Fiberglass Cleaner and Polish - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2007, 01:59 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have been trying out a product i found in the City for one step cleaning and polish.I think it has been mentioned before but should maybe be looked at again.

http://www.gel-gloss.com/products.php

I like it and find it works on a number of other things.

I am using the GG1 product.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Gel gloss is great stuff! Really does a super job on acrylic bathtubs too!
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 06:44 AM   #3

Trailer: Bigfoot 20 ft 5th Wheel
Chester, I'll soon have the exterior of my Bigfoot washed down and have been looking at various waxes etc. This trailer hasn't seen wax of any sort in years and at this point when you rub your hand over it you get a white powder on your skin. My son tried a spot with Turtle paste wax and it seemed to work ok but I'd like something that will really give it a shine. Would you say GG1 would work for that, or have a suggestion of something better?

Of course I have to scrape off all the old silicone from around the various doors and fixtures and redo that before I'll be ready to polish it up.
scott fraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Chester, I'll soon have the exterior of my Bigfoot washed down and have been looking at various waxes etc. This trailer hasn't seen wax of any sort in years and at this point when you rub your hand over it you get a white powder on your skin. My son tried a spot with Turtle paste wax and it seemed to work ok but I'd like something that will really give it a shine. Would you say GG1 would work for that, or have a suggestion of something better?

Of course I have to scrape off all the old silicone from around the various doors and fixtures and redo that before I'll be ready to polish it up.

I'm waiting for shipment of this:

[b]Meguiar's M6732 Marine One-Step Compound - 32 oz.

http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-M6732-Marin...d/dp/B00029CYRG

It's for heavy oxidation. I'm not sure that I'm going to need it now, except for maybe the roof. I put some apple cider vinegar on a wet washcloth and wiped a small area, and it immediately got the white oxidation off! that area would only need wax. I could also rub an area with a wet finger and it seemed to take down the white stuff.

I plan to follow up wax with this:

[b]Meguiar's M6332 Flagship Premium Marine Wax - 32 oz.

http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-M6332-Flags...9594&sr=1-1

both items were under $25., so i ordered a mequires microfiber cloth to bring the order up to $27. I couldn't find any of the products locally
tracy.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:12 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel ('ye ole bucket')
I also have to get busy and get my trailers exterior back to a possible good shine .... that stuff looks good Chester... but is it availble in the U.S or Walmart?
what i need is a 'polishing party'...LOL everyone come with their buffers and extention cords
I dread doing the top !! Its so high and no way to reach the very middle.. I have used a broom with a rag on it ....??
Christine V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:01 AM   #6

Quote:

Hi Scott
The post that Tracy made of the meguiars product is real good stuff.Up here where i live it is very costly but does the job well.I have found that any wax made for fiberglass works pretty well.Another good product i have used is Mothers Gold.This too was good.

The big thing is elbow greese.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:03 AM   #7

Quote:
I also have to get busy and get my trailers exterior back to a possible good shine .... that stuff looks good Chester... but is it availble in the U.S or Walmart?
what i need is a 'polishing party'...LOL everyone come with their buffers and extention cords
I dread doing the top !! Its so high and no way to reach the very middle.. I have used a broom with a rag on it ....??
I got mine at a local Store called (Peavy Mart).I have not noticed it anyplace else.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:19 AM   #8

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
I have been trying out a product i found in the City for one step cleaning and polish.I think it has been mentioned before but should maybe be looked at again.

http://www.gel-gloss.com/products.php

I like it and find it works on a number of other things.

I am using the GG1 product.
I also use Gel-Gloss, and have found it to be very user friendly. My ( I should say "our" ) Scamp was chalky and rubbed off white on our hands when we got it. I picked up a gallon of Gel Gloss at Camping World and tried it. (last time I looked, it was still less than $30 a gallon, so not overly expensive either) What I like about it is, unlike auto waxes, that it does not dry and get hard to buff off. The drier it gets, the easier it is to buff. I tried my power buffer and it was easier to buff with a clean terry towel (actually, the term is wipe off, not much elbow grease needed---not at all like automotive waxes) I have been using on that gallon for 4 years and still have over half left, so it goes a long ways, too. So, it has my vote... Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:24 AM   #9

$30 a Gallon is a real good deal.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:26 AM   #10

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
I hear this stuff is supposed to be excellent as well.

Vertglass
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:34 AM   #11

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
$30 a Gallon is a real good deal.
Yeah- --one of the few things that are competively priced @ CW...... Larry (and if you don't tell them you have a Scamp, they are friendly....)
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 01:52 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Yeah- --one of the few things that are competively priced @ CW...... Larry (and if you don't tell them you have a Scamp, they are friendly....)
PSSST, you can buy it at Home Depot or Lowes for about $4 a quart....which makes it about half the price of Camping World. Look in the fiberglass shower area or cleaning supplies area. It's in a pink can.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 02:19 PM   #13

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Years ago when I worked at a hardware store, we carried it in the area with the plumbing fixtures.
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 02:52 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Thumbs up

I have a 2005 Scamp and it is not oxidizes, and I just need to keep the shine and keep oxidation away. What would I need, the same stuff or something different. More one step would be nice.
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 05:57 PM   #15

Trailer: Trillium 5500 1980
Quote:
I hear this stuff is supposed to be excellent as well.

Vertglass

It is not excellent but OUTSTANDING!

I've seen the results on a 17 feet Trillium and 3 years after first application it was still first class. I have done my 13 feet Trillium this year. A long but very easy process. Each year you have to clean the surface (20 minutes) and apply two finishing coats (40 minutes total). That's it that's all.

My Trillium was in a very bad condition. I suppose that nobody ever applied anything during the last 20 years. It looks like new now!
Normand Choiniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 06:33 PM   #16

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Scamp
>It is not excellent but OUTSTANDING!

Vertglass or Gel Gloss sources besides Camping World please. Possibly hardware stores, Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart?

I am not near a camper store and would like to avoid shipping if possible.

patty
Patty57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:34 PM   #17

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:

Vertglass or Gel Gloss sources besides Camping World please. Possibly hardware stores, Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart?

patty
I buy Gel Gloss in the plumbing dept. at Home Depot. It is great on old fiberglass and the shower in the house.
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:06 PM   #18

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

I have used Gel Gloss, and get a nice sheen, but nowhere near what I think Vertglass could do. I do think that each successive application of Gel Gloss (over time) brings out a slightly better result. I average two full wash/wax procedures on my Fiber Stream per year.

Another product I have used is "FW1" that seems to equal Gel Gloss in result with slightly less effort.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:12 PM   #19

Trailer: 92 Bigfoot 13.5 ft / 05 Freestar
Quote:

patty
Check your local marina. There are a lot of fiberglass boats so they tend to have fiberglass maintenance items. Here in Canada Vertglas is cdn$99.95 for the kit, which sounds quite expensive but I saw the results on a Trillium two weeks ago and now believe it's worth spending the money. The people that owned the trailer said they only did 5 coats versus the 8 coats suggested in the instructions. I pulled up beside them at a traffic light and talked them in to pulling over so I could find out what they used to get the shine.
Bill
Bill F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:08 PM   #20

Trailer: 17 ft Oliver Legacy Elite
Send a message via Yahoo to Chuck-H
We just bought a stored outside for 3 years Casita in Vancouver,WA and there was a LOT of black streaks and mold/mildew and RVPro recommended BEST Black Streak Remover. It goes on dry, wipes off pretty easy by hand and did a GREAT job. Even found a nice shine underneath so it didn't dull the finish like some do. Will now use GelCoat to finish it off!
horsefolk
Chuck-H is offline   Reply With Quote