Fiber Stream: Structure and insulation question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2016, 09:26 PM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: Curently Shopping
Ohio
Fiber Stream: Structure and insulation question

Can somebody give me a quick insight into the construction of the Fiber Stream trailer body? I've poked around a bit on our site here, and have come up short, despite some threads about working on these trailers. So:
1) I understand that the outer shell is made in a single piece. Is that single fiberglass/resin shell also the inside wall? Or, is there some sort of wood/fiberglass/etc reinforcement inside of that, with another sheet of something (what?) forming the interior wall surface? It would seem that something ("studs", framing, etc) would be needed to give the wall rigidity, especially as they are flat rather than being compound curves. If there's an interior liner, is there any way to inspect the framing (for water, rot, etc) without tearing it off?
2) Insulation: Is there insulation in the walls/ceiling? I've read about some issues with condensation and wondered about this.

Thanks for any assistance/information. I've already learned so much from the posts here.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 05:02 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
My fiber Stream is a single piece. There was no real additional reinforcement other than the floor to ceiling partitions between the stove and bunk on the driver's side and those encapsulating the fridge on the other side.

We had mouldy foam insulation (about 1/2") between the fiberglass shell and an inner hardboard wall. As I work on the trailer, I am replacing that with foil one side bubble insulation used in chicken coops.

I did add heavier support at the front since I built a heavy replacement table. The replacement table is a bear to manage, and I will be going back to a normal plywood table soon.

We had major floor sagging issues, but no real rot. I first removed everything inside ( I was building new beds anyway) and reinforced the floor by laying down fiberglass mat and let the resin self-level. Underneath, I stripped away the thin aluminum sheathing that was trapping water, let it dry thoroughly, and sprayed it with truck bed liner. That was eight years ago, and it now need a touch-up.

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:59 PM   #3

Name: Mark
Trailer: Curently Shopping
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Benz View Post
My fiber Stream is a single piece. There was no real additional reinforcement other than the floor to ceiling partitions between the stove and bunk on the driver's side and those encapsulating the fridge on the other side.
Vic, thanks for the information. I guess, structurally, it is pretty much like a Scamp or Casita then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Benz View Post
We had mouldy foam insulation (about 1/2") between the fiberglass shell and an inner hardboard wall. As I work on the trailer, I am replacing that with foil one side bubble insulation used in chicken coops.
. . .
. . . reinforced the floor by laying down fiberglass mat and let the resin self-level. Underneath, I stripped away the thin aluminum sheathing that was trapping water, let it dry thoroughly, and sprayed it with truck bed liner. That was eight years ago, and it now need a touch-up.
Vic, I'm sure you've thought this through, but it's always important to have a way for materials/cavities to dry out (because it is a practical impossibility to prevent water or water vapor from ever getting inside--so when it does, there needs to be a way for the materials to dry out). If the outer shell/floor skin is impermeable (FG/resin and AL/rubber, respectively) and the inner surface is also impermeable to vapor (FG mat and resin/ hardboard) there could eventually be a problem. Anyway, as I said, I'm sure you've got a plan to provide a way for the inevitable water/water vapor to get out of your floor and walls.

Thanks for the information, I've enjoyed your posts on your Fiberstream. There's just not much information out there.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiber stream