Ensolite - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2009, 05:09 PM   #21

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
R-value of the 3/8" Home Depot product is 1.2 (R 3.2 per inch). Does anyone know how this compares to ensolite or other foams?
I just found out that the highest Ensolite R-value is R-4 per inch of their EPS foam. This works out to a value of 1.5 for a 3/8 inch sheet. Seems like a .3 increase in R value is not such a big difference between the two foams, Ensolite and EcoFoam.

Here are a couple of pictures of the Home Depot foam sheet. I put a piece of 92 bright copy paper on the foam for contrast. The foam is an off white - sort of creamy.

The front has a smooth skin - Need to paint?
Click image for larger version

Name:	EcoFoam_Front.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	22989

The back has a woven plastic fabric laminated to it - similar to a tight weave burlap. Might make an interesting texture painted....

Name:	EcoFoam_Back.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	22990

(Taking close ups of white on white - sorry for the poor quality. You can get an idea, though...).

I'll be doing glue and paint tests in a couple of days. More then...

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:29 PM   #22

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Here are a couple of pictures of the Home Depot foam sheet. I put a piece of 92 bright copy paper on the foam for contrast. The foam is an off white - sort of creamy.

The front has a smooth skin - Need to paint?
Attachment 22989

The back has a woven plastic fabric laminated to it - similar to a tight weave burlap. Might make an interesting texture painted....
Attachment 22990

I'll be doing glue and paint tests in a couple of days. More then...
Hi All,

I finally am able to report on Home Depot's Healthier Choice Platinum Plus Eco Foam Padding.

<a href="http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?jspStoreDir=hdus&catalogId=10053&pr oductId=100663186&navFlow=3&keyword=eco%2Bfoam%2Bp adding&langId=-1&searchRedirect=eco+foam+padding&storeId=10051&en decaDataBean=com.homedepot.sa.el.wc.catalog.beans. EndecaDataBean%4019bc8f5b&ddkey=Search" target="_blank">Home DepotFoam</a>

Good News and Bad.

As I said earlier, it is 3/8 inch thick, six feet wide and comes in a roll 45 feet long. This is enough to insulate a 16 foot trailer. It costs $250, freight free. It is a light cream color, skinned on one side and with a burlap fabric on the other.

I glued test samples to the trailer wall. The plain/skinned side adhered well. The fabric adhered to the wall but the foam then pulled from the fabric, leaving the burlap on the wall.

I painted other samples. I used Zinnser primer and a semi-gloss interior latex paint. After drying the plain/skinned side cracked at the slightest flex. I think this is not a factor with ensolite, no skin. The burlap took the paint and didn't crack.

Name:	Painted_skin_side.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	23825

So, If someone wants to use it with the textured side visible it would probably work. I would not use it with the plain/skinned side out – would peel off the walls and crack.

The company, Healthier Choice, was very helpful. Good people and, info and samples. They do make non-backed foams and may make foam without skin. This would make it acceptable and it is eco-friendly. I haven't contacted them for more info or dealers, yet. Will pass on anything I find out.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
painted_fabric_side.JPG  

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:02 PM   #23

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp and 1985 13 ft Scamp
Thumbs up

Quote:
I was just cruizin' Bolerama and spotted this post:

Here's the eBay link: eBay - Trimjobber

Maybe it will help someone...
Correct me if I am wrong, the ensolite from IRFOAM is not the ensolite for the scamps?
I am in the process of stripping the little scamper and I have been trying to save the material I have pulled back and up to re-apply, but it looks more that I should just replace all of it
my sister joking said I should just glue that material used inside kitchen cabinets made from contact, over that silver stuff from home depot. Has any one done that?
sugermc is offline   Reply With Quote