Family Friendly Floor Plans - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-14-2011, 06:01 PM   #71

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Just an observation - Bigfoot actually made a 24 footer (Only a very few made, in 2000 - called "Millennium Edition") that wasn't an "egg" - it was a "sort of a" sticky (didn't actually use stix - it was "fibercore" walls with roof and end seams) that had: A dinette that makes into a bed PLUS a couch that makes into a bed PLUS a double bed. All in a 24 footer! With enough closet & storage space for a family of 6 live in full time. Yet somehow they can't seem to do that in a 25 footer that is foot bigger! Leaves me wondering........

Old 07-15-2011, 09:09 AM   #72

Name: Keith
Trailer: 1973 Boler 1300 (gone) 1985 Bigfoot
Alberta
Dave - I am totally with you on this one. We have a 17' Bigfoot that sleeps the 5 of us fine, however 2 kids have to share a bed. We searched high and low and wide to find something that sleeps 6+ (preferably with bunkbeds or something for the kids) and came up empty handed. So we decided to do some renos to our Bigfoot and make it what we can in that size (because at least we don't need an F350 to pull it!).

Old 07-15-2011, 09:28 AM   #73

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I wonder if this is a market research thing? Assuming new larger molded fiberglass runs a bit more expensive than new larger stick built, is it possible that large-ish families tend towards the less expensive model? Obviously there are going to be exceptions but that's my guess.

What "family friendly" means of course varies with each family. Mine is 2 adult people, so having lots of storage space trump quantities of sleeping berths would be a dream, not a design flaw.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #74

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
Our family is small wife Carole and myself and two dogs. Our tailer works well having a washroom; do not want to go out to go in a campground, out house or local bush.
Have had tents and a tent trailer in the past when we where shopping for a new trailer Carole said "no more canvas".
Would like one change a larger bed at the back end (wider) just a couple of inches and upper bunk is just storage for us; but the family is growing
This summer we took a great niece with us camping just the right size.
Another time the kids with our new granddaughter plus the two dogs this was crowed; would have been fine without the dogs or if Tianna was a little older and could have used the bunk.
Over all would give the floor plan an A
Old 11-02-2012, 09:36 AM   #75

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
Thumbs up Floor plan, Weight and Price

Weight is a family friendly factor, needing a V8 to pull costs gas.
Price is also as stated a family friendly factor.
We looked at Taylor Coach very light well organized and a really light 16' model at the local RV center. But the price of the lighter trailers was more!
In the end we purchased the boler as it had both weight and price.

P.S. all had no canvas and a washroom are needed requirements to be mommy approved

May have not have mentioned this, boler has the cute factor.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:14 PM   #76

Name: Luis
Trailer: Boler 1300 79'
Alberta
Registry
My family plan

I am installing a 50" wide bed at the back, and in "L" shape, a bench on the street side so tha I can actually have 3 sleeping well. This suits my family situation, I either camp with my girlfriend, or with my two kids.

If the four of us are out there, well, then the kids get to set up a tent outside...

Cheers,
L
Old 05-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #77

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Queen size beds?

We're in the process of looking for a FGTT that would have a rear queen size bed (at least). What is out there that comes with such a set up? When I look at websites like Scamps, they do not say what size the beds are (single, twin, double, queen, etc) unless I'm missing something. It would be nice to have the queen size bed in the back, and then maybe a convertible dinette?

Any suggestions great appreciated. We hope to get out of our small sticky tin can TT next year! Thanks.

Frank
Old 05-20-2013, 02:36 PM   #78

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
When I look at websites like Scamps, they do not say what size the beds are (single, twin, double, queen, etc) unless I'm missing something.
Even if they list bed sizes in this way, don't believe them. Few RVs (of any type) follow industry standard definitions for sizes, so actual dimensions are much better.

Most eggs are only 80" wide at the widest point, and that's the length of a queen or king bed, so cross-wise beds in these trailers are never even close to actual queen or king length.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #79

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Even if they list bed sizes in this way, don't believe them. Few RVs (of any type) follow industry standard definitions for sizes, so actual dimensions are much better.

Most eggs are only 80" wide at the widest point, and that's the length of a queen or king bed, so cross-wise beds in these trailers are never even close to actual queen or king length.
And they're never placed lengthwise, so the width of the trailer is the width of the bed? It's confusing. The bed we have now in our Sunline T-1550 is too small for the two of us, and now we have a 13# dog that joins us. The wee lass has suggested anything we get have at least a queen. After doing some more research, it looks like the 16' Casita Liberty Deluxe can convert to a king size bed? That has to be lengthwise right, or is it even true? Scamp's Layout 6 in their 16' model looks like it might work...

It will be a year before we buy, so I just want to make sure of what it out there that will work!

Thanks!

Frank
Old 05-20-2013, 05:13 PM   #80

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
And they're never placed lengthwise, so the width of the trailer is the width of the bed?
No, some are lengthwise, which is why my statement was about crosswise beds.

The "king" beds (which may or may not be king sized) in small trailers are lengthwise, and even then they typically take the whole available width so you can't walk up the side - you get in and out of the bed only from one end. Casita's "Liberty" layout (in one-big-bed mode) is an example of the width-filling lengthwise "king" bed.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #81

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Lil Snoozy and Escape 19' are two trailers that come to mind that have crosswise queen size beds.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:19 PM   #82

New York
VERY helpful Donna, thanks!

Frank
Old 05-20-2013, 09:25 PM   #83

Name: Mimi
Trailer: Parkliner
Florida
Parkliner has a fantastic, versatile floor plan for family. The back is a queen bed 80X60, crosswise, and there is 72x24 extra long single bed (or two with bunk option) along the side. The trailer easily accommodates 4, and a 5th on the floor.

The bed in the back feels quite roomy. We have even all four (2 parents, tot, preschooler) slept in the back queen lengthwise, with tall 6'2" dad sleeping on the side of the bed connects to the single for the needed length.

The bunk it's very sturdy, and solid enough for adults. I would sleep in the top if I had to, but I admit to feeling claustrophobic in the bottom bunk, even though I'm petite myself.

ParkLiner Large Interior UltraLight
Old 05-21-2013, 12:30 AM   #84

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Lil Snoozy and Escape 19' are two trailers that come to mind that have crosswise queen size beds.
Two excellent examples:
  • The Escape 19' is substantially wider than most eggs, and thus is able to fit a queen-length bed crosswise.
  • The Lil Snoozy specs include an interior width of 6'6" (78") so it obviously can't have a bed 80" long across it; this is an example of a bed being described as a "full Queen bed" when it is obviously not, but perhaps just wider than a double (i.e. more than 54" wide).

Double-length but queen-width beds are so common in RVs (of various types and brands) that this is sometimes called "RV Queen" size... that's presumably the size of the Lil Snoozy bed, although actual dimensions are not on their web site (that I can find).

Also, beds are usually in an end or at least a corner of the trailer, so they are generally not quite rectangular, and the dimensions are usually the widest by longest measures - the corners are rounded off.

Tags
floorplans