Fiberglass Egg Shapes - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #15

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
You no doubt have heard of the carney trick involving the difficulty of breaking an egg by pushing on the ends with thumb and forefinger.
I feel this applies in general theory when comparing our eggs to stick builts. Then we have to factor in that a hole of approximately 20% is cut into the circumferential structure for a door. In some models more for a floor. Where those two points meet is a week area oft cited as being a major factor in door sag.

The structural integrety is improved with the addition of various countours in the surface. For example the "trolley roof" not only allows for increased height, it increases structural integrity and prevents the roof from flapping as we drive down the road.

Other factors to consider are how the various components are joined. Are they riveted together? Are they screwed to wood or wood products laminated to the fiberglass? Are they glassed together at structural features?

One has to look deeper than the outer skin to understand the differences.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #16

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Thanks for the correction, Norm. The raised section is very hard to detect, at least by me. Is it the case that the Scamp roof displays more of a ripple or corrugation, as in your truck bed analogy, rather than a deep step?

jack

Old 09-11-2013, 09:50 AM   #17

Delaware
Brian, there is a recent thread by Cathy Futrell, subject being her difficulty getting rigid window frames to fay with the vertical wall curvature of her Love Bug. One correspondent concluded that the wall curvature in the window area was likely the result of outward sag due to roof weight rather than mold-determined.

jack
Old 09-11-2013, 10:02 AM   #18

Ontario
Quote:
Think it may have been Roy?
Are you trying to egg me on?
Old 09-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #19

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Jack,

From the front or rear it's difficult to detect the Scamp's trolly because it blends down to the curvature of the trailer. From the side it's clear that it's 3 or four inches. The top of the trolly section is also curved like most Scamp surfaces though not too much for a flexible solar panel.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #20

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Hmmmmm, it sounds like we are discussing the design of the next spacecraft to Mars..... where a single fitting can cost more than a new Scamp.

It appears that the sagging door issue is more associated with certain mfgs. than shape. Bigfoot, for example, built a 13' egg, but used a square edge flat door to take care of that issue.

And remember that Boler begat Scamp and the dozens of other followers just knocked off from those designs, hence the popularity of the shape.

I think that personal preference and use trumps any MPG differences that shape might imbue.

For a given envelope size the square trailer will have more useful storage and sleeping space. Those that get relegated to the back area of the dinette/bed (me)or the front bunks of most Eggs will agreed I am sure.

As far as sturdiness, my 1973 Hunter is as old as 99% of the eggs out there and it's square shape is as sturdy and rigid as it was 40 years ago.

Again, go with what you like, and ferget the engineering considerations.....
Old 09-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #21
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Looking at the Trillium and the Scamp, roof and sides look similar but the front clearly shows the curves Jack alluded to.

If I'm not mistaken weren't the early Bolers flat tops?
Old 09-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #22

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Bigfoot, for example, built a 13' egg, but used a square edge flat door to take care of that issue.

And remember that Boler begat Scamp and the dozens of other followers just knocked off from those designs, hence the popularity of the shape.
Knowing the industry history shows that many of these trailers were not knockoffs since they used the original molds produced in Canada. Even Bigfoot was started by one of the 3 partners who produced the original boler.

Cat has an early Love Bug, presumably pre-fire made at Tri-Fab in Tripoli, IA. Tri-Fab, Evelands and Century Manufacturing all fabricated the boler American for Eleanor International using the molds produced in Canada by the original boler company. After the short life cycle of the boler American, they rebranded the product under their own names. It would be ludicrous to assume that these small firms would retool the molds after a short lived failure.

Although Cat does have a "rare" trailer, it is not all that unique. Thousands of trailers were produced using the same molds incorporating flat windows on the sides.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #23

Delaware
I edited to remove the misattribution of sound thinking on the window installation issue, Roy.

jack
Old 09-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #24

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
As happened in the Dunebuggy craze of the later 60's and early 70's, it is fairly easy to take an existing fiberglass component, modify it slightly, make a mold, and start production of ones own idea. Just ask an old friend on mine, Bruce Meyers of Meyers Manx fame.

The front end of my personal 1954 Corvette was used as the plug for molds for replacement 53-55 Corvette front ends and they didn't even have to remove it from the vehicle to make the mold.

For those reasons I think it reasonable that some of the Eggs of the 70's came from molds pirated in the same manner from existing examples.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #25

Ontario
Yes Jack, it was me that alluded to body bulge in Cat's thread:
Love Bug - Help with Windows
In post 4 there are pictures, you can see the "bulge" at the window is more than that of the "straighter" wall at the door where the closet is attached. Drew posted pictures (post 21) which shows the flat window installed in the opposite side on what appears to be a flatter body than seen in Cat's pictures. Later in post 22 he posted a picture which clearly shows the flap of fiberglass (top left corner of picture) that connects the body by the door to the frame and floor. This is the exact area that many cite as the area of weakness for the body bulge, door sag issue. There is frequently rotted wood, rusted screws and delamination in the area.

Yes Bob, I agree, that probably explains some of the minor variations we see through the many boler like trailers of the 70's.

I'm still trying to figure out where the other 2 locations that were mentioned in the startup of boler American.
http://www.bolerama.org/bolerbusiness.html
Old 09-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #26

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
One correspondent concluded that the wall curvature in the window area was likely the result of outward sag due to roof weight rather than mold-determined.
I think the sag theory makes sense. In my Boler (which is the 1700, which doesn't actually share any shape details with the original 1300) the sides in the range of height including the window areas are clearly designed to be flat, but bulging of the body curves that outward in places where there is no interior cabinetry or window frame to hold it flat. This is source of some door fit problems, as well as window problems.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #27

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Regardless of the shape of the rest of the trailer, almost all window areas are designed to be flat, so special windows are not required, and the shape does not affect the installation. Similarly, large flat areas on the sides accommodate refrigerator vents and other fittings.

Notable exceptions are the front windows and in some cases rear windows of the Boler 1300 and various trailers (such as Scamps) derived from it. These windows are just flat sheets of acrylic held in the opening by a rubber gasket; they are not formed to curve of the body, they are just forced into place and will spring back to flat if removed (at least initially).
The front and rear windows on the Burro 13 are curved to the sides but straight up and down. Even though there are what looks like molded flat areas in the fiberglass where the windows are mounted, the center of both windows bulges out 1.5 inches out more than the sides. They used standard flat sliding windows and bent the aluminum frame to match the fiberglass contour. The windows use acrylic instead of glass so it can flex as they slide open and closed.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #28

Delaware
Andy, if you put a strait edge on the flats of the fore and aft windows bumpouts., do you detect rocker on the separate halves or only over the centerline. Neither one is good. I rebedded rear slider on my later Burro17 last year. Flange of Kinro frame was tight everywhere before sucking up thru the clamp ring.

jack