Family Friendly Floor Plans - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-20-2006, 11:46 AM   #15

Name: Michael
Trailer: Amerigo & Trailmanor (popupish)
Indiana
The chief advantage of going small is the "compact and efficient" angle.

The chief advantage of going to the 16/17 footers is that you can get a perminant bed, 2 person dinnette AND a bathroom/privacy room. (You have to pick 2 out of 3 with a 13-footer, barring some very clever modification which removed 60% of your storage)

It really comes down to how you end up treating the trailer. If you view it as a tent-on-wheels, then the 13-footer is gonna look pretty great and the bigger ones will look like overkill. If you end up thinking of it as a cabin-on-wheels - then the bigger ones will appeal more.

mkw

Old 03-20-2006, 02:24 PM   #16

Name: Thane
Trailer: Escape
Escape Trailer Industries has started the design work on a fiberglass fifth wheel trailer. Here is the forum link New Escape Fifth Wheel

If you have any ideas to help design this new trailer line I am sure they would like to hear from you.

I appreciate the inputs to this forum, I am confident that that it is going to help families get on the road.

Old 03-30-2006, 05:39 PM   #17

Trailer: 2006 Trillium Outback
Has anyone had experience with one of the new Trillium Outbacks and how they compare to Scamps? We are a family of four (2 boys age 8 and 10) considering purchasing a Trillium and are limited on the weight we can pull. We like the idea of a Trillium because it sounds like it is a little taller (we are a tall family!), but have been told that the top bunk has only been tested to hold someone up to 98 pounds. Does anyone know how the Scamps compare? I am concerned we could grow out of this trailer in a few short years!
Old 03-30-2006, 05:41 PM   #18

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
You probably will outgrow any bunkbed arrangements in a couple of years...but even that lasts a short time because the kids will probably want to sleep outside in a tent (in their own space) before long after that.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 02:36 PM   #19

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
We are a family of four (2 boys age 8 and 10) ... have been told that the top bunk has only been tested to hold someone up to 98 pounds. Does anyone know how the Scamps compare?
Our kids will be 10 & 8 for this camping season and they are planning on using the bunks in our Scamp. Our son (older) does stick to the bottom bunk and our daughter does fine on the top bunk.

When we purchased our Scamp from the factory, Wayne our sales guy said he felt full grown adults could sleep on the top bunk without any fear of breaking it. The only problem would be size (width).
Old 04-06-2006, 01:37 PM   #20

Trailer: 1998 Scamp
We love our 98 Scamp. It has the bunks in front, the 13-year-old boy is in the bottom and the 10-year-old girl gets the top. I agree with the earlier post, I think the top bunk will hold more than the stated 80 lbs. If not, we will reinforce it. Storage is a problem; personal space is less of a problem. A few weeks ago I fell to the Syrians song of a larger bathroom in a newer Casita. I rushed to buy the Casita even though I know it would sleep only three in beds. I was a fool! Have you ever told a kid they will be sleeping on the floor of a trailer for two weeks on vacation while getting stepped on several times when her/his parents get up to go to the bathroom each night? It was not a pretty scene… Needless to say, I now have a 03 16-foot Casita in great condition for sale…
In a nutshell, my advice for a family new to small trailers would be, respect others personal space, keep you stuff picked up and in you space, have a bed for each person.

We pull ours with a Dodge Ram 1500 and get 15 mpg. So, on a trip to Austin – the best place in the world – we spend $50 extra on gas to tow the Scamp round trip. We stay at the Pecan Grove RV Park on Barton Springs Drive for …. I’m not sure I should say…. Ten bucks a night! That’s right ten bucks! Water and power with a nice shower house. We can run on the Town Lake Trail and walk to Barton Springs to swim. Paradise! Lots of great restaurants within a few minutes walk.

If I could give one reason to take your family camping it would be, College. If your kid is in the seventh grade, he’ll be off at school in a short 5 years. We don’t have them long. At some point they may not really want to hang out with you. Do it now. Make the memories, they’ll thank you later.

Sandy
North Texas
Old 04-07-2006, 09:36 AM   #21

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
If I could give one reason to take your family camping it would be, College. If your kid is in the seventh grade, he’ll be off at school in a short 5 years. We don’t have them long. At some point they may not really want to hang out with you. Do it now. Make the memories, they’ll thank you later.

Sandy
North Texas
Oh Sandy, you've got this soooo right. Make memories, lots and lots of memories. When a person gets older they can relive the moment from what is remembered. As a wonderful book I've read says:

And, what do you want your children to remember you for??
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 09:44 AM   #22

Name: Michael
Trailer: Amerigo & Trailmanor (popupish)
Indiana
Quote:
A few weeks ago I fell to the Syrians song of a larger bathroom in a newer Casita. I rushed to buy the Casita even though I know it would sleep only three in beds. I was a fool! Have you ever told a kid they will be sleeping on the floor of a trailer for two weeks on vacation while getting stepped on several times when her/his parents get up to go to the bathroom each night? It was not a pretty scene… Needless to say, I now have a 03 16-foot Casita in great condition for sale…
Can I assume it's a Spirit Dlx???

If so - have you considered building some sort of bunk over the side dinette? Probably harder than it's worth to make it easily drop - but there's the rear dinette for 4 anyway. Might let you keep your newer trailer that way.

Mike
Old 04-07-2006, 06:36 PM   #23

Here is a pic showing the optional bunk in a Casita Spirit

Name:   post_2_1061002177.jpg
Views: 1080
Size:  13.7 KB
Old 04-11-2006, 03:45 PM   #24

Trailer: 1998 Scamp
I've thought about adding a bunk. Anyone have a plan?

Old 04-11-2006, 11:29 PM   #25

The bottom of this link shows a home made bunk in a Spirit.

http://www.casitaclub.com/forums/index.php...126&hl=bunk+bed
Old 04-27-2006, 12:52 PM   #26

Trailer: Surfside TM14 1978
Call Can-Am RV in London Ontario and ask why they are not handling them anymore. Can-Am has a really good reputation in South-Western Ontario for quality and the new Trillium apparently was not a good fit. Also ask Primo trailers in Ottawa. Just a thought. I think a new outfit is opening in California to distribute them there.

Adam
Old 05-17-2006, 10:26 PM   #27

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
look at the eriba troll just listed on ebay. it has 2 real beds and is certainly big enuf for a family if they do not want a bathroom.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:28 PM   #28

Name: Patrick
Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty (Sold 2011)/ Honda Odyssey
Arizona
Don't mean to hijack this thread but it reminded me of my ideal trailer for two.

13' footer with queen size bed and a toilet/shower!
Attached Thumbnails
Queen_Trailer.jpg  

Tags
floorplans