Feedback needed soon about about cleaning and waxing 1997 Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2016, 05:33 PM   #1

Name: Jeanne
Trailer: Desire a Scamp 13' Trailer
Washington
Smile Feedback needed soon about about cleaning and waxing 1997 Scamp

Feedback needed soon about about cleaning and waxing. Please share comments about what my friend has been researching. We got some wonderful information from friends who live in a warmer climate. Helpful details below*******************************************
Supplies at Lowes or Home Depot: BarKeepers Friend (liquid in a white bottle) to get rid of dirt and stains. May use a non-abrasive pad on difficult stains. After that is rinsed off well and the trailer is clean and dry, then apply multiple coats of Zep brand Wet Floor Polish. Let each coat dry, then apply about 3-4 more coats. No buffing is necessary. Clean as needed during the year and follow up with additional coats of Zep as needed. If he can keep it covered when not in use, that would be ideal.
My friend has been reading some things on the forum where they speak of Maguires RV wax

He has cleaned it with barkeepers and it is drying. But it is 50° where he lives now. Opinions between Zep floor wax and Maguires Quality RV and boat polish for the temperature he has to work with right now would be helpful. Please rush your reply,thank you. He wants to polish it in the next couple days. Thanks so very much
Jeanne W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 06:25 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
The high today in my area was 46 deg F . I waxed my trailer .
The wax took longer to dry but beyond that I had no issues
I find Maguiars #50 or Flagship marine wax work well
If I waited till it warmed up to wax then I would be waiting until next Spring.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:09 PM   #3

Washington
Thanks so much! Do you have a favorite between the two you mentioned?
Old 10-22-2016, 04:03 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
A few years back I washed my 79 Boler 1300 with TSP and with a little scrubbing got all road dirt off then I put on MAX 3 floor wax in a red container from Home Depot. By the time I got around the trailer, applied with just a rag, once it was ready for the second coat and again with a third coat.
This gave it a shine like new fiberglass and lasted all season.
I give it one more coat at the end and begining of each season after a TSP wash to get dirt off'
One warning, as with any wax do not do it when there is a chance of any water getting on trailer while wax is still wet it will run down windows and leave streaks down the walls that will need to be De-Waxed.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:44 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne W. View Post
He has cleaned it with barkeepers and it is drying. But it is 50° where he lives now. Opinions between Zep floor wax and Maguires Quality RV and boat polish for the temperature he has to work with right now would be helpful. Please rush your reply,thank you. He wants to polish it in the next couple days. Thanks so very much
Best to read the labels regarding best temperatures for applying regardless of which products they are using.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 09:47 AM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Floor polish is for floors.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:09 AM   #7

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Is there any other way to get that high gloss new shine back (trailer only 4 yrs old) without using a floor wax?

Melissa
Old 10-22-2016, 10:20 AM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Is there any other way to get that high gloss new shine back (trailer only 4 yrs old) without using a floor wax?

Melissa
Yes most definitely. There is a selection of 3M marine products that will do the job very nicely and not overly expensive.

Which one you need depends on the amount of oxidization caulking has taken place on the trailer. They have several products - one is for light oxidation, caulking and black streaks.

while the 3M Cleaner and Wax will take off black streaks and a little bit of caulking.

On a fairly new trailer such as yours I suspect you will find that a $15 dollar bottle of one of their products will do the job really well. Some folks get away with using nothing more than a micro fiber cloth to apply it but if you have a fairly heavy oxidation and caulking using a power buffer with a wool bonnet will do the job faster.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:43 AM   #9

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:

Melissa
What Carol said, plus add "effort." It does take some work but you get what you put into the effort.

There are so many quality products for trailer/marine gel-coat care and restoration (that have been discussed so many times before), it always amazes me that people turn to floor wax. YMMV.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:46 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
There are so many quality products for trailer/marine gel-coat care and restoration (that have been discussed so many times before), it always amazes me that people turn to floor wax. YMMV.
It's kinda like brushing your teeth with Coca Cola. Tastes good for a while.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:55 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
What Carol said, plus add "effort." It does take some work but you get what you put into the effort.

Actually the reality is that applying and using a made for fiberglass product such as 3M Marine products using a power buffer to put the shine back onto a trailer that is less than 25 years old is probable less effort and time consuming than going down the floor wax road. Which one needs to repeat - after they spent a whole lot of time getting old floor wax off, every few years because it is floor wax and was never intended to be subjected to outdoor weather and/or rock chips etc.

When I purchased my Scamp it had been sitting outside in Idaho for 16 years. It had lots of oxidization/caulking on the upper half. Spent a day with a power buffer and a bottle of 3M Restore and Wax and for the next 7 years had to do nothing other than touch it up once in awhile using a micro cloth and the same 3M product to get off bug stains and black streaks and once a year it got a good waxing. With the newer waxes available that did not take much effort of time either.

People regularly commented they were surprised it was over 20 years old due to is shine.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:42 PM   #12

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Ok I will try the 3M stuff. I had a professional detailer wax and buff the trailer last year using Meguiars Marine Wax I think it was and a power buffer and I was disappointed in the lack of shine. He spent several hours on it, removed all streaks, bugs etc, went over it twice but it just didn't have that high gloss like from the factory. Maybe he needed a different bonnet???

Melissa
Old 10-22-2016, 06:02 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
There is wax and there is polish with wax. The 3M comes in three grades of polishing compound. There are other brands of polishing compound as well. My son-in-law has several on hand. It's like sandpaper, different grades of grit.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:29 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Maybe he needed a different bonnet???

Melissa
As Glenn pointed out he probable just used a cleaner and wax.

In order to get the oxidization off the trailer you need to use something with a polishing compound in it.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:52 PM   #15

Washington
I'm so sorry and surprised you were disappointed and with what the professional used. My friend first washed it with what was recommended, and then he used the Maguire 50 clean and polish wax and then he finished up with something I think it was called Maguires premium flagship for Flagstaff? Premium flag something and it's really shiny and pretty plus has the UV protection etc. He worked a good four hours on just the waxing today but it really turned out nice.He used an electric buffer some of the time. But it really really looks nice.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:31 PM   #16

Trailer: Trillium 4500
I've been down the floor wax road; awesome initial results for little labor. In my environment, it lasted 1 season. Then I had to strip it, major PITA, and redo. It's not like wax where you can just add another coat, it starts to flake off; trailer dandruff, yuck.
I'll be looking for a longer lasting, more tedious solution, in the spring.
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:24 PM   #17

Washington
Have you heard good things about that Maguires brand? It seemed to work really well for my friend
Old 10-23-2016, 01:38 AM   #18

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H View Post
I've been down the floor wax road; awesome initial results for little labor. In my environment, it lasted 1 season. Then I had to strip it, major PITA, and redo. It's not like wax where you can just add another coat, it starts to flake off; trailer dandruff, yuck.
Trailer dandruff , I'll have to remember that. No idea what your environment is, I'm in the desert with 120* summers. I get two years before the dandruff starts showing up on the sunny side. There will always be + & - opinions to which wax you like. There have been a number of posts lately that comment on Zep being a PITA to strip. Just in my experience, I can strip my SD 17 and put on 5 new coats in less than 4 hours. I've done the paste wax & buffer on other RVs and 4 hours wouldn't even do one side . Guess my question would be to those that find stripping Zep such a problem. You do have to use it full strength. OK, let the beatings begin .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 04:07 AM   #19

Floor wax

Haven't tried Zep and results may be the same the Maguires RV wax didn't do it for me. The washing can be done with any good product that will work with a non abrassive pad. Abrassive pads leave tiny scratches int he Gel Coat naked to the eye till dirt get in there but theory is the wax will fill these scratches but why scratch it in the first place. 1/4 cup of TSP in 2 gals of water worked for me with almost no scrubbing and rinse well and let dry.
3 coats of Red Max 3. Apply with a clean cotton rag (I used a white sock) with overlapping strocks in an 8 pattern.
Let dry. As said by the time it to to do my 13 foot Boler it was dry where I had started maybe 45 minutes....
Wife applied last coat too late in the evening and fog rolled in and wax ran down the side and over windows.
So do it on a sunny, dry day in the shade.
Good Luck
Old 10-26-2016, 04:50 AM   #20

Sooo Jeanne How did the wax job come out and what did you end up doing to it?

Tags
scamp