Family Friendly Floor Plans - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2013, 06:12 PM   #81

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Lil Snoozy and Escape 19' are two trailers that come to mind that have crosswise queen size beds.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:19 PM   #82

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
VERY helpful Donna, thanks!

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:25 PM   #83

Name: M
Trailer: Influx
Usa
Parkliner has a fantastic, versatile floor plan for family. The back is a queen bed 80X60, crosswise, and there is 72x24 extra long single bed (or two with bunk option) along the side. The trailer easily accommodates 4, and a 5th on the floor.

The bed in the back feels quite roomy. We have even all four (2 parents, tot, preschooler) slept in the back queen lengthwise, with tall 6'2" dad sleeping on the side of the bed connects to the single for the needed length.

The bunk it's very sturdy, and solid enough for adults. I would sleep in the top if I had to, but I admit to feeling claustrophobic in the bottom bunk, even though I'm petite myself.

ParkLiner Large Interior UltraLight
Mimi Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:30 PM   #84

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Lil Snoozy and Escape 19' are two trailers that come to mind that have crosswise queen size beds.
Two excellent examples:
  • The Escape 19' is substantially wider than most eggs, and thus is able to fit a queen-length bed crosswise.
  • The Lil Snoozy specs include an interior width of 6'6" (78") so it obviously can't have a bed 80" long across it; this is an example of a bed being described as a "full Queen bed" when it is obviously not, but perhaps just wider than a double (i.e. more than 54" wide).

Double-length but queen-width beds are so common in RVs (of various types and brands) that this is sometimes called "RV Queen" size... that's presumably the size of the Lil Snoozy bed, although actual dimensions are not on their web site (that I can find).

Also, beds are usually in an end or at least a corner of the trailer, so they are generally not quite rectangular, and the dimensions are usually the widest by longest measures - the corners are rounded off.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:35 AM   #85

New York
I do appreciate all the advice folks, but right now I think Layout 6 (with the front bath) in a 16' Scamp is about right for us. We're a ways off anyways, and plenty of time to look, but the bottom line is there are almost no used FGTT around here. They seem mostly to be in the west and south. The 16' Scamp though is a possibility for buying new. We'll see how the next few years go, as I plan on retiring in early 2016.

Don't mind me, I'm a compulsive planner!

Frank
Old 05-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #86

Name: odie
Trailer: coleman
Virginia
Scamp 13 bed sizes HELP

I had just ordered a new 13' Scamp with the 54" bed instead of the customary 44"(Scamp doesn't list size and I've seen posts of 41 to 44). I finally got to go inside a 2012 with the std bed (43 at widest point per my tape). After measuring it seemed I would have no counter space, little floor space or hardly any closet left with the bed extending another 10" or so. I called back and changed my order to the std bed.
Anyone have the 54" bed that could share some insight and hopefully pictures?
I emailed Scamp and suggested they add pictures of both beds or better yet floor plans with dimensions.
I really like the 13' Scamp and look forward to picking it up. I have had various campers and tents, but I think the Scamp will be the best of the lot for convenience, maintenance and weight.
odie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #87

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Burro 17WB rear bed is tranverse orientation, 56"x 84". Sort of a superlong full+. They don't make them anymore.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:39 PM   #88
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by odie View Post
I had just ordered a new 13' Scamp with the 54" bed instead of the customary 44"(Scamp doesn't list size and I've seen posts of 41 to 44). I finally got to go inside a 2012 with the std bed (43 at widest point per my tape). After measuring it seemed I would have no counter space, little floor space or hardly any closet left with the bed extending another 10" or so. I called back and changed my order to the std bed.
I emailed Scamp and suggested they add pictures of both beds or better yet floor plans with dimensions.
I really like the 13' Scamp and look forward to picking it up. I have had various campers and tents, but I think the Scamp will be the best of the lot for convenience, maintenance and weight.
Hello Odie and welcome. I believe the deluxe 13' Scamp has always had a 54" bed. On the web site there appears no difference that I can seen. Useful! I would suggest calling Scamp and see if they have a deluxe Scamp owner in your area so you can check it out. Good luck, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:55 PM   #89

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by odie View Post
I have an older 13' Deluxe Scamp (1990) and really enjoy it. We used to have a 1984 13' Standard model, but we out grew the bed. This one has much more storage than the Standard, but then again, neither had a shower/bath. You can see quite a number of pictures if you go to my profile pictures of mods.
Thanks,
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:41 PM   #90

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
When folks step inside their trailer and shut the door and get ready for sleep... I don't want to know what goes on

Some sleep toes to nose in sleeping bags. Typically men have wider shoulders, women wider hips and that sleeping arrangement seems to work well for those that sleep this way.

If you're not getting a bathroom, one sleeps in the bed and one sleeps on the gaucho. That works for others.

You'll figure out what works best for you and you don't have to tell us what it is!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:57 PM   #91

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
If bed size is important to you than you might look at some other options. Many of the newer teardrop trailers have very large beds. We looked at that option when we were looking. Ended up buying the Scamp 13'. The bed works for us and we like to be able to cook inside. (no bath either).

I looked a couple local made tear drop trailer last summer. I can tell you there's some pretty nice ones out there with nice size beds and doors on each side. Some the mattresses fold up to make a nice couch with little tables that either attach to inside sides or the door.

The biggest draw back in the need to cook outside. For use when in the southwest the winds could make cooking outside a bit of a problem. Rain, well there's covers for that, but wind.....

I would suggest looking around and thinking about what's important to you and how you plan on using your trailer.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #92

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Here's some raw shots of the Lil Snoozy

Backyard Photo Shoot

And the bed in particular

Stripped down Queen bed and windows
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #93

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
Here's some raw shots of the Lil Snoozy

Backyard Photo Shoot

And the bed in particular

Stripped down Queen bed and windows
Thanks for the photos Carl. The Lil Snoozy looks like a great trailer. I like the rear door thing very much, with the bed forward. From the outside they are somewhat deceptive looking too, which is sorta cool...

Frank
Old 05-25-2013, 08:08 PM   #94
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
There's an old thread called Bed Sizes that has lots of good info. Needs to be updated, though - Feel free to add your newer bed measurements, if you can/are so inclined. It's really helpful to be comprehensive about some things.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #95

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Went out and measured my mattress.
It's 60 inches wide and 76 inches long.
There is 2 inch gaps at both ends. So,
if need be a fella could hang some toes
down in the gap. lol.

There's a pretty good gap at the front side.
I didn't measure it. The wife stuffs a couple
extra pillows there at night.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:57 AM   #96

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
let's try to keep the responses to the subject of the thread, thank you.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:11 AM   #97

Name: Roger
Trailer: Nomad
Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane View Post
This forum topic is established to provide for discussion on family friendly floor plans. It is my hope that this forum will introduce families to the wonderful world of fiberglass trailers. As you are probably aware, the vast majority of fiberglass trailer owners are retired folks and couples. I believe that this a strong testament to the value and low ownership costs of these typically small trailers. We know that these trailers are not the best size for sitting inside with the kids and watching TV, but I think most folks want their camping experience to be an outdoor adventure, albeit with a warm and safe place to sleep and bathe.

I imagine that there are many families out there like mine, we want a trailer but don't know that Moms Soccer Van can pull a 16 or 17 foot trailer that has all the amenities of home. I propose that most of these families of 3 to 5 can't afford a new tow vehicle as well as trailer and that if more knew of the comfort available in these small fiberglass trailers, there would be more of the next generation of RV'rs on the road and enjoying the lifestyle and camaraderie that can be found in campgrounds through out the United States and Canada.

A good place to start this forum is with the below July 1999 Trailer Life Magazine article by Randy Scott that reviewed the combination of the Honda Odyssey LX and the Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe. To be honest, it never occurred to me that my wife's car, a Honda Odyssey EX, would be a suitable tow vehicle for this class of travel trailer. My assumptions were that I would have to use my Ford Explorer for family vacations in the years to come. The prospect of giving up the conveniences and ride quality of the Honda Odyssey limited my expectations of how long of a trip we could comfortably make with our four and five year old children. Although I will use my Ford for now, when extra money comes available I will be adding a tow capacity to the Honda.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_...907/ai_n8853304

I recently purchased an Escape Trailer, Floor Plan B, with the gaucho bunk option. I believe it is a great trailer for a small family with a mini-van. The front gaucho bunk retains the functionality of the front dinette and adds a 120 pound capacity overhead bunk bed. The front bunk bed area will be curtained off for separate sleeping quarters for the kids. The side mounted bathroom and shower is of adequate size for washing the kids. The exterior shower is an added bonus to wash the big pieces of crud of our little camp monkeys.

Error

The Casita is a popular trailer, and rightly so. Both the 16 and 17 foot Spirit can easily sleep 3 and the optional side couch/bunk can sleep 4. The side dinette is not available with the optional side couch/bunk and the upper bunk has an 80 pound capacity. The side mounted location of the bunk bed may complicate the screening of that section of the trailer. An exterior shower is available.

Casita Travel Trailers - Changes

The Casita Liberty is also a popular choice with two aft dinettes that convert into a double or king size bed. I prefer the bunk bed approach as my kids tend to thrash about a bit. An exterior shower is available.

Casita Travel Trailers - Changes

I have rented Casita 16 foot bunkhouse models and will add some pictures of one of these units soon. They have a rear dinette/double bed, a side dinette/single bed and a front mounted couch/bunk bed. They can sleep 5 but do not have a toilet or shower. This floor plan (as far as I can tell) in not discussed on the Casita website. I do not know if 17 foot bunkhouse models area available, but I don't see why not. The place I rented from has a 2005 unit so they must still be available. I do not know if an exterior shower is available. I do not know if a gray water tank is available. I will post pictures of this model Casita soon.

I don't have any first hand experience with Scamp trailers and am hoping someone will add a discussion of Scamp floorplans and bunk bed ratings. The factory website is provided below.

Scamp Trailers: Small Lightweight Campers, Easily Towable - Scamp Trailers
I like your style of writing. It's hard now days to find sombody that writes well. The term , camp monkeys made me laugh.
RV NUT CASE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:40 AM   #98

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thanks for the nice note.

It is now about 7 1/2 years later and the kids are much bigger and hungry all the time. We still love camping in the Escape and have all the room we need. I tend to sleep on the bottom bunk with the 8th grader on the top and the wife and 6th grader on the big bed. We use a 12V ice chest to store the massive quantities of vittles that the hairy one requires, it is usually outside the trailer but we bring it in at night or put it in the SUV if there are night creatures such as raccoons.

We now have a medium size dog (pit and lab mix) that sleeps under the big bed. I have a big box that carries all the outside gear for the picnic table and such so camp set up is easy. While I set up the trailer, the kids set up the table, lantern, dog chain and prepare the fire pit. We have no TV or radio and still spend most of our time outside.

The wife pre-cooks or prepares all meals at home so there is minimal cooking required. Mostly reheat via boiling water or the microwave. Backpacking freeze dried food and some military MREs are actually pretty good and fun for the kids to heat and eat. We have a single burner camp stove so they can heat their own meals.

We try to stay at sites with no hook ups as they tend to be more rustic and I prefer campgrounds that don't take reservations as they tend to have fewer people.

I am glad to see more families in fiberglass and there seems to be a trailer for every price range. If I had to do over, I would do the same thing.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:17 AM   #99

Name: Roger
Trailer: Nomad
Nevada
I like the fact that the kids stil will have somthing to do with you and you still take them out camping and you are still getting good use out of the trailer. Sounds like a lot of fun I am jealous .:}

I see so many stories of parents buying expensive boats or other toys for the kids and when they get about 12 or 14 they are done with parents and go do their own thing. They leave the nest and the parents put up the boat or trailer up for sale because they don't do anything anymore. How sad is that?

Good for you it sounds like you raised these kids right . Sounds like a blast!
RV NUT CASE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 04:19 PM   #100

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Sawyer View Post
Hi,

My husband and I are planning to purchase a casita soon and are not sure about which length would be the right size. I wondered if you wouldn't mind sharing your reason for perfering the 13 foot over the 16 foot. We love to camp am have been using a tent for 30 years. Now that we are retired and on the go even more we thought that we would enjoy a camper especially on those rainy days when it is definitely no fun setting up a tent!!!
Happy camping!!!
Hi diana

just a thought it is just me and the Mrs .

i like the 16 ' so we can have the bed set up and dinnite PLUS bath room

WHEN YOU GET OLD AND YOU HAVE TO GO I LIKE IT CLOSE
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floorplans