Ensolite paint - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-12-2006, 03:47 PM   #15

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
WOW Lizbeth, looks like somebody was a heavy cigar smoker, LOL......my egg was pretty well white inside, maybe like a Ford wimbleton white that`s just off white.....glad that I didn`t experience some of the problems that other owners had.......with different paints and depending on the climate where you are, you never know how well the adhesion is.....Example here, the temps could range from lower than -40 to +105 F.....from summer to winter so different materials sure can change a lot in size.....so when you glue materials to other materials they don`t contract or stretch the same amount....it becomes extreme I suppose....I don`t know if that would affect it or not...maybe not......paint on cars doesn`t fall off, LOL......Benny

Old 03-18-2006, 07:56 PM   #16

Trailer: Surfside TM14 1974
Registry
Quote:
I also need to paint the ensolite in my egg and was wondering if there is a textured paint that can be used? Thanks Joe
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some ijit used granite paint on the backsplash of my unit. It was probably fine the first year or so. Then it started flaking! And flaking! And flaking!
Getting it off took 2 months of cleaning and scraping almost every night, which had to be done because you can't paint over the flakes because then the new paint will flake off!
*SHUDDER*

- Miriam

Old 03-25-2006, 04:37 PM   #17

Trailer: 80 Trillium
Send a message via ICQ to Timmer Send a message via MSN to Timmer Send a message via Yahoo to Timmer
Hey Gang., I did a post a few years ago showing how i did the painting, I managed to glue the material back on using some 3m Glue I wanted to keep in mind that people will touch the ensolite and it will be subjected to extream cold and heat. I used Beyr High Hide Primer, this allowed for go adhesion and hide. I have not had a problem. My friend used some plastic paints against my advice. I had to chuckle and rub in a "I told ya so" when his interior started to crack and flake,
Old 03-29-2006, 06:03 PM   #18

Trailer: 79 Boler 17 ft
Hi. I am a Boler Newby. Just picked up a 79 17 foot side Gaucho. So Far I have discovered some rather nasty black ensolite caused by belly-band perforations and leaks. I am planning on tackling it by cutting out the nasty parts ensolite, replacing with equivalent thickness foam carpet underlay, and using a sticky oil based paint mixed with stucco texture additive. I will tell you how I do in about a week. Lucky for me the offending area is mostly covered by cupboards.

Regards
Kevin.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:36 PM   #19

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
Kevin....my ensolite is black (the foam part) with a white vinyl covering.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:08 PM   #20

Trailer: 73 Boler
I think i would use elastomeric paint. Its used to paint stucco houses. Its a rubber paint that allows stucco to breath and does not crack as its rubber. Great stuff.
Like i said. Its rubber.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:22 PM   #21

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
... Just picked up a 79 17 foot side Gaucho. So Far I have discovered some rather nasty black ensolite caused by belly-band perforations and leaks....
Quote:
Kevin....my ensolite is black (the foam part) with a white vinyl covering.
We learned in earlier discussions of the foam lining used in Bolers, in this and another forum, that 13' and 17' Bolers generally use two different types of lining:
  • 13' Bolers - Ensolite
    • dense black foam
    • foam is believed to be rubber
    • durable textured surface film
    • seams covered in tape
  • 17' Bolers - not Ensolite?
    • soft, open-celled, yellow foam
    • foam is almost certainly not rubber
    • thin "popcorn" texture surface film
    • no visible seam trim
Benny has both types of Boler and posted a great comparison photo, but I can't find a copy at the moment.

In my B1700, black foam is bad.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 08:31 PM   #22

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
Brian, I do remember that discussion and those pictures! I wish they were still avaiable. I can see where black foam would be bad, in my 79' B1300 it's normal. Thanks for reminding me of the difference.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:37 PM   #23

Trailer: 79 Boler 17 ft
Hey, thanks for the clarification Brian. In my ramblings, I've never come across as clear an an explanation as yours.

And yes, my insulation is open celled yellow foam. The black I mention is mold. After looking at the foam, I thought to myself: Hmm, just like cheap carpet undercushion, how hard can that be? The trick is the bubbles on the top surface. Home Depot carries these spray cans of texture which is oil based, so I am up for the challenge! The open celled foam acts like a sponge to water, and takes forever to dry. Therefore the puddles of water on the floor would be larger if the foam had not absorbed the water.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:12 PM   #24

Trailer: 75 Boler
After looking all over for Zinsser paint and then Decotime I decided to go with plan B.

I went to Miller paint in Burien and they hooked me up with a gallon of white Outdoor acrylic house paint. He said the outdoor paint would withstand the change of temp in the egg and the acrylic is best since it will adhere to the already pained ensolite.

I purchased the my egg a couple years ago with a hanus peach color on the ensolite, wood trim and cabinets to match...gag. I did a test area on the liner and it looks good. I'll paint the rest this sunday.

If I can monkey with the resolution/size of the picture I took, I will I post it

All I got.

Dan

Tags
paint, painting