Extra things - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-01-2002, 09:55 AM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Don't leave home without it

This stuff is permanent unless you remove it. Double sided for sticking things together. Use in place of rivets or screws. Home Despot and Lowe's sell it in small rolls.

I had to move my cell phone antenna from the rear window to the windshield when I installed the okie box. Holds like a charm. I'm installing a wind baffle on the water heater door using VHB tape to attach.

3M VHB Tape.

Old 12-01-2002, 02:28 PM   #16

Extra parts to have

Charles, where did you find the cable cover? Ours broke several months ago, just need to replace it.

Old 12-01-2002, 03:02 PM   #17

Fuses!!

Fuses for the battery! Learned that lesson the hard way...but I am learning!

And this came with the trailer when I bought it used. An extra black/grey water tank dump valve handle.
Old 12-01-2002, 04:54 PM   #18

Hi guys

Hi Whitfields!

Hey, older Casitas (and my first two) came with a chained stainless steel F-cable terminator cap on the cable tv connection... which you can get at any Radio Shack (cap, that is. No chain, but the chain rubbed the trailer anyway!).

Newer Casitas (which I and you have) come with a large rubber o-ringed and cap dealie that covers the plastic tv cable housing. My first one blew off enroute somewhere. So I purchased two from Casita ... only source I know for these is Casita (which is where I bought mine!).

Hi Jean!

Good tip on spare fuses. I carry some of those too!
Old 12-01-2002, 11:04 PM   #19

Spare parts and stuff

Hi Charles

items that we carry along with us that haven't been mentioned:
Spare bulbs ( stop light , running , exterior and interior )
Tube of electrical grease
s.s. hose clamps ( water line and larger ones for PVC pipe )
In line water shut off valve ( the kind you can splice into the line )
Extra 20amp to 30 amp adapter
All manuals with phone numbers for equipment

Really haven't had to uses many items in the year and half that we have had the our little casita. A little WB grease, lots of wax and air in the tires and your good to go but, nice to know if something breaks you have a shot at fixing it.
Old 12-02-2002, 06:44 AM   #20

Hi Larry!

Good extra stuff to carry Larry! Forgot about the hose clamps, assorted sizes! Say hi to Sherrin!
Old 12-02-2002, 10:07 AM   #21

Minimalism

My philosophy: travel light. That covers food, clothing, tools, spare parts, and everything else.

I am new as a Casita owner, but I've done lots of traveling with tents and other trailers, and I never carry spare parts. All I've ever needed are a few basic tools: pliers, screwdrivers, crescent wrenches, air compressor, duct tape and WD-40. Even those stay home for short trips. Anything else can be purchased at the nearest hardware store. I'm seldom all that far from a store, and when I am, I'll take my chances.

This would not work for Charles or the full-timers, but it works for me. Yes, I have wished I had a something-or-other along, but we've always been able to improvise.
Old 12-02-2002, 10:42 AM   #22

Don't forget...

... your No.2 Square Screwdriver! You'll need one if you ever need to remove one of the benches in your Casita (to get to the waterpump or water heater compartments. I realize there are access doors, but when I had to replace my cracked check valve, there wasn't enough room to work - I had to remove the whole entire bench!)
Old 12-02-2002, 10:59 AM   #23

No.2 Square Screwdriver

Excellent point, Mary! Doesn't do much good to have the parts if you can't get to whatever it is that you need to repair. ;) I have the one for the electric drill, but not the regular type. A must-get for today! Thanks.

I'm sure that it has been mentioned and I overlooked it, but I won't leave home without the rivet gun and rivets.
Old 12-02-2002, 11:23 AM   #24

>>I'm sure that it has been mentioned and I overlooked it, but I won't leave home without the rivet gun and rivets.

Shoot! I don't even own one of those contraptions!
Old 12-02-2002, 08:44 PM   #25

Now I'm fixed!

Okay, I went and got me a six-way screwdriver to replace my four way. I now have a #1 and #2 square head screwdriver. Thanks, Mary, I'd have been mighty upset if I was off somewhere and reached for my electric drill that wasn't there with the square heads.
Old 12-03-2002, 02:38 PM   #26

Ahhhh, that's one really nice thing about Full-Timing -- You are never "off somewhere", you are always home and all your tools are right there with you!

Pete and Rat

Never leave Home without It!
Old 01-07-2003, 05:47 PM   #27

I'm learning!

I know this is an old thread, but thought I'd chime in with something I just learned...

When I got home from picking up my Casita I stowed it in the back yard, but not before disconnecting the sway bar for maneuverability. BUT... i guess I must have put the retainer clips for the bar on the trailer tongue and they must have fallen off into the grass, because they were nowhere to be found when I finished parking the Casita. Moral: never put stuff on the tongue while you are futzing around moving the trailer. That night we got eight inches of snow so I will have to wait 'til spring to find them...if then. Anybody know what size those clips are???
Old 01-08-2003, 06:42 AM   #28

Lost pins

Robert, I regularly lose the pins also!

I just take the sway bar to the hardware store and "try before I buy" to find the right size pins. Then I purchase extras.

Don't know the exact size, but they are about this big (indicating size with thumb and forefinger).