Fiberglass gelcoat on 19' 5th - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-22-2013, 09:51 AM   #1

Name: Wesley
Trailer: 1989 19ft 5th Deluxe Scamp
Missouri
Fiberglass gelcoat on 19' 5th

I was getting ready to clean the gelcoat with bar keepers and wash with the PST and I was wondering if I need to use white 3M scub pads with the bar keepers or will any scub pad work ? I"m having trouble finding the white ones !!! THANKS Wes

Old 01-22-2013, 10:11 AM   #2

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter_41 View Post
I was getting ready to clean the gelcoat with bar keepers and wash with the PST and I was wondering if I need to use white 3M scub pads with the bar keepers or will any scub pad work ? I"m having trouble finding the white ones !!! THANKS Wes
I just used the crunchy green pads from the dollar store with the BKF and was satisfied.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:32 AM   #3

Name: Art
Trailer: Helite
I would not use anything that has abrasive in it. Check the barkeepers to see if it does.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #4

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art VanDelay View Post
I would not use anything that has abrasive in it. Check the barkeepers to see if it does.
It does- almost as fine as jeweler's rouge, but still an abrasive.

It's the abrasive (and you!) that actually does the "work" when using B.F. to scrub fiberglass- the other main ingredient, oxalic acid, is good for rust removal but has little if any effect when simply cleaning fiberglass.

And do remember that as with any abrasive, that white stuff coming off on the pad contains a little bit of gelcoat, so don't get too carried away!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #5

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I used green, left some very fine marks, can't tell after the floor polish is on.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot, Trillium, Scamp 5th Wheel
Spokane Wa. and Las Vegas, Nv.
Registry
The barkeepers friend didn't touch whatever had soaked into my gel coat. I then went to Lowes to buy muriatic acid and noticed a box of PST. I decided to give it a try before the muriatic acid and it worked incredibly. I mixed it pretty heavy, scrubbed it into the finish as good as possible and let it sit for a few minutes then came back again and again. I'd say the PST took out about 90% of whatever is in the gel coat. It looks 100% better. I might now go back over it with the barkeepers and see if it will help.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:44 PM   #7

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I use a mixture of bleach and water.
Using an abrasive will remove gel coat. Get in the habit of using an abrasive and you will go all the way through to the glass.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #8

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
That's definitely worth a shot first. Mine was stained with brown and green spots, nothing took it off except barkeepers friend and scotchbrite. I got the gel coat thin in two small spots, so no, you don't want to keep doing it, but that's why you use the floor polish.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:58 PM   #9

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
If the gelcoat is powdery (is that a word?) you've already lost some of it. The idea is to get the "loose" stuff off and down to an acceptable surface. Rather than keep scrubbing and losing more, I'd suggest soaking a rag in bleach and laying it on the stains (keep it wet). I've read where that works for leaf stains, etc. Certainly worth a try before grinding away what's left of the finish.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:13 PM   #10

Registry
Has anyone tried putting clear coat over the gelcoat instead of floor polish? An inexpensive clear seems like it would be a good option.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:17 PM   #11

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Clear coat still needs to be waxed... it's not an "end all" solution. It's just paint.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:19 PM   #12

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
In my painting experience there is no inexpensive clear coat and what clear coat I have used must go over a compatible surface and I'd be surprised if raw gel coat is compatible. I'm sure you have seen a car that has the clear coming off-a bear to repair and make look good. I don't think I would try it.YMMV
Old 01-23-2013, 05:51 AM   #13

Registry
You're probably right. I'm still seriously considering painting my Scamp but until I get around to it I want to use it. I just cleaned it real well with the TSP and want to protect the surface. I hate the thought of putting all that wax on and then having to remove it if I do end up painting; whereas I could shoot a coat of clear on it and just paint over the clear when I'm ready.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:46 AM   #14

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
You're probably right. I'm still seriously considering painting my Scamp but until I get around to it I want to use it. I just cleaned it real well with the TSP and want to protect the surface. I hate the thought of putting all that wax on and then having to remove it if I do end up painting; whereas I could shoot a coat of clear on it and just paint over the clear when I'm ready.
Red Max makes a stripper for Pro, and I think ammonia will dissolve/remove it, too. It also serves as "its own solvent", meaning that you can refresh/renew it with fresh stuff simply by applying a new coat.

Since you'd probably have to wipe the whole rig down with something before you topped clearcoat with paint anyway, I think you'd be better off using the Pro. That way your eventual paint job would have the original gelcoat to adhere to without an intervening film of clearcoat.

Francesca

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp