Fair price for 13' Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2008, 05:07 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thumbs up

I would like to know what a fair purchace price is for a 1991 13' Scamp. It has an awning, air (not mounted to top), working appliances, and no bathroom. Overall the unit looks great. It does have a crack in the roof vent and the pump to the sink is broken. I could use any input to help in the negotiation process. Thanks!
Bruce M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 05:14 AM   #2

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
I would like to know what a fair purchace price is for a 1991 13' Scamp. It has an awning, air (not mounted to top), working appliances, and no bathroom. Overall the unit looks great. It does have a crack in the roof vent and the pump to the sink is broken. I could use any input to help in the negotiation process. Thanks!
Bruce, the best way to determine the value is to check comps. eBay, our "for sale" section, Craigslist and others have lots of them for sale right now. Those sources should give you a pretty good idea what they're selling for. Other factors are how close it is to you, and how well it's been maintained. It may be worth a little more to you to buy one that you don't have to travel a thousand miles for.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:27 AM   #3

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Bruce if you could post the asking price and any addl information or photos about the condition and features we could probably give you some more targeted responses as to whether the price is high-low-runandgetit.

Have you used the buyers checklist to evaluate it?
Buyers Check List
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:32 AM   #4

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500 Deluxe
Hi Bruce,
I owned 3 Trillium's last year and sold them on Ebay. I just bought a 1974 13 foot Scamp. My point is I have a fairly good idea what a fair price would be. The vent is'nt a big deal. If you buy it, invest in a "Fantastic Fan Vent" this will take care of the warmest conditions, even in Florida for about $150 to $250. Or just replace with another vent for under $50. The sink pump, no big deal either. You can pick these up for $25 to $35 easily. That all set, a 1985 13 foot Scamp just sold for $3,770 on Ebay with no repairs needed. I would say if you can get it for $2,500 to $3,000 that would be a good deal. Any less would be a steal of a deal! Let me know what happens. Thanks!
Dave
"The Trillium King"
Dave Baston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:43 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Bruce if you could post the asking price and any addl information or photos about the condition and features we could probably give you some more targeted responses as to whether the price is high-low-runandgetit.

Have you used the buyers checklist to evaluate it?
Buyers Check List

The owner is asking $6000. I do not have any photos. The condition is good except for the two items listed in my original posting. The unit has stove top and 3 way refrigerator, 12 volt battery system (battery dead) and bunk bed. Thanks for the input.
Bruce M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:50 AM   #6

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Without actually seeing the trailer and doing a good examination, it is almost impossible to give you an accurate idea of it's value.

As Rog mentioned, all factors should be considered, including location. With gas these days, traveling could add a good 1000 bones or more to the "purchase" price for a perfect trailer, where one next door may need 500 worth of work to get it to the same condition. A few repairs needed could add a big discount to overall cost, where perfect could add a LOT in logistics costs.

The checklist is the most valuable tool we have. If new to these rigs, it has stuff on it that folks often overlook, beyond the obvious that could be some major repair money... once you get past the "It looks good, nice carpet and curtains" stage. I have used it several times and ruled out a few rigs based on the "method" for checking.. it takes the rose colored glasses off.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:03 AM   #7

Quote:
The owner is asking $6000. I do not have any photos. The condition is good except for the two items listed in my original posting. The unit has stove top and 3 way refrigerator, 12 volt battery system (battery dead) and bunk bed. Thanks for the input.
Bruce,
I goofed on pricing. The one in question is a 1991. A battery cost about $70 to $85, again not a big deal. With that said, again they are asking $6,000. That is a bit high, not crazy high. I would offer $4,600 to $4,850 for your starting offer and see what the seller says. May $5,200 to 5,500 max. for a counter offer.
If they are firm on $6,000, then I would pass on it. If I can help in any other way let me know.
Still let me know what happens.
Dave
"The Trillium King"
Old 04-21-2008, 09:51 AM   #8

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Without actually inspecting it, like Gina mentions it would be tough to give you a final price.
Just personally, I wouldn't pay anywhere near $6k for a 91 unless it was totally tricked out with a new axle, tires, brakes, refrigerator, cushion covers,LED lighting, etc. and ready to go camping without doing a thing.
I'd say this one without looking at it should fall in the 3-4k range. There have been a number of FL 13 Scamps listed in the 3-4K range over the last few months.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Without actually inspecting it, like Gina mentions it would be tough to give you a final price.
Just personally, I wouldn't pay anywhere near $6k for a 91 unless it was totally tricked out with a new axle, tires, brakes, refrigerator, cushion covers,LED lighting, etc. and ready to go camping without doing a thing.
I'd say this one without looking at it should fall in the 3-4k range. There have been a number of FL 13 Scamps listed in the 3-4K range over the last few months.
Greg,
A 1993 sold for almost $8,000 just recently. So a 1991 at $6,000 is a bit high like I said above. But not crazy high like that lady who wanted $15,000 for a 17 foot Boler. The 1974 Scamp I just bought was only $375.00 Body, Frame, Floor are all in very good condition the inside was used as a tool shed. nothing to difficult to clean up and sell though. And the 1985 scamp that sold for $3,770 on ebay pretty nice. So that said, $4,000 to $4,500 is more realistic of a price to get this trailer that Bruce is looking at. Like I said too, If they are firm on $6,000, then say BYE,BYE!!!!
They will find another diamond in the rough out there.
Dave
"The Trillium King"
Old 04-21-2008, 12:33 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
One comment about the vent -- Scamp roof vent is rectangular, not standard square, because it is also an emergency exit. So, an after-market power vent won't fit without making the hole in the roof smaller....

A new vent lid from Scamp comes without the hardware, so it has to be stripped off the old lid (tightly siliconed on!), assembled and resealed. Makes more sense to just get the complete hatch assembly from Scamp, rip out the old one, install and seal a new one.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp