Fiberglass patch for vent? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2009, 07:30 PM   #1

Trailer: 1985 Companion
I want to remove some unused vents on my Companion camper. The camper won't be using LP accessories, nor an exhaust hood. There are three vents that I eventually want to fill in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	companioncampervents_002.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	18928

Has anyone found a good material to use for these holes? I have used fiberglass resin and matting in the past for repairs, but using a filler panel would be a logical starting point for this process. I can access the panels from the pack for resin/matting.

Thanks,
Gary
Gary Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:19 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler 1984
Gary
If you can find an adjacent area that has the same curvature you can make a patch by covering it with plastic and then form your patch with a couple of layers of mat or cloth. Bevel all edges of the patch and the hole and then glass your newly made patch into it's proper place. Glass it in from BOTH sides and then sand the outer side smooth and finish as you wish.
Just be sure to give us pictures of your progress.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:56 AM   #3

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft
Gary, I have a Uhaul that I did the same thing to. I took out the furnace & fridge out & had someone I work with do the fiberglass work. I know that he used cardboard & matting to do this. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Patty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Gary,

I am closing the front window on my Astro/Campster as I post this, when I work with large holes I use fiberglass reinforced board available at home depot, I use the panel in reverse, its the skeleton I use to build up on. Also it saves costs (about 1/2) on materials on large fills. I am closing two smaller holes used for my heater I will photo and post that as well...I will photo the larger job and post it in about two weeks so all can see how I do this and the final results...When done this way the results do not disappoint me, I like this better than the traditional way doing a matte and build up on peel plastic.

If you need instructions in advance or faster feel free to p.m. me.

Happy Camping

Harry
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:04 PM   #5

Thanks, Harry. That is exactly what I was looking for. I would appreciate any pictures or details as they become available.

Gary

Quote:
Gary,

I am closing the front window on my Astro/Campster as I post this, when I work with large holes I use fiberglass reinforced board available at home depot, I use the panel in reverse, its the skeleton I use to build up on. Also it saves costs (about 1/2) on materials on large fills. I am closing two smaller holes used for my heater I will photo and post that as well...I will photo the larger job and post it in about two weeks so all can see how I do this and the final results...When done this way the results do not disappoint me, I like this better than the traditional way doing a matte and build up on peel plastic.

If you need instructions in advance or faster feel free to p.m. me.

Happy Camping

Harry
Old 04-02-2009, 01:22 PM   #6

Trailer: Compact Jr 1972
Registry
Gary,

I did the same thing Harry is talking about - used "FRB" as the bulk insert and matted/resined it into place. FRB is the stuff they use in public restrooms as wall board, it typically has a glossy and textured side, and a flat smooth back side. Home Despot has it in 4 by 8 foot sheets.

My rig had a 'stop sign' screwed and siliconed to the top to cover the old roof vent hole when I bought it. No kidding. Because a full paint job was in the plan, I left the smooth side of the FRB exposed on the outside to recieve paint, and built up the inside with glass.

I cut an 'exact' filler piece for the hole. Then roughed-up the gloss side for adhesion. I taped the piece in place - flush, from the outside. Then, working from the back, I ran glass matting strips along all four sides, then matted over them and built the repair up to the roof's thickness. I filled the seams on the outside with marine epoxy filler, then used Bondo to blend, feather and hide the repair. The FRB took the primer and paint just fine. One year later it's still good to go.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4126.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	18983
Phill Roehrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:51 PM   #7

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Gary,

Phil does pretty much what I do, the only thing I do in not use the bondo, for me its heavy, I use a lighter fairing compound that makes blending and sanding faster and less elbow intensive. I am glad he brought up the exact cut out insert trick to exactly fill the hole you are patching.

Keep checking in to this site, I will post a step by step if someone does not beat me to it...There are a number of ways to do this...each person I have ever run into has a slightly different trick or has a material preference...that is 100% o.k. Its an ART not a SCIENCE so 1st you glean the tricks of the intrepid here... then go create your own technique, if it turns out well then post, if it flops then post...the oops information is as important as the crowing.

You might try the search feature on this site, it will gather past past posts on the subject using key search terms, it will keep you busy...some posts have contained suggested reading, also a few have suggested DVD "how too" sources.

Your an artist now man! Create a F.B.R.V. trailer!

Harry
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:31 PM   #8

Thanks, guys! This is very helpful information.