for them at Target.

Paul