Fear of God - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-04-2016, 05:32 PM   #1

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: Scamp
Tennessee
Fear of God

I purchased a 1971 Scamp earlier this year. The previous owner kept very good care of it. After reading daily posts on this forum, I have the fear of God in me about the safety of my egg. Donna posted photos of her smashed egg due to rusty frame bolts. I just read about repacking bearings and axle issues. I'd hate to think that my camping will be in the driveway. I'm afraid to tow it anywhere! I'd appreciate any advise on getting over this paranoia.

Old 08-04-2016, 05:37 PM   #2

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Yup, take it to a shop you trust and have them look it over to confirm its in as good as condition as you obviously thought it was when you purchased it.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:52 PM   #3

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by msfxit View Post
I purchased a 1971 Scamp earlier this year. The previous owner kept very good care of it. After reading daily posts on this forum, I have the fear of God in me about the safety of my egg. Donna posted photos of her smashed egg due to rusty frame bolts. I just read about repacking bearings and axle issues. I'd hate to think that my camping will be in the driveway. I'm afraid to tow it anywhere! I's appreciate any advise on getting over this paranoia.
The picture that Donna posted was not of here trailer, but a Trillium that has the shell held to frame with a few carriage bolts that rust out.

If were to read any of the forums about the automobile you drive you get more stuff that failed. You'd probably want to sell your tow vehicle.
Scamp has been in business for over 40 years that a lot of Scamp trailers out at 300 to 400 per year (maybe some years a few less, but still a lot Scamps) Casita almost as long with about the same number per year. Then there's all the other brands that had just few made. Odds are in your favor.

As Carol said find a good RV shop and have them inspect the trailer. I would just as a precaution have the wheel bearings repacked. The next is look for the 4 digit date code on the tires. If they over 5 or 6 years old replace them.

Now you've done all that hitch up and enjoy.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:53 PM   #4

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Donna posted photos of her smashed egg due to rusty frame bolts.
That wasn't my trailer. Byron, that wasn't a Trillium... it was a Casita.

If you don't judge your own skills to determine whether your trailer is safe to go down the road, then yes, doing as Carol suggested may give you peace of mind.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:01 PM   #5

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: Scamp
Tennessee
Thanks.

I will take it to an RV shop for them to inspect. I will also check the tires. I'm handy so I will repack the bearings. Thanks for all the advice. It's nice to know there are experienced egg campers out there.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:07 PM   #6

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Really, how many egg trailers have we heard of that came off their frames like that? Just that one? Or was there another that someone recalls? It's so rare!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:28 PM   #7

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
One should learn from the start to do Maintenance and if,

Quote:
I purchased a 1971 Scamp earlier this year. The previous owner kept very good care of it. After reading daily posts on this forum, I have the fear of God in me about the safety of my egg. Donna posted photos of her smashed egg due to rusty frame bolts. I just read about repacking bearings and axle issues. I'd hate to think that my camping will be in the driveway. I'm afraid to tow it anywhere! I'd appreciate any advise on getting over this paranoia.
:you do this on a regular schedule then you will never have problems, only takes a minute to check your frame, pull wheels and drums check to see condition of grease and if needs it then buy the tool that helps you do the work, it is not to expensive and if u do not know how learn how.
To check air in tires real easy to do. Go to your favorite garage and have them put a load test on your battery (they will usually do this free) if bad buy a new batter but make sure it is Deep Cel battery, if not plugged in then buy a 50A solar panel it will keep your battery charged, and if plugged in then u don't have to worry.
Want cooling and your roof has a vent hole in it they are usually 14" square then buy a new complete Vent called Fantastic Fan 3 speed with Forward/Reverse on is to remove hot air from the interior and the other is to bring cooler air in.
Make sure you check the air in your spare tire and that it is a decent spare.
Change lighting inside trailer to LED as save power where you can.
I know longer have a trailer but even when I did I kept my Propane Fridge on 24/7 so far no problems and I do not expect there will be any as I have my lines inspected every two years to make sure no leaks, I do this to keep my insulin cold and were usually out there from 3 weeks to 3 months any time of the year.
When camping and you get a heavy rain check anywhere there is a hole in the FG like windows, doors, vent, to make sure no water coming in as u really do not want mold.
This is the same as looking after your car or your apartment or house. Once u have done it a few times it will get easier.
Stude
Old 08-05-2016, 01:54 AM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Marilyn, your egg is fine. It's no different than keeping up on your cars maintenance, just a few different components that a car doesn't have. None of this RV thing is rocket science .
Old 08-05-2016, 06:48 PM   #9

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Yeah, it's trailer science! I couldn't resist that one.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:49 PM   #10

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
The "Fear of God" as used in scripture has a connotation better translated as "awe" or "respect". Certainly not terror.

It would be appropriate to apply that same connotation to your trailer.
As you gain knowledge of your trailer you will gain respect for it and you will learn what to expect from it. Then faith in the trailer will replace the fear.
Your trailer is actually incredibly reliable and safe to tow. In fact while almost everyone drives a car,most know almost NOTHING about how it works. They simply have faith in the manufacturer and the skills of those who are trained to maintain and repair them. The same is often true of travel trailers.

Of course all systems should be checked and kept in order.
You can allay your fears if you rely on a competent person to check your trailer for function and safety. Then, as you use the trailer and learn its systems, you can become that competent person yourself!

Worry might make you wake up in the middle of the night, but it is faith which can let you sleep well and awake in the morning with the courage to face another day.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:57 PM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: casita 17 SD
Pennsylvania
Faith? Gravity? Which god?

When I crawl under my Casita, I gaze up at the screws that stick down through the Casita's frame. They are lovely little screws and very sharp. They are the ones that hold the camper to the frame and I for one have great faith in the god of gravity because there is no way that any "expert" or "competent person" will ever be able to tell if each and every screw is sound one end to the other. If I owned a 1971 anything I would start drilling holes and putting stainless bolts up through the frame and floor.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:58 PM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
The "Fear of God" as used in scripture has a connotation better translated as "awe" or "respect". Certainly not terror.
Worry might make you wake up in the middle of the night, but it is faith which can let you sleep well and awake in the morning with the courage to face another day.
Well said Floyd
Old 08-05-2016, 09:07 PM   #13

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Marylin, where abouts in Tennessee are you? I'm in Middle Tennesse- 45 miles south of Nashville. I wouldnt mind looking at your trailer if you dont live too far away. You could PM me if you dont want to reveal your location publicly. I have an hour or two experience with Scamps. Floyd might not agree but he's not here to prove me wrong! Kidding. He's the one help get me "rolling" with this crazy addiction!

Quote:
Old 08-05-2016, 09:38 PM   #14

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Marylin, where abouts in Tennessee are you? I'm in Middle Tennesse- 45 miles south of Nashville. I wouldnt mind looking at your trailer if you dont live too far away. You could PM me if you dont want to reveal your location publicly. I have an hour or two experience with Scamps. Floyd might not agree but he's not here to prove me wrong! Kidding. He's the one help get me "rolling" with this crazy addiction!
Great offer! no one pays more attention to detail!