Exterior hardware corroding ?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2013, 12:47 PM   #1

Name: todd
Trailer: Casita liberty deluxe 17
New York
Exterior hardware corroding ??

Hi,

I have a new SCamp 13 picked up this fall, the exterior door hinges, stay open latch and the gravel door latches are corroding, I know they use low end materials but having that happen sitting for what two months is a tad agrivating. HAs any one else seen this happen to their RV.
tmaken2157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaken2157 View Post
Hi,

I have a new SCamp 13 picked up this fall, the exterior door hinges, stay open latch and the gravel door latches are corroding, I know they use low end materials but having that happen sitting for what two months is a tad agrivating. HAs any one else seen this happen to their RV.
Pictures?
Old 11-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Did you wax your trailer and its small bits and pieces since you recieved it? If not I suggest you do as soon as possible before things get worse.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:39 PM   #4

New York
I guess that might help....we have since purchased another trailer, the rpod, the scamp came to 11349 before taxes and the 2014 rpod was sold for 12,500,

SCamp,
1940 technology, little or no thought to layout, cheep parts questionable craftmenship. It does have a cuteness factor and I get 2 miles a gallon better milage.

Rpod
I couldn't resist, bathroom with shower, furnace, hot water heater electric pumps electric brakes, queen size full time bed, thermostated air conditioner, larger refrigerator with freezer, fantastic fan, great storage, 14 inch custom wheels, did I mention blue tooth radio,cd,dvd, colr tv with hd antenae, microwave, gray black and fresh water tanks with level indicators.
Attached Thumbnails
2013-11-11 07.06.59.jpg  
Old 11-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
I guess that might help....we have since purchased another trailer, the rpod, the scamp came to 11349 before taxes and the 2014 rpod was sold for 12,500,

SCamp,
1940 technology, little or no thought to layout, cheep parts questionable craftmenship. It does have a cuteness factor and I get 2 miles a gallon better milage.

Rpod
I couldn't resist, bathroom with shower, furnace, hot water heater electric pumps electric brakes, queen size full time bed, thermostated air conditioner, larger refrigerator with freezer, fantastic fan, great storage, 14 inch custom wheels, did I mention blue tooth radio,cd,dvd, colr tv with hd antenae, microwave, gray black and fresh water tanks with level indicators.

From looking at R-Pods and reading what people have said about them I wish good luck. When it falls apart a Scamp will be waiting for you.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:00 PM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
aluminum or cast aluminum which I think the door hinges are made of will react with the air to form a coating that actually keeps it from further degeneration. It will get grayish looking patina unless anodized. When we all polish our belly bands and get that black on the rag that is that coating, Then months later we do it again. Now the nuts/bolts are not stainless so unless you replace them with such, they will rust
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Did you ever have the scamp water tank condensation that goes years back in the archives? Does your tank sit right on the wood floor for the water to soak in or does the tank sit on some material being a new one, thanks.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:01 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Todd, you are on the wrong forum to bad mouth any all molded towable. I mean really.... My Scamp is a 1988 and I couldn't be happier. And yes, I know it's short comings...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:44 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
aluminum or cast aluminum which I think the door hinges are made of will react with the air to form a coating that actually keeps it from further degeneration. It will get grayish looking patina unless anodized. When we all polish our belly bands and get that black on the rag that is that coating, Then months later we do it again. Now the nuts/bolts are not stainless so unless you replace them with such, they will rust
One can always take parts to a plating shop to have them anodized; a few small parts can always fit in with a larger batch next time a run of a particular color (including clear anodizing) is scheduled for very little $. Much cheaper than if you're in a hurry and need your few parts back ASAP.

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:12 AM   #10

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
11k+ for the phone booth on wheels; 12.5 for the fully loaded thin can--hmmm. If I had all that change in a pile on the dresser, I'd be having thoughts of Escape.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:55 PM   #11

New York
i know

Hey, just looking for some advice. I drove 2900 miles and paid 11400 and can point out flaws whenever i want. I respect you folks but scamp is low end there is no arguement. I wish th e escape was in my driveway but its not. Have a good day.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #12

Aluminum naturally corrodes. Believe it or not, that's one of its good features. It's not stainless steel and when polished will try to revert back to the corrosion state. You can polish it and skin it to prevent the corrosion... it's a heavy wax. Hot Rodders often use Flitz or Perfect Polish products. What you're describing isn't a Scamp problem. Even high-end Airstreams suffer corrusion unless polished and sealed.

I won't argue your statement about Scamp being low end. It is when compared to the prices, etc. of other all molded towables. Scamp is building a travel trailer about as inexpensively as possible, which opens the ability to purchase to many. But I can promise you, you will find more of these low-end trailers on the road when they're considered "old," than you will of nearly any sticky of the same age.

Let me tell you about the horrible roof leak my brother's $40,000 5th wheel suffered when it was less than a year old... not caused from damage either....
Old 11-27-2013, 11:07 AM   #13

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We looked at and did a lot of research on R Pods . Like most stick built trailers the major problems with the R Pod did not show up immediately but 4 to 5 years down the road they magically appeared (Read the Forest River owners website) The 1999 Scamp we eventually bought was somewhat spartan when compared to the R Pod but it worked for us, had relatively low maintenance and NO leaks . To each their own but I see no reason to tear down someone or something to convince someone that you have the superior product. I believe my Casita is better for us than an R Pod and if I am alive 20 years from now, God willing I believe my Casita will still be functional.
I wish you great success with your R Pod and hope you find some lucky owner for your Scamp
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:39 PM   #14

New York
That we will keep the scamper which is why I'm annoyed that the chrome is so
Cheap. Hey i like volkswagons. It was my first car

So anyway happy holidays everyone.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:03 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
That we will keep the scamper which is why I'm annoyed that the chrome is so Cheap

What chrome? There is no chrome on a Scamp, the silver stuff is aluminum.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:17 PM   #16

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Pretty much anything one buys is a trade off. If nothing else "perfect" trades off a bunch of your money.

The corrosion on aluminum does protect it from oxidizing away. Which is what iron does as rust. One can as Donna pointed out get polish/wax that will coat the metal if it suits you. I use one that leaves a silicon film for the belly band but windows and hinges are pretty much naked.

37 years later the aluminum is still fine, probably looks the same as it did a year after it was new.

Glad you found something that suits you and your desires, good to remember that FG campers are what 99.9 percent of the people here find meets their desires, a lot of those members choose a scamp. Little point in telling them they picked a lousy product just because it's not the product that suits you.

Whole lot of people love dogs of a breed that I would never get. Do you think they care why I don't want that breed?
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:09 AM   #17

New York
A note to all participants in this thread

Please allow me ask to rephrase the question and try to ignore the fact I have two trailers in my driveway for the time being and I asked about corroding hardware, not the cabin door hinges. As stated the door hold open latch and the window gravel guard assembly have ugly things happening to the metal. What other scamp owners have had the same problem with relatively new units?

Have older units experienced the same issue which may indicate a change in materials used for the job?

I apologize for "bad mouthing " the lil Scamper, I am not trying to insult anyone, like it or not I am a Scamp owner too.

I'll leave those comments for another post. Look for it, it should be fun.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:21 PM   #18

New York
As requested, some pictures

As requested, some pictures. The door handle is fine but the door hook and receiver are not as are the gravel shield retaining gizmoes.
Attached Thumbnails
2013-11-30 12.46.07.jpg   2013-11-30 12.46.35.jpg  

2013-11-30 12.46.22.jpg  
Old 11-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #19

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Have you given any thought to cleaning & polishing the metal and applying several coats of clear coat to stop the oxidation
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:50 PM   #20

I purchased an aftermarket gravel guard for my Scamp and the hardware too. The hardware is mild steel... it's gonna rust! So, before I mounted the hardware, I sprayed it with (GASP) silicone shoe wax. It's been on the trailer now in the Pacific NorthWET for about 7 years. It's time to replace the snap hooks, this time I think I'll buy small aluminum carabiners. They don't have to be weight-bearings, so 'elcheapo ones should work just fine. And if they last seven years, I'll be happy.