Exterior Finish - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2010, 11:15 AM   #1

Trailer: 17 ft Burro
We own a 1987 Burro (White). The exterior of the Burro is basically ok, but I wonder if there should be some type of finish on top of the fiberglass? Wax, Gel Gloss, etc. ? Any ideas on this topic? Thanks
Landy Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:42 AM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Hi Landy,

Assuming your Burro has the original exterior finish, it would be gelcoat. This is a type of polyester resin that is sprayed into the mold when the trailer is built.

In a nutshell, if it is still glossy, you can simply wash and wax it (look for a good quality wax* that contains UV inhibitors, as UV will damage the gelcoat). If it is slightly to very chalky and dull, you can "compound" or wet sand to slough off the oxidized gelcoat and get down to fresh gelcoat (within limits as the gelcoat is not very thick).

If your Burro has been painted, then it would depend on the type of paint, as to how you would maintain it.

Until we know more specifics, this is an overview.

Raya

*I like Collinite 885 or 3M's paste wax.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:44 AM   #3

Trailer: 1986 Scamp 13 ft
I recently researched and asked the same question. In my case I had an '86 Scamp. I am sure you will get many responses. I chose based on all the posts I read, to wet sand starting with 400 grit and going through 1500. I then washed and used a Meguires marine fiberglass compound and a marine wax. In southern New Mexico the shine is lasting well, I will re wax and buff once or twice a year and I'm pleased. You won't mistake it for new but it has plenty of shine. There are many "1 coat" finishes out there but after this I am convinced there is no substitute for elbow grease and following all the steps. Just my thought

Thanks also to all who had posted earlier and answered all my questions.

Greg
Greg G. is offline   Reply With Quote