Exterior Fiberglass care - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2008, 08:23 AM   #1

Trailer: 17 ft Burro
Well I finally pulled my 17' '87 "Dance Hall' Burro out from under the canopy at my hunting camp to take it on it's maiden voyage this weekend. First she got a new set of tires as the dry rot had set in from a few years of being parked even tho they were new when the previous owner had parked it. Then it was off to the car wash bay to get all the red GA dust off of it. It was a quick foaming brush scrub followed by a rinse. After it dried it had that chalky, UV beaten, feel and look. It could use a really good scrub with a mildew remover to help get those spots off.

Any way, I was here yesterday gleaning all the knowledge from you folks experience, for which I must say a very warm "THANK YOU" for this site and your willingness to share your experience. So I read about the BAL Trailer Tire Leveler and went to the local Camping World to get it for $77+tax. While there I saw this product "Protect All FIBERGLASS Oxidation Remover & Color Restorer" but it was like $35 for a 32oz bottle. Here's a web link http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...rs/38-8937.htm

It looks/reads like the product I should be using to help put a protective coat back on the ole chalky Burro but that was a bit more than I wanted to spend, not knowing how far that bottle would go. Well, since I'm restoring this Burro and it's needs are mainly cosmetic I stopped in at the auto parts store for some High Heat paint to paint the stove top black, as the current look is of heavily tarnished with some pitted rust stainless steel. After a good cleaning with a fast spinning wire brush followed by a degreaser the stove top got a nice coat of Semi Glass Black paint. It looks a thousand times better now.

So while at the parts store, I inquire about a fiberglass cleaner/restorer and the nice lady points me to "Starbrite Instant Glass Coat" that reads the same as the other product, and best of all it was on Super Clearance markdown for $1.50 a bottle. I bought the last 3
Star Brite Instant Glass Cote

This will be a weekend project and I won't get to it for a few weeks, plus were still under 'drought' mode here in NW GA so home car/rv washing is banned, but yet i can PAY at the local car was argh . I just have to sneak off to a friends house in the country to give the ole Burro a good scrubbing then apply this coating.

Does anyone here have any experience with either of these products? AS well what or how do you maintain the exterior of your older fiberglass camper?

Thanks
Greg
GregLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:32 AM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Check this out
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...amp;hl=poliglow
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Hi Greg,

I researched the Vertglass/Poliglow stuff quite a bit and read the different posts on what to use to bring back my 81 13 Scamp. I settled on Meguiars #49 Marine RV Oxidation Remover/Cleaner and Meguiars #45 Marine RV high gloss polish.

In my research of the Vertglass/Poliglow type products they are in short terms, a Johnsons floor wax type polymer product, which does a terrific job but is subject to peeling. If it begins peeling it will be a big issue down the road. They are easier on an initial application then waxes/cleaners but subject to a possible bigger downside.

After now doing 3/4 of the old gel coat with the two Meguiars products I am very pleased with the results I'm obtaining and the elbow grease factor is very minimal. Once restored you probably only need to use the #45 once a year and there is no elbow grease factor to it, very simple.

Folks have had good results with both types of products, just need to match what fits your situation and you'll get good results either way.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:26 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I've been using Starbright on my 1988 Scamp and it looks pretty dang good. Maybe not as nice as brand new gel coat, but I'm pleased. Follow the instructions and use plenty of clean towels. Starbright is not only a wax, but it's a cleaner.

Be sure to take some good before and after pictures... we'd love to see them
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:06 PM   #5

Trailer: 17 ft Burro
Donna here's a post with some pics as it sat till this past Saturday.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...c=28255&hl=
GregLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 02:33 PM   #6

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Just to be different, I've just finished preparing my egg shell with Rexco Clean&Glaze, followed with 3M™ Marine Ultra Performance Paste Wax. I like the idea of not being committed to a specific "kit" or procedure, but have found that a restorer/cleaner alone doesn't protect the surface through the season. I'll let you know how I like it a year from now, but I expect it to last largely beyond the entire season.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:29 PM   #7

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
My understanding of the Poliglow/Vertglas products is that the coating they provide can be stripped relatively easy with acetone - something that's good to know if the product does peel. As I had mentioned in another thread I am going to be trying the Poliglow on my heavily oxidized 76 Trill and will post the results.
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 10:47 PM   #8

Trailer: 1970 Campster
Quote:
After it dried it had that chalky, UV beaten, feel and look. It could use a really good scrub with a mildew remover to help get those spots off.
I've been cleaning my 38 year old Campster with 29 Mule Team Borax. It has done a great job on the chalky look but there are dark spots in the fiberglass that I can't seem to scrub off. Does mildew penetrate the fiberglass? How can I get the surface color to look more continuous? It really has a mottled look in certain sections. . . especially on the front of the trailer above the window. Is there another product I can use that will help with this? I was planning on giving the trailer a good scrub with the borax and then applying the Poli-glow I purchased online. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Lisa H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:54 AM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I found this multi-year test of Poly Coat, VertGlas, and Micro Shield fiberglass restorers.

http://www.myboatstore.com/article.htm
Jay Moeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 05:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Does mildew penetrate the fiberglass? How can I get the surface color to look more continuous? It really has a mottled look in certain sections. . . especially on the front of the trailer above the window.
Fine pores start to appear on the gelcoat surface after all those years, and mildew likes to hide in them. I have used acetone in some areas, and bathroom cleaner with bleach (Fantastik, Hertel) in others with good success on our 34 year-old Trillium. Try in an unconspicuous spot first, and rinse thoroughly. The spot may end up so clean that you will end up doing over the entire trailer.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:42 PM   #11

Trailer: 1970 Campster
Quote:
Fine pores start to appear on the gelcoat surface after all those years, and mildew likes to hide in them. I have used acetone in some areas, and bathroom cleaner with bleach (Fantastik, Hertel) in others with good success on our 34 year-old Trillium. Try in an unconspicuous spot first, and rinse thoroughly. The spot may end up so clean that you will end up doing over the entire trailer.
I'm all for bleaching the entire trailer! After all, I don't want my little trailer to be discriminated against because it looks old! I'm game for doing whatever it will take to get it back to looking like the original beauty it was.
Lisa H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:53 PM   #12

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Registry
Thumbs up

Bleach? Really? My Trillium (1981) is definately 'colonial' colored - when I need a spare light or plastic part that's the color I get to match the outside. Does it turn it really white or a shade whiter/ Any pitting or streaking? I parked next to my friend's 2001 Casita a couple of weeks ago at a dog trial and was startled at the difference in 'whites' . Helen
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:15 PM   #13

The cleaner I used wasn't pure bleach, but it had some bleaching agent in it. I used it in a couple problematic areas with good results. My shell has the original gelcoat, though. Can't say anything about painted surfaces. At any rate you should obviously conduct your own experiments at your own risk and not take my word for it.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:45 AM   #14

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Greg: I have used "Protect All FIBERGLASS Oxidation Remover & Color Restorer" for 14 years on my prior gel gloss coated trailer. I used it when oxidation appeared on the gel gloss. I applied it with a "palm buffer" (that is the size, as it fits in your palm) bought at Wal-Mart for $15.00. The buffer pad size is 5 or 6". It is a one hand, easy to control buffer. The use of the oxidation remover resulted in excellent, smooth and glossy gel coat. BE AWARE, this stuff is in fact a mild rubbing compound. Over time (14 years) I noticed a few small areas that displayed minimal thicknesses of gel gloss and a faint sign of the grayish backing surface. I would not use the product regularly, but only when you have oxidation that polish will not remove/restore the surface. Lastly, the product does contain a wax and I never followed up with a coat of wax. It is good stuff!
Larry Lecuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:30 PM   #15

Name: kevin
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Colorado
Poliglow/vertglas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booker B. View Post
My understanding of the Poliglow/Vertglas products is that the coating they provide can be stripped relatively easy with acetone - something that's good to know if the product does peel. As I had mentioned in another thread I am going to be trying the Poliglow on my heavily oxidized 76 Trill and will post the results.
According to some folks on a boating site. 4 year old baked on poliglow would NOT come off with acetone, MEK, or anything else and ended up being sanded off. not so good.
KevinScamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:28 PM   #16

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Talking Stripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinScamps View Post
According to some folks on a boating site. 4 year old baked on poliglow would NOT come off with acetone, MEK, or anything else and ended up being sanded off. not so good.
I believe they sell a stripper and that anything with ammonia will take it off. I have had a couple of small spots where it popped off, I assume because I didn't do a good enough job cleaning the original wax off.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:14 PM   #17

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
I dont want mine to come off
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote