ensolite repair - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2007, 07:28 AM   #1

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
Hi everyone,
I am trying to remove some sticky backed velcro from the inside of my Scamp. When I pull the velcro it comes off with several layers of paint as well as what looks like the top layer of ensolite.
Is there some way to patch this mess once all the velcro is removed?
Any ideas?
Thanks!
Marjie
Rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Short of patching the ensolite, you could try some caulking over the damaged areas, dappling the finish with paper towel in the same fashion as many people have done when removing the seam tape and replacing with caulk.
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:59 PM   #3

New York
Hi Lainey,
Thanks for your reply...
I was thinking of caulking. The kind I use for house-related stuff would be "acrylic latex caulk plus silicone" (I'm looking at the tube right now). Is that the kind you think would work best?
Marjie
Old 08-29-2007, 08:15 PM   #4

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Quote:
Hi Lainey,
Thanks for your reply...
I was thinking of caulking. The kind I use for house-related stuff would be "acrylic latex caulk plus silicone" (I'm looking at the tube right now). Is that the kind you think would work best?
Marjie
That would be fine directly on the ensolite, but if you're doing anything that touches the fiberglass (eg: seam tape replacement) you want the one without silicone as it won't bond to the glass as well.
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:10 AM   #5

Trailer: 73 Boler
Quote:
That would be fine directly on the ensolite, but if you're doing anything that touches the fiberglass (eg: seam tape replacement) you want the one without silicone as it won't bond to the glass as well.
Have a look inside your cupboard under the stove area. trim a piece of ensolite from this area where no one will see it. Make the patch nice then trace it to the area you want to replace. Cut out the trace and replace the messed up area with a new patch.
colin k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:06 PM   #6

New York
Hello,
Thanks to you both for your help!
I will give it a try as soon as I have some time,
Marjie
Old 08-31-2007, 12:08 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
margie, try dissolving the glue of the sticky tape, rather than pulling it off. i always forget what does this, but i think its alchohol, if not, mineral spirits. the patch idea from colin is very clever.
gillian s is offline   Reply With Quote