ensolite replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2006, 07:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 16 ft Casita
The love bug has been mine for 5 days now. After digging in, we discovered the ENTIRE floor is rotten and will need to be replaced. We are in the process of completely gutting the inside.We are going rewire everything, paint the frame with POR-24, and replace the wood floor. The next step will be to put laminate wood flooring down, paint all the cabinet/bench pieces and put it back together. When I got the bug, most of the ensolite was already removed. I had no choice and had to remove what was left. So, my biggest problem right now is...where can I buy ensolite? If it is something I can't get, what is recommended to replace it?
Lisa Rynearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:32 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Lisa, here's some resources from our Helpful-Links page: Helpful-Links - Ensolite

You may want to also consider insulation and rat fur from Scamp Other's will jump in with even more suggestions
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 08:32 AM   #3

Trailer: 1992 13 ft Scamp
Lisa,
Welcome to the deep renovations club. We have a 92s13 and did major floor work last summer......right after we bought it. It is reflectix & rat fur interior. We have posted a lot of pictures of the work we did on the photos section of "Scampers" in Yahoo Groups as "Dave and Dianes Project Scamp" . I suggest you join (free) and have a look. If you have any questions we'll be glad to help if we can. We're not familiar with the Love Bug construction so we sure can't give specific advice.......but, "Floyd" a poster on Scampers message board has worked on at least one Bug. Also, A lady who posts as "Faithrice" on Yahoo and "Faith" here has recently gutted a 77S13 of it's original ensolite and at last report was ready to replace it with Reflectix and Rat fur. I suggest you contact her for tips and hints.

Dave and Diane
Quote:
Lisa, here's some resources from our Helpful-Links page: Helpful-Links - Ensolite

You may want to also consider insulation and rat fur from Scamp Other's will jump in with even more suggestions
DianeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 10:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Lisa,
Welcome to a great adventure. We found it necessary to remove every snip of ensolite. We had some rot, but with the older Scamps, the floor is plywood, so were able to just route out the rotten layers then fill in the holes. The frig and furnace were in such condition that we felt it dangerous to even try to find out if they worked. The removal of them was an adventure, as well as stress on the marriage. We got the mylar/bubble insulation and rat fur (kind of like the soft side of Velcro) from Scamp. The silver bubble suff is nearly all in. The current challenge is breathing while trying to glue the stuff in. The glue looks like raspberry ice cream sauce, but causes funny things to happen to your judgement when you are inside the confined space of the little 13 foot Scamp even with everything open and a big box fan in the door.
We have been through just about all of the hard stuff including a tire that came apart and whipped a hole in the floor behind the tire well and the back part of the tire well.
And we are smiling. We are getting anxious to get this on the road.
I have been taking pix of the whole process and intend to post on the day we finally hit the road.
Both this group and the Scamp group have been very helpful. Even encouraging us as we got stuck and needed new direction. Let me know if we can help.
Faith
Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 11:05 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
The current challenge is breathing while trying to glue the stuff in. The glue looks like raspberry ice cream sauce, but causes funny things to happen to your judgement when you are inside the confined space of the little 13 foot Scamp even with everything open and a big box fan in the door.
Faith
Faith and any others that are messing with glues like this, go to your local hardware/paint store and buy a good respirator. Tell them what you're using and get one that will remove the fumes. It's important for your well being.

Byron
Old 04-10-2006, 06:46 PM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft Casita
Quote:
Lisa,
Welcome to a great adventure. We found it necessary to remove every snip of ensolite. We had some rot, but with the older Scamps, the floor is plywood, so were able to just route out the rotten layers then fill in the holes. The frig and furnace were in such condition that we felt it dangerous to even try to find out if they worked. The removal of them was an adventure, as well as stress on the marriage. We got the mylar/bubble insulation and rat fur (kind of like the soft side of Velcro) from Scamp. The silver bubble suff is nearly all in. The current challenge is breathing while trying to glue the stuff in. The glue looks like raspberry ice cream sauce, but causes funny things to happen to your judgement when you are inside the confined space of the little 13 foot Scamp even with everything open and a big box fan in the door.
We have been through just about all of the hard stuff including a tire that came apart and whipped a hole in the floor behind the tire well and the back part of the tire well.
And we are smiling. We are getting anxious to get this on the road.
I have been taking pix of the whole process and intend to post on the day we finally hit the road.
Both this group and the Scamp group have been very helpful. Even encouraging us as we got stuck and needed new direction. Let me know if we can help.
Faith
Thanks for all the assistance. We too are taking pictures as we go and hope to have the trailer complete before fall.
Lisa Rynearson is offline   Reply With Quote