Escape Trailer Plan B - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2007, 08:04 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Greetings, we're new to the forum and are thinking of moving up to the Escape trailer. We have tent trailered for the past ten years and have gotten tired of the setting up. We were looking at some of the regular construction light weight trailers but they seem to be to heavy. Towing vehicle is a 05 Honda Odessey max tow weight is 3500 lbs. I stumbled across the fibre glass units and was impressed by design and weights. Haven't found much info about the trailer until we found your forum - so here goes - looking for information, comments about the Escape trailer,
are the weights as posted 1900 lbs, are they as good as they look, what's the ordering process.

I have been poking around your great forum and discovered lots of good info, but I wasn't able to get specific info about the Escape using the search.

Appreciate everyones effort.

Ian (aka Conuma)
Ian W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 08:15 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Ian Welcome to FiberglassRV, we're glad you found us! As you probably know Reace, the manufacturing owner of Escape is a member of this forum too. I only mention that, because I truly believe Reace is not about to stretch the truth when it comes to weights. I suppose you've checked out the Escape website: Escape Trailers. On top of that, I know one of our moderators, Chester Taje has ordered an Escape, Plan B...maybe he can weigh in on your particular question.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 08:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Hi Ian Welcome to FiberglassRV, we're glad you found us! As you probably know Reace, the manufacturing owner of Escape is a member of this forum too. I only mention that, because I truly believe Reace is not about to stretch the truth when it comes to weights. I suppose you've checked out the Escape website: Escape Trailers. On top of that, I know one of our moderators, Chester Taje has ordered an Escape, Plan B...maybe he can weigh in on your particular question.
Thanks for the quick reply - yes I have been to the website - very nice, lots of photos, looking forward all responses!

Ian
Old 09-08-2007, 08:35 PM   #4

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
How about THIS???

The owners of this rig tow their Escape with their Shay Replica, which is a fiberglass bodied Model A powered (in this case) with a 4 cylinder Pinto engine with an auto tranny!

They are from the lower mainland and attend camp-out rod run weekends on a regular basis.....
Attached Thumbnails
Shay_Replica.jpg  
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:50 AM   #5

Hi Ian and welcome

I have seen the Escape factory and seen a few units being built at various stages. My tow vehical also only tows 3500lbs. The Escape unit as built is around 1900lbs. Once you add a few options the weight could increase abit. When you load your trailer for traveling/camping it will weight a lot more.

I was really impressed as to how they looked and how they were being built. I have been around RVs for a long time and have had to date 4 FG units. At present I own a Trillium 2004 FG unit and come Nov 15 or in that time period I will have the Escape. All the units that I have had worked very well for me so I am very pleased with most FG units.

Reace will answer your inquiries if you ask him.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:25 AM   #6

Trailer: 19 ft Escape
Hi Ian

We have an 05 Escape floor plan B which we pull with a Toyoto Sienna, 3500 pound towing capacity. We have no problems pulling it but we did put on a weight distribution hitch which allows it to ride level. We brought it home from Aldergrove to Terrace and everyone was flashing their lights at us because our back end was low and they thought we had our hi beams on. While pulling the trailer we get around 7 km per litre, around town 10. We love this trailer and have been back to the factory several times to get several extras done. The team in Chilliwack is very accomodating and can do just about any custom work that you want. You won't go wrong with an Escape.
Ellen Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:48 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape ('Suite Escape')
Registry
Quote:
Hi Ian
We have an 05 Escape floor plan B which we pull with a Toyoto Sienna, 3500 pound towing capacity. We have no problems pulling it but we did put on a weight distribution hitch which allows it to ride level. We brought it home from Aldergrove to Terrace and everyone was flashing their lights at us because our back end was low and they thought we had our hi beams on. While pulling the trailer we get around 7 km per litre, around town 10. We love this trailer and have been back to the factory several times to get several extras done. The team in Chilliwack is very accomodating and can do just about any custom work that you want. You won't go wrong with an Escape.
Hi all,
I saw a new Escape early last spring, purchased by a couple from Eureka,CA, who towed it home with a Toyota Highlander. They reported noe towing problems at all. They graciously allowed me to inspect it. I was impressed with the quality of workmanship and attention to detail. Further, I was informed that the manufacturer was good to work with and they made several personalized modifications. IE: outside access to storage beneath large dinette. You can e-mail them and arrange to see a unit (which may or may not be close by). I intend to contact them soon and see what if anything they would have added, to make it even better. I also have become aware that American Sport trailer is making a unit that will be ready around the middle of October. They manufacture the Genesis. Since they are closer to me, I am waiting to see what they are producing before I make the big leap.

I would like to know the year of your Sienna, whether you have the factory tow package, and if you have air bags, air shocks, or a class II hitch w/1 1/4" receiver. Any information you could give me would be most welcome. Brian B-P also appears to be very knowledgeable re: towing
Sandra L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:45 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
Hello,

I've had my 17' Escape Plan B for just a little over a year now - and I tow it with a Honda Pilot (rated at 3500 pounds) with no problems at all. Haven't needed sway bars or weight distribution either.

I think it's a really nice little trailer - very well appointed and, yes, after years of tent camping, quite luxurious!! I have the hot water heater (wonderful to have hot water for a quick wash-up, dishes, etc) - but an external shower (great for hosing down dirty dogs).

The heater is going to start looking really good now that fall is arriving.

The fan and fridge are soooo nice.

I could go on-and-on but . . . . if you're ever near Portland and want to see one, let me know.

edited to add:
Ordering is really easy too. Just decide on what you want and any optional equipment and place the order with the factory. They can/will quickly answer any questions you have about the basic trailer and any options you're interested in. They've done the Canada/USA stuff a lot and can guide you through those bureaucratic hoops if that's a consideration. Send the down payment and before you know it, you'll be scheduling an owner's walkthrough with Reese and meeting with all the fine folks who built it for you.
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:52 PM   #9

Thanks for all the info - sounds like a pretty good rig - I'm trying to hook up with a local owner for a showing. Please keep sending any comments or suggestion.

Ian
Old 09-12-2007, 06:05 PM   #10

For any other people interested in seeing an Escape, Reace has a list of owners who are willing to show their units. Just email him for the names and locations. I know I'm on the list and willing to show my unit to interested parties.

We pull our Escape with a 2005 Toyota Sienna with the towing package, no other special equipment but we did put on a class 3 hitch with a 2 inch receiver.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:44 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
For any other people interested in seeing an Escape, Reace has a list of owners who are willing to show their units. Just email him for the names and locations. I know I'm on the list and willing to show my unit to interested parties.

We pull our Escape with a 2005 Toyota Sienna with the towing package, no other special equipment but we did put on a class 3 hitch with a 2 inch receiver.
Thank you Ellen for your information. Have you had any problems with "bottoming out" Did you use an equalizer hitch? If so is it in danger of dragging? The bottom of my 2005 Sienna is only 8" above the road surface.
Any help in this arena would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 09-16-2007, 01:30 PM   #12

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Hi Ian

We have an 05 Escape floor plan B which we pull with a Toyoto Sienna, 3500 pound towing capacity. We have no problems pulling it but we did put on a weight distribution hitch which allows it to ride level.
How did you put a WDH on a class II receiver (1.25in)? I'm told they only make WDH for class 3 (2in) receivers.
Laura K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 01:41 PM   #13

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Sandra,
Lots of information about towing with the Sienna at the link below.

http://www.siennaclub.org/forum/index.php?showforum=42

Tom Trostel
Old 09-16-2007, 11:30 PM   #14

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
How did you put a WDH on a class II receiver (1.25in)? I'm told they only make WDH for class 3 (2in) receivers.
As Ellen explained in this other post...
Quote:
...We pull our Escape with a 2005 Toyota Sienna with the towing package, no other special equipment but we did put on a class 3 hitch with a 2 inch receiver.
... the van has a 3500 lb towing capacity, but her hitch has a 2-inch receiver box (and it might really be rated for Class 3 loads, but the van isn't).

Almost everyone else with a Sienna - not me - has a 2" receiver, due to the greater availability of towing equipment, such as WD systems, which indeed are only commercially available for 2" receivers. Sienna owners, see the SiennaClub.org Towing forum (same link as Tom gave) for more Sienna-specific information... much of which would apply to other similar vehicles.

For the Sienna, about all you can find are 2" receivers; I realize that the situation for Laura's Forester is exactly the opposite. In the case of the Escape, WD would not likely be required with a 2004 or newer Sienna, although many people use WD with trailers of this weight.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Thank you Ellen for your information. Have you had any problems with "bottoming out" Did you use an equalizer hitch? If so is it in danger of dragging? The bottom of my 2005 Sienna is only 8" above the road surface.
Any help in this arena would be appreciated.
Thanks
The only time we bottomed out the hitch was crossing the Yukon River at Dawson City when we had to get on the ferry. No set landing, just a gravel ramp that they regrade every couple of days. Great fun!
Old 09-19-2007, 12:17 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
The only time we bottomed out the hitch was crossing the Yukon River at Dawson City when we had to get on the ferry. No set landing, just a gravel ramp that they regrade every couple of days. Great fun!
Thanks again to all who have responded.
Currently I am having a dialog with Reace. Obviously he too has lots of info. I am also checking out the Sienna forum.
Peace and sunshine,

Tags
escape