Emergency radios doing double duty in RVs. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2017, 07:18 PM   #21

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Gordon, ya got me. I am really surprised to hear 20 min runtime on 1 min cranking. That is darn good!
Agreed,mine literally do nothing at all for a lot of cranking and just appear DEAD until you are more worn out than I want to be for the payoff.

Which unit is this Gordon?
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:20 PM   #22

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
The Kaito radio was out of stock. I should get it around Wednesday. I will post about its construction, performance and compare it to typical Sangean performance a day or so after that. I don't own the Sangean hand crank, but a half dozen Sangeans have been pretty good.

Until then, here are several reviews:

This favorable review seems to highlight strengths and weaknesses, saying it is one of the best in its emergency category. It does not say it is the best radio period.

https://ultratechlife.com/reviews/th...-radio-review/

Kaito KA500 Emergency Radio. Product Reviews
Sorry I was under the impression that you already had this so I will be standing by for your actual experience with it.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:35 PM   #23

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
Agreed,mine literally do nothing at all for a lot of cranking and just appear DEAD until you are more worn out than I want to be for the payoff.

Which unit is this Gordon?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0071BTJPI

But its not available at Amazon and I dont know that I would recommend it even though it runs on just a little cranking. The sound is tinny, the reception is not great (and mostly not at all on AM), if you use the Weather Alert standby function, it drains the battery fast, and it feels cheaply made. There are likely better choices but it works for me so far.

I see there is newer model.. it might be better (or it might be worse).
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:49 PM   #24

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
Slight change of subject but I scan ebay and craigslist every once in a while for tube type radios. None are currently being manufactured anywhere in the world. I wish I had the expertise to get the parts and build or repair one.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:54 PM   #25

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
I did a web search for "Tube radio kit". There were a lot of responses, and I could not begin to evaluate their merits. I would also search, tube radio plans. Good luck.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 05:29 AM   #26

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
Bruce do not buy one of those old used radios! Tubes will and may be fine the old capacitors leak and go bad. You cannot find them! Every ham radio rig is now solid state no tubes but they will go bad too!

The old tube type sterio amps are the rage right now but big bux to fix!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:45 PM   #27

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
The Kaito Voyager arrived today

Very full featured in a small package. It is about 5x8x 1.5". Eleven bands total , 7 are weather bands, AM, FM, and 2 SW. I thought the reception was pretty good. Bear in mind there are better flashlights, tuners, and so on but this combines them all.

Outdoors the tuner pulled in KOA FM, a 75 watt (yes) low power translator paired with a 50,000 watt AM blowtorch. It also did ok pulling in a 5,000 watt directional AM station. Reception in a concrete and steel high rise was tough for AM, reduced for FM. Strong stations came in, but not the 75 watt FM one. I also got stronger AM stations in a room filled with electrical equipment. So it would work in an emergency. Plus, in an emergency all that electrical stuff is off. You might not buy this for everyday use in an office tower, but it works.

In my experience, you often get one or a few weather band stations, and I did. It has a NOAA alert function that in my experience leaves the radio in a dormant state, yet comes to life when NOAA sends an alert trigger. I like that a lot. It would have to consume some battery or AC in alert mode.

Build quality is adequate, but it is not for rugged use at a construction site. The crank works fine, but could be damaged by rough handling. There is nothing junky about the quality, but it is compact and light. The original BayGen was almost indestructible by comparison.

The reading light, flashlight, and flashing red light all work ok. Their appeal is that they are combined in an attractive package. I could see using the reading light. I liked the 5 leds under the solar panel.

It arrived late in the day, but the solar panel seemed fine. It won't jump start your F250 Power Stroke, but with solar & cranking I think you could get a cell phone to work.

Would I buy it again? Absolutely for an emergency kit. I expect to use it daily also.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote