Fiberglass Gelcoat Repair - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-21-2011, 10:34 AM   #1

Name: Frederic&Belen
Trailer: 1986 19 ft Bigfoot
Fiberglass Gelcoat Repair

Is there a sticky somewhere about the repair process, maybe links and resources to repairing the repair? I am looking for information on different types of gelcoat issues including, holes, cracks and dings.

We have a couple of hairline cracks, nothing serious, but I wanted to know where I could find specific repair information for when I may need it.

Thanks.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:08 PM   #2

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredericL View Post
Is there a sticky somewhere about the repair process, maybe links and resources to repairing the repair? I am looking for information on different types of gelcoat issues including, holes, cracks and dings.

We have a couple of hairline cracks, nothing serious, but I wanted to know where I could find specific repair information for when I may need it.

Thanks.
Talk to the boat guys - This is one of the better sites I have seen, great tutorials and resources. Restoration - fiberglassics.com

For cracks, I use the Evercoat GelCoat repair kit. It comes with a tube of white paste and color agents and good instructions. Paste is best for small repairs like cracks and holes. Polyester resin will not cure totally in air without special additives or special coatings. The kits have a special blend that solves that problem.

Hope that helps!

Old 07-21-2011, 01:52 PM   #3

Name: Frederic&Belen
Trailer: 1986 19 ft Bigfoot
Thanks, great resource.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
Thanks, great resource.
Welcome! Someone else posted a link to them a while back, They saved me!

BTW http://www.jamestowndistributors.com great place to order any of your needed materials. Unless you are in a boating community Fiberglass supplies are usually tough to come by! Please post pictures of your work
Old 07-22-2011, 12:58 PM   #5

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
Thanks David for the link; have some scratches from branches and the like that need to be fixed correctly
Old 08-09-2011, 04:42 AM   #6

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor

You need to open up the crack to a bevel shape--with a dremel tool or something, and then paint the gelcoat in there.

Read up on it first Don Casey's book is good. Or just Google Gelcoat repairs and you will find lots of info.

Do not do gelcoat work in humid conditions--it won't dry.

Getting a good color match will take you 30 tries. I get it close and live with it =, or paint it. Painting is far easier, the holes are filled, the whole things gets washed, wiped with solvent and then primed and painted. Sounds like a lot of work? Gelcoat is 10 times harder.

Quote:

Thanks.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:46 PM   #7

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
Check on Google. The process is complex. There are two types of gelcoat, one with a surfacing wax and one without. Gelcoat will not vure if exposed to air. So ypu either need the wax type or something to cover it like wax paper or liquid or spray wax. Any of these can change the surface and require sandimg and doing over. For small jobs I use wax paper. Big jobs really need to be spayed indoors in the winter with heat lamps.

I can tell from uncounted hours workimg with two part epoxy paints and gelcoat, that you are better off painting. It is very esy to grind out crack, fill and fair the a few times until perfectly smooth, prime with two part epoxy paint, like Interlux 2000E, and deal with all the solvents, sanding and washing to do a two part epoxy paint job, than it is to do gelcoat repairs.

With gelcoat ypu might find it does not set up or it takes a whole winter to dry. Or you cpuld have a gooie mess to scrspe off. At least if you paint you are assured good results in a timely manner.

All that bfing said, if I only had a few little cracks, and I did not care if the color match was perfect, I might attempt a gel coat repair.

Do a search online and read everything you can about it first, and do not ignore any warnings. Be sure to use the wax type gelcoat, and you msy have satisfactory results.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:21 PM   #8

Name: Larry
Trailer: 1976 trillium
Ontario
is there any one that is good in on. that does that repair i do not want to tackle it myself as we are trying to keep it as original as possible. thanks old yeller