Fiberglass Egg Shapes - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #29

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Andy, if you put a strait edge on the flats of the fore and aft windows bumpouts., do you detect rocker on the separate halves or only over the centerline. Neither one is good. I rebedded rear slider on my later Burro17 last year. Flange of Kinro frame was tight everywhere before sucking up thru the clamp ring.

jack
Both, one of them is more or less flat on either side of the seam, with the curve mostly at the center seam. The other one is more of a smooth curve from one side of the window to the other.
When a part is made in a mold there is a taper on the walls of the mold so that the piece can be removed. The taper is called the draft. When the two halves of the shell are joined the draft creates what I described. The curved mounting surface limits the type of window that can be installed unless the surface is built up to make it flat.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #30

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
You certainly need draft in a mold to avoid trapping the part. However, on a big mold, small localized features can be levered free and the feature we're discussing is right at the edge of the mold. I missed the halcyon days of dune buggy piracy but with five years laying up parts for glass ocean cruisers, I blew and wedged and beat enuf parts out of and off of molds to know that there's more to successful release than lots of draft.

I can operate the sliding sash of either my front or back window without turning a hair. I would guess that a lack of fixturing at assembly of the hull halves might produce an arrowhead shape with the apex on the centerline. I'm having trouble believing that the Plymouth MN and Sac City IA molds would have rocker in the window mounting flats unless by distortion from tabbing to external cradle or reinforcement. Anyone with an older Burro who's seen the situation Andy describes?

jack

Old 09-11-2013, 08:53 PM   #31

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Addendum to last:

The glazing in my Kinro sliders is glass rather than acrylic or polycarb. They do not bend!

jack